When to buy my first bike!

NE150N80

Hey all! So I have my CBT at start of the May (cannot wait - earliest date we could arrange!)

Looking on here and various Facebook groups, I see a lot of people seem to buy their first 125 prior to doing their CBT so they can crack on and start putting the newly acquired skills to practice. 

I’m guessing this also helps with insurance, in that you can take your time in finding the best price.

Just looking for thoughts really, and opinions on what other people have done.

Thanks!

I bought mine a week after my CBT. Then I just took my time for the first few weeks. 
monkey thing I wish was that I had found a way to buy second hand Japanese rather than Chinese on finance. I loved my bike and it worked but I lost 1500 and needn’t have done so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, NE150N80 said:

I see a lot of people seem to buy their first 125 prior to doing their CBT so they can crack on and start putting the newly acquired skills to practice. 

You might find your CBT instructor is able to bring a range of basic bike types and you get to choose by sitting on and riding, rather than by photos and reviews on the web (as valuable as those things are). 

You might find after you CBT that you want a different bike because it felt right for you. 

• Like 1

I already had my bike before I did my CBT and as @Six30 says I was straight out on it! 

Glad I did quite a bit of time on 125s (albeit different 125s!) because it gave me good experience on the road without too much power to get myself into trouble. That said, once I passed my full test I then progressed relatively quickly up to a YZF 600 which I loved. Did loads of trips on that. 

You'll quickly get a feel for what suits you and as @James in Brum said I'd look for a cheaper bike if possible as you'll probably fancy a change along the way. 

Most of all, good luck on your CBT and welcome to the world of motorcycling! :thumb:

57 minutes ago, dynax said:

I bought mine a couple of weeks before my CBT and I was out on it the very next day  :thumb:

then the stupid piece of Chinese crap broke down.

:roll:

Ive never ridden a 125 in my life... and unless its a matter of age  restrictions or budgetary concerns. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would.

Are you not old enough for the direct access scheme?

Edited by Gerontious

37 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Ive never ridden a 125 in my life... and unless its a matter of age  restrictions or budgetary concerns. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would.

Are you not old enough for the direct access scheme?

Yeah I’m 41, so can go for the full A license. However, everyone I’ve spoken to has advised getting a 125 to hone road skills for a few months while you do big-bike lessons, leading up to Mod1 and Mod2.

Welcome thoughts though!

1 hour ago, NE150N80 said:

Yeah I’m 41, so can go for the full A license. However, everyone I’ve spoken to has advised getting a 125 to hone road skills for a few months while you do big-bike lessons, leading up to Mod1 and Mod2.

Welcome thoughts though!

I would advise skipping the 125 if you do direct access. It would be better  to have a bike that can ride at the legal speed limit for extended periods, which few 125’s can. There are some good lightweight 300-500 cc bikes that would do that, allow you to get those miles under your belt and  gain relevant experience.

If it was me I’d go for one of the Honda 500cc range.

Next step, join the IAM or RoSPA and get advanced training (other organisations are available).

PS. You’re Lincolnshire? Have a look at the Lincolnshire road safety event at Cadwell Park.  .This. Great fun, and you learn a hell of a lot.

Edited by Steve_M

Welcome thoughts though!

Plenty of good 500cc and below bikes if you want to start low cc

You will be riding 600 doing das, it's personal choice if you want to ride 125 while doing das or if you want to wait and pass.

I got one so I could ride and practice alongside lessons, traded it in and got back what I paid. There is always a market for 125's

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yeah, I think I feel more comfortable getting a 125 so that I can get straight out after my CBT and start getting experience on a less powerful machine. Plan is ride ride this around on a day to day and take big bike lessons over a few months then take the Mod1 and Mod2.

Steve M - thanks for mentioning the IAM and RoSPA... I was reading up about these the other day and am definitely very interested. I will be adding the Cadwell Park one to the list. I’m conscious I’m starting my biking life slightly late at 41, so I know I have some catching up to do! ;) Extra courses very welcome.

Is there value in doing both IAM and RoSPA, or are they effectively the same? I heard about ERS too? 

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yeah, I think I feel more comfortable getting a 125 so that I can get straight out after my CBT and start getting experience on a less powerful machine. Plan is ride ride this around on a day to day and take big bike lessons over a few months then take the Mod1 and Mod2.

Steve M - thanks for mentioning the IAM and RoSPA... I was reading up about these the other day and am definitely very interested. I will be adding the Cadwell Park one to the list. I’m conscious I’m starting my biking life slightly late at 41, so I know I have some catching up to do! ;) Extra courses very welcome.

Is there value in doing both IAM and RoSPA, or are they effectively the same? I heard about ERS too? 

I started riding at 38. 

IAM  and RoSPA are, for all intents and purposes, identical. I’ve been a member of the IAM, and am a current member of RoSPA, I’ve been on the local group committees for both, and have been an observer for the IAM and a Tutor for RoSPA. Both work from Roadcraft as the basis of the system of riding.

Key differences will be the organisation and membership of the local group. I found significant differences between groups and how they operate when I relocated. Not better or worse, just different. 

I’m not aware of ERS so can’t comment. 

EDIT:  Ah, the Enhanced Rider Scheme (Google was my friend).. it seems this is really an introduction to advanced riding. I was encouraged into the local IAM group from a Bikesafe course... anything that makes you more competent and safer has got to be useful. 

