LEJOG

Slowlycatchymonkey

Afternoon. Hope you’re all well. 
My plan a couple of years ago was to do LEJOG but other things happened as is life’s way.
Now so long as Covid doesn’t mess with things 🤷‍♀️ it’s happening end of May. The times booked off and I have surprised myself by joining Nathan Millward’s Garbage Run, surprised because I assumed I’d be on my tod or with my husband not part of a group. TBH £295 for 8 days was a draw.

If it can’t go ahead in that format then myself and my other half will be going regardless. It’s up to 190miles a day and all back roads so “you can be riding for up to 7 hours a day” I like it because there’s a start n stop destination, you have a route but no obligation to ride in a group, you can “do your own thing”

Training will commence in earnest as soon as we’re allowed out.

My version of mechanical cover is road side assistance but in the highlands I think a puncture repair kit and a multi tool are sensible to carry. Over the years if any roadside disasters have unfolded some kindly person has always stopped to help and I’ve discovers they can’t do much if you don’t have the right kit 🤪

Leatherman seem to be the premium name that keeps popping up but I’m bored of looking at multitools when I don’t know what I’m looking for? Any opinions on best multitools or puncture repair kits? Is there anything else you’d consider essential?

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

Multitool not sure but would not leave home without, Roll of gaffer tape, some cable ties, small or medium mole grips (Great emergency levers lol).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Multitool not sure but would not leave home without, Roll of gaffer tape, some cable ties, small or medium mole grips (Great emergency levers lol).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian

Tape and electrical ties have been a companion for a while, wouldnt attempt kidnap without them 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've got a Leather man surge. Absolutely fantastic tool, lost count of how many times it's come in useful. Its feels really well made with some serious heft to it.

Only bad thing is hiding how much it cost from the Wife 🤫

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I've got a Leather man surge. Absolutely fantastic tool, lost count of how many times it's come in useful. Its feels really well made with some serious heft to it.

Only bad thing is hiding how much it cost from the Wife 🤫

The tool that gives you “man surge” 😂 Brilliant.

• Haha 1

I've done Porlock to Ullapool overnight with a caravan on the back took about 13hrs ish with lots of wind behind us although that was in a very comfy audi.

Best side to go up on the Scottish leg other side is boring past Inverness.

34 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not yet in the know, but all back roads. This gives a rough idea from a previous Garbage Run, I can guess at most of them but not all. Pretty sure the hours and miles shown is not correct. 

8D4F1012-8AD5-4A7B-A0C6-E2C4CCFA45ED.png

Wow .. thats the motorbike route ..... very different from the cycling route ... have fun ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Not yet in the know, but all back roads. This gives a rough idea from a previous Garbage Run, I can guess at most of them but not all. Pretty sure the hours and miles shown is not correct. 

8D4F1012-8AD5-4A7B-A0C6-E2C4CCFA45ED.png

That route passes within about 3 miles of us. When is it happening - just want to be sure to be out that day. 🤔😁

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Did  the June 2019 Garbage Run with Nathan - had a great time 😁👍

I took a multi tool, gaffer tape, cable ties, a puncture repair can of foam stuff as I had tubed tyres, and a small 12v compressor. Whenever I go on a long tour I always fit new tyres and have never (so far touch wood), suffered a puncture. If it’s any thing more serious your breakdown cover is the get out. As a guide one of the bikes taking part split a radiator 😫

You will find that there is  a very varied section of bikes taking part which makes it interesting, I rode a 1979 French reg BMW R65 from Near Le Mans and met up with Nathan’s group at Lands End for the start. Just remember once you get to John O Groats you have the return journey home 😃

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2021 at 11:29, M620 said:

Did  the June 2019 Garbage Run with Nathan - had a great time 😁👍

I took a multi tool, gaffer tape, cable ties, a puncture repair can of foam stuff as I had tubed tyres, and a small 12v compressor. Whenever I go on a long tour I always fit new tyres and have never (so far touch wood), suffered a puncture. If it’s any thing more serious your breakdown cover is the get out. As a guide one of the bikes taking part split a radiator 😫

You will find that there is  a very varied section of bikes taking part which makes it interesting, I rode a 1979 French reg BMW R65 from Near Le Mans and met up with Nathan’s group at Lands End for the start. Just remember once you get to John O Groats you have the return journey home 😃

What a lovely reply Thankyou. 
Eclectic mix is what makes this mad country worthwhile 😂

Looking forward to kicking off LEJOG next friday 😬👍

• Like 2