Fazer will not engage clutch

jedibiker

31 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

No, but that adjustment part wont adjust. The screw is solid.  the cable is as it was with the right amount of slack, also tried it tight.

Is the locknut solid though? That has to be undone before the screw will move. If the cable is set up right then either maybe the clutch plates have warped and stuck or the clutch free play is out.

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Is the locknut solid though? That has to be undone before the screw will move. If the cable is set up right then either maybe the clutch plates have warped and stuck or the clutch free play is out.

the nut comes free, then the screw wont move at all. Im hoping they just need to warm up etc, if not il strip them out and clean etc

so thought i might as well just go look as advised. Maybe good I did.. now the bike did run fine so this didnt effect its running. but a couple of plates look like heat as got to them.. friction plates all within spec.

free length of springs is bigger than haynes suggests.. which is odd.

20210330_112855.jpg

20210330_114406.jpg

Anything not involving new plates would be a waste of time.

Even if not warped the friction area is contaminated and having been subject to heat they won't be working properly

8 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Have you checked those plates with a flat edge?

I stacked them and they all sit sweet. However, Im just waiting to see if I can go pick up some new plates. Most look great but first and last look bad so will replace those and the worn friction plates.

@husoi

Also may replace springs as spec says 34.9 and these are closer to 38, heavy duty maybe but possibly why they get hot

26 minutes ago, husoi said:

Do the job properly and you will only do it once. :thumb: 

agree. put it all back together for now, oiled it up out of curiosity, clutch still not working so will see how it is with new bits. (yes will soak plates over night :)  )

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Have the springs stretched? They don't last for ever.

They don't stretch , they compress .

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

so thought i might as well just go look as advised. Maybe good I did.. now the bike did run fine so this didnt effect its running. but a couple of plates look like heat as got to them.. friction plates all within spec.

free length of springs is bigger than haynes suggests.. which is odd.

20210330_112855.jpg

20210330_114406.jpg

Heavier duty springs . 

8 minutes ago, husoi said:

Wouldn't heavier duty springs make the clutch harder to operate?

Well yes , but there will be less slippage when you give it death . 

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

Well yes , but there will be less slippage when you give it death . 

True to a point, if the springs are too stiff then would you risk the rod to be worn or even bent?

• Like 1

Just now, husoi said:

True to a point, if the springs are too stiff then would you risk the rod to be worn or even bent?

Yeah I guess so, from what Ive seen some have had issue with strong springs. Thing is this did work fine, and probably would, but now Ive seen plates etc I've got to change them

8 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

apparently yes, and surely it will create the sticking issue more often,, seems daft

Heavy duty springs are no more likely to cause sticking than normal ones . I had heavy duty in the GSXR to compliment the racing clutch kit and  I've even got 15% stronger spring and an Energy One Extra Plate Clutch Kit in the Harley . Mind you , I do have a Muller Power Clutch actuator as well .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

my Mrs doesn't give it death, shes a very steady rider.. Id probably push it though :)

So when you put standard springs in it will be easier for her to operate . Unless you have ordered an EBC kit that has HD springs . 

2 minutes ago, fastbob said:

So when you put standard springs in it will be easier for her to operate . Unless you have ordered an EBC kit that has HD springs . 

Not ebc ones I dont think no. it does say heavy duty but 35.5mm where as the ones in are at 38mm max. but they compress easy.