I would recommend doing something to extend your ability as an ongoing exercise. Track training days (not track days*, but days where you’re taught cornering technique), trail riding, i2i courses... even Motogymkhana... it all makes you a better rider. 

*though they can be fun ... with the right organisation.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I started riding at 38. 

IAM  and RoSPA are, for all intents and purposes, identical. I’ve been a member of the IAM, and am a current member of RoSPA, I’ve been on the local group committees for both, and have been an observer for the IAM and a Tutor for RoSPA. Both work from Roadcraft as the basis of the system of riding.

Key differences will be the organisation and membership of the local group. I found significant differences between groups and how they operate when I relocated. Not better or worse, just different. 

I’m not aware of ERS so can’t comment. 

EDIT:  Ah, the Enhanced Rider Scheme (Google was my friend).. it seems this is really an introduction to advanced riding. I was encouraged into the local IAM group from a Bikesafe course... anything that makes you more competent and safer has got to be useful. 

I would recommend doing something to extend your ability as an ongoing exercise. Track training days (not track days*, but days where you’re taught cornering technique), trail riding, i2i courses... even Motogymkhana... it all makes you a better rider. 

*though they can be fun ... with the right organisation.

Addendum...

Bikesafe

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NE150N80 said:

Welcome thoughts though!

Until I came along...  If you are in the right position to do the Direct Access Scheme. then do so. As pointed out this will be done on a 600cc. Over the years Ive seen so many who have gone down this route. From zero experience to a full license within weeks. One thing you don't see is regret that they made the wrong decision.

In my view there is only one valid reason for anyone to begin on a 125.. and thats age/insurance. If you begin on a 125 then it makes sense to keep it for a year.. so, these are people who are planning ahead. ride the 125 for a year then do training and the test. Pass and with the equity on  the 125 plus a years no claims.. it can be easier on the wallet to move up.

Otherwise. DAS. and follow that up with advanced training once you have your first 'big bike' - thats the way to go.

I learnt on a 250. zero training. and the test was no more complicated than riding around the block, watched by a geezer in a flat cap. armed with a clipboard and stopwatch.  who... as it happened fluffed his overly dramatic emergency stop signal... a bus got in the way. Nowadays the test in its entirety follows a level of training that was unheard of in the past. You are far more prepared to ride on the road than I ever was.

if you want to take it easy post-test. I would definitely recommend one of the modern crop of 300cc bikes. with ABS etc.

• Thanks 1

I did 125  (Yamaha ybr) thing first, no regrets.   3 months 3000 miles.

Bike depreciated £100, be smart with insurance so you can switch to multi bike can save money.  Although others is cheaper to cancel when you change up.

I did not do intensive DAS I did it over afew weeks.

Various weather conditions, my instructor would not book mod 2 until I had passed mod 1.

Cost no more than a DAS course. I rode to and from lessons on my 125 learned the type of riding I enjoyed and bought a more suitable 600cc

When I had passed my test.

• Like 1

If you're intending moving on up to a bigger bike later, then why not keep things simple and just do DAS? The instructors will teach you how to handle the bike and make sure you know how to ride safely. You can do it as an intensive course or spread it out over a few weeks, like Onesea, so you'd have your full licence in June or July. You need have passed a CBT before starting DAS, so that bits not wasted. The 125 route can work out cheaper, but DAS means you'll be riding a 500 or 600 this summer. :classic_biggrin:

You have to do what you are most confident with.  I started later than you at 50 - bought a jag, bought a bike, and just have to get the courage for a tattoo to complete my mid-life crisis 😳

I went the 125 route for a couple of years after doing my cbt, and used it daily on my short commute.  This gave me experience on the road in all weathers, and in all the different scenarios you encounter. Did my DAS as a 4 day course at the end of last summer with no problems (apart from a Southend to Ipswich journey for the test - bloody covid!).

I'll be selling the 125 soon, confident that I'll not loose more than £100 on the 2k purchase price.

Others have stated differently,  but it's down to confidence firstly.  Your cbt on a 125 will be what let's you know how much confidence  you have. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

11 hours ago, Shepherd said:

You have to do what you are most confident with.  I started later than you at 50 - bought a jag, bought a bike, and just have to get the courage for a tattoo to complete my mid-life crisis 😳

I went the 125 route for a couple of years after doing my cbt, and used it daily on my short commute.  This gave me experience on the road in all weathers, and in all the different scenarios you encounter. Did my DAS as a 4 day course at the end of last summer with no problems (apart from a Southend to Ipswich journey for the test - bloody covid!).

I'll be selling the 125 soon, confident that I'll not loose more than £100 on the 2k purchase price.

Others have stated differently,  but it's down to confidence firstly.  Your cbt on a 125 will be what let's you know how much confidence  you have. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I booked my das as my 50th birthday present for myself , unfortunately that was last year and we all know what happened...anyway o

I got a tattoo for my 18th birthday and believe me it takes a lot less courage than riding a 600cc bike on the road 🤣

Edited by Spongefinger
  • Like 1

Ah but, I sort of have a fear of needles. Gimme the needle gun to do it myself, and I'd be fine. Tattoo would look shite, but I'd be ok. It's having someone else in control of it that I hate.

Took me 3 hours to pierce my ear with a needle as a kid, rather than go to the jewellers to have it done. My dentist knows not to use the probe too much on check ups, and treatment is done without numbing. Covid jab was done as soon as I sat down, without anything being said, as my missus had pre-warned the nurse. Gave me the spiel after it was done.

Just a big girls blouse, me!

• Haha 1