Fazer will not engage clutch

jedibiker

On 04/04/2021 at 12:17, Stu said:

If the starter is not turning with it in gear and the clutch in and stand up then you have a switch stopping it somewhere 

All sorted, and I dont know for sure but its possible it was the cut out relay that the safety switches run through. It was bugging me you had a point so looked up the wiring diagram etc as the switches were working as normal.

Someone else said they had same issue and cleaned the contacts for the relay,, i did this as well as make sure all the plates were clean and its working.. will bet it was the relay.

New springs came and are also longer than spec and stiff so dont see the point putting them in.

thanks all for a long drawn out topic.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jedibiker said:

All sorted, and I dont know for sure but its possible it was the cut out relay that the safety switches run through. It was bugging me you had a point so looked up the wiring diagram etc as the switches were working as normal.

Someone else said they had same issue and cleaned the contacts for the relay,, i did this as well as make sure all the plates were clean and its working.. will bet it was the relay.

New springs came and are also longer than spec and stiff so dont see the point putting them in.

You just have to think logical about this sort of thing but glad its all sorted :thumb: 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Just on the topic of spring length as it’s been bugging me since you first mentioned it so I checked in some manuals at work. 

generally when spring lengths are given they’re a service limit, so the longest or shortest length depending on their use. 

In this case they get compressed by the pressure plate so the limit in your manual will be the shortest acceptable length, as yours are longer than stated they are still within spec. 

but it’s all sorted so happy days!

• Like 2

The free length of a spring which is permanently compressed when in use is neither here nor there as far as I can see . 

14 minutes ago, fastbob said:

The free length of a spring which is permanently compressed when in use is neither here nor there as far as I can see . 

I would presume right or wrong 😁 the free length will have some correlation to what it's doing when compressed if it's half the free length then when compressed it will offer less force, easier to measure than resistance being offered under pressure.

I can remember having trouble with a vvt actuator spring years ago and it was the free length spec that was given for that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keeper96 said:

Just on the topic of spring length as it’s been bugging me since you first mentioned it so I checked in some manuals at work. 

generally when spring lengths are given they’re a service limit, so the longest or shortest length depending on their use. 

In this case they get compressed by the pressure plate so the limit in your manual will be the shortest acceptable length, as yours are longer than stated they are still within spec. 

but it’s all sorted so happy days!

Id not thought of that, I thought it was saying spring free length, then a service limit. I guess by the fact 2 lots are longer they may be like that. its thrown a few off though.

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Your saying how well it does its job as a spring is more important? i do get that. if springs were at spec but one too soft then no good. good point