Changing chain and sprocket things

James in Brum

In the end I did not get the kit to service that front end. Will

get round to that when I have some time and money in the summer. 

I do however already have a chain and sprockets I bought last year when I was flush.

I have watched some YouTube video’s. I am however a wee bit nervous in case I end up taking my bike off the road to do the job and then it takes too long to put back together or there is a complication. 

thought I would post here for some advice before deciding when and whether to get on with it now. 

is it a difficult job, where can I go wrong? 

3 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

If I lay old chain next to new chain is that the way to measure? Or does it say it somewhere in a manual? 

That's what I did first, then put it on and thought this is too long so took out another link for it to end up short :lol:

So I had to get another chain, so yeah lay them side by side making sure that the rollers line up at one end :thumb:

Just now, James in Brum said:

I think so, I ordered for my bike. Will check when I get round to doing this. I am almost convinced to try this weekend.

Good man, if you are unsure just lay them out and take a picture and post here just to double check :thumb:

Another thing to remember is the locking washer for the front sprocket as it will only fit one way, so before you take it off, give a clean and mark the front with a marker or some paint or something, so you know which way it goes back :thumb:

• Like 2

Hi James first of all count the links as has been said then check the sprockets are the same size.

Assuming all is ok thus far cut the old chain using an angle grinder if possible as the kit you have whilst it says it is a splitter you will struggle I promise you.

If you are familiar with riveting you will be fine following the instructions for installation but I would suggest you have a large punch and a good old fashioned hammer available to make sure.

All this is redundant if you can borrow or hire a proper chain tool like a whale (purchase price nearly £100 but nothing better).

Cheers

Ian

If you don't mind a suggestion, I give threads a smear of copper grease every time I work on anything. So your adjuster nuts and threads won't get corrosion for example. It's usually sold as copper assembly compound.

It's handy where you have two different metals in contact which can lead to corrosion. Alloy wheels on steel hubs for example. Just a smear and things come apart easily and threads don't get rusty.

Stopped for the night. I was going to have to get the angle grinder out and I was avoiding that because of the lateness of the evening. (Not that I doubted your advice @Ian Frog)

in the morning I will use the grinder, see if I can mend the tool, grind the chain off take all the bits off, make sure I have the right bits and hope.

@fastbob is the offer to borrow your chain tool still open? If I need to can I borrow you too to offer moral support? I may retrieve all this independently yet in the morning.

My steps are usually remove the sprocket nut then cut the chain off then take the rest of the bits off you need to remove 

I don't bother with a chain breaker to remove it! its too much effort when its not needed and its too much of a risk to break the pin too 

• Like 1