When buying a new helmet, would you buy the same helmet you had as before because you know it works or would you try something else?

I used to chop and change helmets all the time,  always used to suffer with frontal head pain on long journeys, I was then recommended to try Shoei, which I did, and loved it.  Have stuck with Shoei ever since.  It would have to be something very special to drag me away from that brand now.

I find that the Caberg Duke works well for me. I'm on my third, which is now the Duke 2. They are not as expensive and some others I've tried and not found any better. I bought one recently from SBS who are significantly cheaper than other suppliers.

41 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I find that the Caberg Duke works well for me. I'm on my third, which is now the Duke 2. They are not as expensive and some others I've tried and not found any better. I bought one recently from SBS who are significantly cheaper than other suppliers.

Still have my Duke 2 the wife uses it, prefers it to the nice girly one I bought for her, typical lol.

Anyone want some serious technology in a lid 

https://www.crosshelmet.com/features/

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Anyone want some serious technology in a lid 

https://www.crosshelmet.com/features/

I would really enjoy something like this. For me, a HUD will be an instant sale. I’ll happily invest in one like in the video but I still personally think that sort of tech is out of reach because of the price it will need to be sold at.

I’m hoping when Apple release their eyewear, it will have some sort of HUD feature that can be used while on the road.

Edited by Troy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Troy said:

I really want something like this to exist! For me, a HUD will be an instant sale. I’ll happily invest in one like in the video but I still personally think that sort of tech is out of reach because of the price it will need to be sold at.

I’m hoping when Apple release their eyewear, it will have some sort of HUD feature that can be used while on the road.

It is for sale in Japan and the USA.

Nuviz had a working hud but I believe they went to the wall skully came, went, came back again then went never to return.

I like the idea of a hud for info, not sure on rear view mirror bit but would give one a try 😁 

1 minute ago, Bender said:

It is for sale in Japan and the USA.

Nuviz had a working hud but I believe they went to the wall skully came, went, came back again then went never to return.

I like the idea of a hud for info, not sure on rear view mirror bit but would give one a try 😁 

In it’s current form, it does look a bit ugly... that’s probably personal taste though.

Just now, James in Brum said:

What is the name of the style of modular helmet that helmets with the face down and up?

Do you mean the flip-up helmets?

7 hours ago, James in Brum said:

Yes, but there are some of the flip ups that are safe/okay to use with the flip ups up as opposed to most which are not. There is a name for this and it has been mentioned here before. 

7 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Dual-homologation

As @fullscreenaging said, if unsure on a specific helmet look for the P/J on the inner label (J is open faced, P is closed face, having both means it's designed and tested for both uses)

9 hours ago, Bender said:

Caberg Duke 2 same.

It's a nice feature but you won't like riding with a sale on your head in open position.

I've not got one but I believe the key thing about the Shark is that in the open position the chin bar is 180 degrees back so is flush with the neck and thus has no sail effect.

• Like 1

I very much doubt that you could buy the same helmet twice running because it would have been superceded by the latest model . You could certainly buy the same brand if the characteristics suit the shape of your head though .