Makeshift satnav

Finally sorted phone charging problem on my bike. I got myself a Givi S957B phone holder and I managed to find 10Ah slim QI-capable battery bank. Everything zips up nicely and works.

Yes... I fully expect this combo to overheat if we get proper got summer - we'll see! For now it works perfect 😀

• Like 1

If  you can get a "dedicated" phone just for sat-nav then you can save up on memory usage and main drive space.

That will help with overheating.

I've been trying out different sat nav apps on my phone. This is what I've found so far

* Google maps. Good, except stops the navigation at the first waypoint and won't do any more until you press "Continue". Which is impossible in gloves of course - anyone know a way round this? Limited options for downloading maps in advance.

* Beeline (they do a free phone app). It comes with two settings: "arrow" which shows the standard beeline arrow display, and "map", which is, well, a map. It doesn't do voice commands. I tried it on "map" and it wasn't great; the map was hard to see, and so the lack of voice was a problem. 

* Navigator. The UI is bit a confusing, and as a result, I find putting in a route with waypoints tricky. Once it's running though, the map is very easy to see even in full sunlight (thanks to thick route line and good contrast). The voice commands are good, although sometimes a turn isn't called out (where it's unclear on the map which road has priority) and it doesn't do the "turn left, then immediately right" thing very well. Minor complaints. I liked the fanfare sound it plays when you go over the speed limit. Can download UK maps and safety camera info. 

* Navmii. Can download UK maps, but I haven't yet worked out how to enter a route. I'll try a bit more before giving up in frustration. 

I am looking for something that allows you download maps in advance, so Navigator Free is my favourite so far. Going to carry on trying out different offerings. 

25 minutes ago, bonio said:

I've been trying out different sat nav apps on my phone. This is what I've found so far

* Google maps. Good, except stops the navigation at the first waypoint and won't do any more until you press "Continue". Which is impossible in gloves of course - anyone know a way round this? Limited options for downloading maps in advance.

* Beeline (they do a free phone app). It comes with two settings: "arrow" which shows the standard beeline arrow display, and "map", which is, well, a map. It doesn't do voice commands. I tried it on "map" and it wasn't great; the map was hard to see, and so the lack of voice was a problem. 

* Navigator. The UI is bit a confusing, and as a result, I find putting in a route with waypoints tricky. Once it's running though, the map is very easy to see even in full sunlight (thanks to thick route line and good contrast). The voice commands are good, although sometimes a turn isn't called out (where it's unclear on the map which road has priority) and it doesn't do the "turn left, then immediately right" thing very well. Minor complaints. I liked the fanfare sound it plays when you go over the speed limit. Can download UK maps and safety camera info. 

* Navmii. Can download UK maps, but I haven't yet worked out how to enter a route. I'll try a bit more before giving up in frustration. 

I am looking for something that allows you download maps in advance, so Navigator Free is my favourite so far. Going to carry on trying out different offerings. 

Copilot is very good. 

39 minutes ago, bonio said:

You can purchase gloves with touch screen fingers, like the Rukka Forsair Gloves. I have tried several mobile phone apps and found a dedicated Nav unit best, often supported with phone app. 

11 minutes ago, Pie man said:

You can purchase gloves with touch screen fingers, like the Rukka Forsair Gloves.

I did. But the touch screen bits fell off a few years back!

@fullscreenaging It's on my phone but they want me to pay to have voice instructions and I'm too mean.

Edited by bonio
Can't spell

3 minutes ago, bonio said:

I did. But the touch screen bits fell of a few years back!

@fullscreenaging It's on my phone but they want me to pay to have voice instructions and I'm too mean.

Ahh. Ok. I know I paid for it back in 2015 but can’t remember how much. 
Ive not used it for ages as I have a TomTom Rider. 
I know it’s there if I ever need it though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bonio said:

If you have G-Maps on Android then you can try the Tracker/AutoInput hack that was put up by this person on Reddit. Some users on that has reported it works for them but unfortunately there is no iPhone equivalent just now (that I can find anyway online).

Link to the Auto-continue if you are interested 😀:

Link

Edited by JackieOWheels

Calimoto is a brilliant satnav app, yes it's mainly designed for the twisties but can be used as a regular A to B satnav, routes can be saved and planned and the free version has most of the features generally needed :thumb:

I strongly advice for a dedicated sat-nav.

I've heard of an excellent second hand one for sale not far from here... :thumb: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JackieOWheels said:

If you have G-Maps on Android then you can try the Tracker/AutoInput hack that was put up by this person on Reddit. Some users on that has reported it works for them but unfortunately there is no iPhone equivalent just now (that I can find anyway online).

Link to the Auto-continue if you are interested 😀:

Link

Awesome! AutoInput is new to me. Downloading it already 👍

On 30/03/2021 at 07:32, dynax said:

Calimoto is a brilliant satnav app, yes it's mainly designed for the twisties but can be used as a regular A to B satnav, routes can be saved and planned and the free version has most of the features generally needed :thumb:

+1. :thumb:

On 29/03/2021 at 20:53, bonio said:

The Beeline app is designed to work with the Beeline display rather than as a stand alone app.

I did this sometime ago:

I use Tomtom amigo EVERY time I go on bike and car as it’s Bluetooth detection bit if activated does it automatically a few warnings have been very useful...

1 hour ago, onesea said:

I did this sometime ago:

I use Tomtom amigo EVERY time I go on bike and car as it’s Bluetooth detection bit if activated does it automatically a few warnings have been very useful...

You're years ahead of me. (5 years, in fact :classic_laugh:)
Ta. Another one to have a go with. 
Looking for something with voice command that I can use with minimum faff. 

On 29/03/2021 at 20:53, bonio said:

I've been trying out different sat nav apps on my phone. 

I settled on Sygic (had it for ages) and Locus Maps. Both offline, both have good updates. Locus is more "adventurous", Sygic is for going from A to B.

And Google maps for errands.

• Like 1

No I do not have an addiction to navigation apps...

Have to admit I have just down loaded 3 to try out..

For a few years I have paid for TomTom I like having of line and easy transfer to my phone ..

Screenshot_20210331-200458~2.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I also use Calimoto but only for routes I've planned and loaded onto it. Otherwise their algorithm works out some "interesting" routes.

If I'm honest though, one of the best navigation solutions I used was written directions in a zip lock bag held on to the fuel tank with magnets!

3 hours ago, RAYK47 said:

i love the idea of the Beeline devices but audio directions are important. 

I have the app and have tried it but without audio I always end up off route...

Yup audio is a plus. Don't really want to be looking at the screen all the time.

Trying Sygic right now. I like the way you can plan a route on a laptop and then send it to your phone.

8 minutes ago, raesewell said:

Sygic is OK but it does have some strange routing choices, if your phone is your chosen unit then give the Tomtom App a go.

Glad I am not the only one who uses TomTom... using MyDrive you can plan routes on your computer.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#+viewport=54.4641,-3.23499,4.67,0,-0+ver=3

This works through app on phone or online site (which works better than app). It can also display scenic routes.

if I recall annual subscription is cheaper than Sygic.

• Like 1