When buying a new helmet, would you buy the same helmet you had as before because you know it works or would you try something else?

Simply asking out of curiosity, and also considering a new lid... mine is getting a little old now. 

I currently have: Shark S900...

E1483931-83DD-4D16-B4A4-BB72073BCFFE.jpeg

Edited by Troy
Corrections.

I've owned two, when purchasing my second the assistant at Helmet City was fantastic at asking me what I currently had (for an idea of sizing) but also what I liked/disliked about my current helmet. 

In my case, I had zero faith in the integrity/strength of the part of the visor that connected to the helmet (Shark). Mine had started to snap just from general use and didn't want to purchase another visor and have the same issue.

My current Arai helmet I really like, but it does have a latching mechanism for the visor which I'm sure is great on the track, but can be a bit of a faff in general use as you have to pop the latch first then lift the visor. You can't just push the visor up.

So I'd happily do the same process next time. Chat to an assistant about what I currently have and have a look at what's available. Potentially ending up with the same design type.

I've got a weird shaped head which is basically broad and square. I find Schuberth helmets fit me really well but if I found something that fitted me better I'd certainly give it a go. I've never got an Arai to fit.

• Like 1

I started with Shark helmets (3 of them) as they fitted my budget and my head.  Once my finances allowed, I tried on alternatives, settling on Shoei. My last four have all been Shoei, including two Neotecs, but I wouldn’t rule out a change if I found something else that worked for me. 

I have changed brand each time. 
I’ve owned 

Shark

Arai

HJC

Shoei

AGV

I usually have them for the full 5-6 years until end of life and start looking about 4.5 years in for my next lid.
What was out when I buy a lid will have moved on a lot in those 4-5 years. 

I loved my Shoei Neotec although it was a touch on the heavy side. I looked at the Neotec 2 but when doing my research found it was heavier than the original and when I tried it on I just didn’t like the fit and feel. I like my flip ups nowadays (great in the summer for keeping cool at slower speeds) and it took ages for me find my current lid as I thought the Shoei was the best of the bunch. 
I now own an AGV Sportmodular Carbon and think it’s brilliant. 
Hopefully when the time comes for the next change helmet tech will have moved on again. 

2 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

..... the assistant at Helmet City was fantastic...

Dangerous place that, particularly Chichester... Looking for a new lid hard to leave without one.

I have had:

HJC

SHARK Carbon

Givi

HJC not the same model.

Sadly I could not buy the Givi again that was a nice helmet for me. The next model was just not comfortable for me.

However I have no ambition to buy a better brand helmet.  If it fits is comfortable has features required,  that will do me.

I would rather have a new helmet every few years than an expensive one every 5 or 6... 

Edited by onesea

Just for a laugh I can remember.......

Kangol

Agordo (Paddy Hopkirk)

Bell star 2

Porshe (Worth googling lol internal visor and probably illegal if I remember correct)

Early Shark (1986)

Arai (blue white and black replica of someone I have forgotten)

Craft (Carbon look alike Simpson clone)

Bandit (as above lol)

HJC RPHA 

HJC H70 Carbon (Current lid with Sena comms 20B)

Various cheap odds and sods especially when despatch riding in the early 80`s as well, list covers 1978 to now so I dare say some missing but not many.

I only miss the Porshe and the Bell probably just rose tinted glasses though.

Cheers

Ian

For me, fit is everything. Once I found a brand (rather than a specific helmet) that fitted me perfectly and ticked my own particular boxes. I’ve stuck with that brand. I don’t have either the time or patience to look elsewhere or try on multiple helmets either in a shop or buying ‘on spec’ online. Now, it’s easy. I need a new helmet, I just go online - see what’s available from my preferred brand and order it at the lowest price I can find.

I have tried on random helmets, usually when killing time at the dealership, but I’ve never been tempted to buy and that’s mainly due to the ‘fit’ feeling a bit off or the colourway being rather more than my simple tastes can stand. Plain white or nothing.

Edited by Gerontious

34 minutes ago, onesea said:

Dangerous place that, particularly Chichester... Looking for a new lid hard to leave without one.

She was my favourite type of salesperson. Obviously there to sell you something, making no bones about it, but ask you a few questions, gives you a fair few options, when it seems like you have a short list says "have a wear for a bit and I'll leave you to it" and she did just that, not 'returning to check on me' etc, waiting until I approached her again.

Night and day versus the Dreams bed salesperson type....

I have tried a couple of helmets over the years 

Osbe, HJC, AGV and Arai 

Shark and shoei just don't feel right to me 

I have had Arai for the last 14 years or so now and can't complain 

44 minutes ago, skyrider said:

i like suomy helmets they are a good fit on me, i have had two of them including the one i have at the moment

I recall Years gone by you were either an Aria head or a Shoei head, so many different helmets on the market, never tried a Suomy although they are a premium brand.  

40 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I recall Years gone by you were either an Aria head or a Shoei head, so many different helmets on the market, never tried a Suomy although they are a premium brand.  

many years ago when i bought my first i was really impressed with it so even though i have tried a couple of other makes after that one i have now gone back to suomy 

Always the best option is to try on before buying, your head shape will change slightly over the years, also your hair or lack of can make subtle differences to the fitting, time of year can have some slight effects too :thumb:

I bought a Scorpion eco air 1400 carbon, fit was the best I've experienced and extremely light, quiet lid and the air function makes a great fit. At £249 it was good value, came with clear visor, tinted visor and the pinlock insert, also had a good sharp test rating. I have to say I love it, I sometimes have neck pain and with this lid being so light it's spot on. 

I've had FM, HJC, Scorpion EXO 1400 Carbon Air which was all for karting before I grew a pair and got on a bike. I wanted a second lid so went to a Helmet City and bought a HJC R-HPA 11 Bine, which was incorrectly sized by at least one but more like two sizes. It was still pushing the cheeks slightly but I was getting a lot of wind noise. Helmet City waas not interested in the slightest in trying to resolve the issue, so when I needed to replace my existing Scorpion I went to JS in Maidstone and they confirmed that the SCorpion I already had was correctly sized and I chose the same again.

I'll be looking for a second/spare lid at somepoint this summer and I'll be going back to JS and ot Helmet City. 

Fish

PS the HJC is sitting under the bench not being touched. 😡