Short riders

Leanne

Hi and welcome 

Yes we can help! 

We will all just tell you to go get your full bike licence as someone is talking shite to you 

If it was  a training school that told you that then they probably mean they don't have small bikes 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Leanne said:

Hi I'm 5 foot tall and basically been told I can't get full bike liecence can anyone help

By "Full Licence" do you mean Full class A unrestricted? .... Or full A1 or A2?

As Stu says you just need to find a school that has a suitable bike for the shorter rider.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Leanne said:

Hi I'm 5 foot tall and basically been told I can't get full bike liecence can anyone help

I don't know who's told you that but I suspect that the person who did might also tell you that the covid vaccine contains nanobots designed to allow the government to control your bowel movements.

There are plenty of low-seat bikes around and no restrictions on rider height.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

What a load of bollocks!!

Yes you certainly can get your full bike license. You'll just be limited what bikes you can get on!! And by that i'm not talking power wise or any other legality just which you can get your leg over :lol:

Plenty of bikes can be lowered as well so thats not too much of an issue either

• Like 1

A person of five foot height can easily ride a Triumph Bobber. They have a very low seating position. So as folk have said, whoever told you you can't get a full license was woefully misinformed.

There are other bikes as well, but you'd only want the best of course.

I agree with everyone else but add the caveat it might be harder to find training that is accessible. My instructor had two CBF600s as his school bikes and I can imagine they would be difficult at five foot. He had no other options that he would have been able to offer. 
I think it is well worth ringing around your options for trainers asking what bikes they use. 
there is a website that describes the ergonomics of height and bikes by model. 
then pick your best bet and book a sighting lesson to see. 
if you have not got your CBT yet start with that and with 125s being generally a bit smaller you might just be fine :-) 

I’m 6’ 2” with a 34 inch inside leg .... totally fed up with having to have my bike seats re-upholstered as they always seem to made for short asses ....🤣

Just now, Trooper74 said:

I’m 6’ 2” with a 34 inch inside leg .... totally fed up with having to have my bike seats re-upholstered as they always seem to made for short asses ....🤣

Lucky you. I'm 6' 0" with a 30" inside leg so spend a lot of time on tip toe. There's not many bikes I can get both feet flat on the ground. Just need to be careful on slopes as it can get embarrassing  fast.

On 22/03/2021 at 13:32, Tiggie said:

What a load of bollocks!!

Yes you certainly can get your full bike license. You'll just be limited what bikes you can get on!! And by that i'm not talking power wise or any other legality just which you can get your leg over :lol:

Plenty of bikes can be lowered as well so thats not too much of an issue either

A friends (now ex-) girlfriend  is about 5’ 2” and had a 1200 Buell at one point. She had it lowered to accommodate her bottom being close to the ground. The only issue she had was that, being slight of build, she occasionally needed help moving it around.

While an exceptional rider, Joceline Snow shows that size doesn’t matter (as in rider height... 😊).

Joceline Snow Youtube Video

Edited by Steve_M

Dosen't make sense to me . How high do you think a motorcycle seat is ? The Honda Rebel is so low you could trip over it . 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Dosen't make sense to me . How high do you think a motorcycle seat is ? The Honda Rebel is so low you could trip over it . 

I’d have to put sliders on my bollox if I rode one of those ... & wouldn’t be able to see passed my knees 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2021 at 11:29, Leanne said:

Hello! Shorty here too (5'3).

They are talking shite - they basically mean 'we haven't lowered any of our MOD bikes to suit smaller riders and can't be bothered to'.
So firstly, find another school. 

Secondly, there are a few tricks up your sleeve if lowering a bike OR shaving the seat is out of the question when getting your big bike! 

• Look for riding boots with a good heel, that extra inch makes all the difference (he he😉)
  • Check out bikes with a more tapered seat, this will mean less straddling needed, and therefore more foot on the ground. 
  • If the height is a confidence barrier, pick a more lightweight model - first bikes are rarely forever, so you can always 'move up' as confidence and skill grows
  • Plan your stops! Look ahead at the road in front - if it slopes, can you put the opposite foot down? Can you make use of a kerb? Should you park in a way that means you can get on and ride out, rather than walking it backwards as you went into the space front end first?
  • When parking up etc. Dont feel like you HAVE to do move it around still on the bike. Get off and walk it if it is easier. Better to safely move it around then try and look cool and drop it. 
  • Use this website if you know your inside leg! It will help narrow down your bike search 
  • Go to showrooms and sit on loads of bikes! Just because you are 5 foot doesnt mean your inside leg is petite. I'm considered petite but my inside leg is 30", so Im just short in the body really and petite trousers are too short normally!
  • You could go out on those green laning/motocross etc courses - those bikes are TALL but there's loads of handy skills to be learnt, from how to pick up heavy bikes through to controlling a bike at a stop when you can barely touch the floor. 

If i think of anything else i'll add it, but I've only ever flat footed my 125 (just), everything else Im confident enough on the balls of my feet now. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, elizabethf said:

Hopefully the above is useful for non-troll shorties too!!

Your point about the WIDTH of the seat makes great sense . I'd never thought of the issue like that before . 👍

• Like 2