Changing chain and sprocket things

James in Brum

It's sometimes handy to have some thin garden wire and tie up bits that come off together. I'm a bit OCD about laying bits out in the order they came off. Comes from restoring old cars where you might be re-assembling a long time afterwards.

• Like 1

Good idea. 

my next pause is that my chain tool thing;

the plates to press the master link on; the holes in the plate that go rivet side do not line up with the rivet holes. 
surely this will prevent the plate from going on past the point that the rivet can then be rounded off/splayed? 

I have the offer of a better riveter if I need but I am wondering do I need? I could make the holes in the plate a bit bigger, I could use a different part of the tool to push in the middle of the link. Do you have any advice?

The splay looks ok but can always be touched up with a flat head punch (various sizes are available as a set for not too much which you should have sneaked in whilst at Halfrauds).

Don`t want to say I told you so but I told you that chain tool was a touch Michael Rodent (the whale or equivalent is really the best just too bl**dy expensive).

What splitter are you using @fastbob?

Keeping parts from spindles on wire or my preferred zip tie should become habit James it saves so much head scratching.

Well done on photographing everything though.

Please go back to the pics of you removing the gearbox sprocket and if you didn`t clean and dry it thoroughly before you started you need to read up about chain lube especially as you commute in all weathers.

All in all well done and you must have saved a few quid by doing it yourself.

Cheers

Ian

DON'T CHECK TENSION ON A CENTRE STAND ...( Unless workshop/owners manual specify this ) As Suspension is unloaded ... And when you put bike on its wheels the tension changes and can be too tight ..

Check it on sidestand or have someone holding bike upright 

22 minutes ago, TimR said:

DON'T CHECK TENSION ON A CENTRE STAND ...( Unless workshop/owners manual specify this ) As Suspension is unloaded ... And when you put bike on its wheels the tension changes and can be too tight ..

Check it on sidestand or have someone holding bike upright 

Will do that in the morning. I need to go and run through in my head everything I did and undid and make sure I am happy. I then need to go and buy some chain lube. I had run out. 

going to post something once I am sure it is done about what I have learned :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

Will do that in the morning. I need to go and run through in my head everything I did and undid and make sure I am happy. I then need to go and buy some chain lube. I had run out. 

going to post something once I am sure it is done about what I have learned :-)

I think you might want to check that the side plate is parallel to the rest of the chain . Maybe it's the photo but the left hand rivet appears to protrude a little more than the right hand one . 

Screenshot_20210417-191535.png

I looked with my measuring device thing that part of me wants to call a micrometer and part wants to call callipers and part thinks if I said either I would be wrong. 
the plate is the same on both ends. I think one rivet is collapsed/splayed more than the other. 
took bike out, feels great and there was sound I was hoping changing the chain would eradicate and it may have. 
more reflection later when not parenting. 

• Like 1

I looked with my measuring device thing that part of me wants to call a micrometer and part wants to call callipers and part thinks if I said either I would be wrong. 
the plate is the same on both ends. I think one rivet is collapsed/splayed more than the other. 
took bike out, feels great and there was sound I was hoping changing the chain would eradicate and it may have. 

It's a Vernier Caliper . I wouldn't worry about it . As long as those rivets are marginally bigger than the hole they pass through , the job's a good un . 

5 hours ago, James in Brum said:

Is the sound a clanking metallic noise ? 

If so it may be because you're missing the rubber stop that stops the centre stand clattering against the exhaust 

That goes Inthe hole in the bracket arrowed 

B0E48DA3-479C-42E3-BA08-0535D2F67123.thumb.jpeg.f45c29c15759b639a8b17c0f3f6f69b6~2.jpeg

Screenshot_20210418-211347.png

Edited by TimR

28 minutes ago, TimR said:

Is the sound a clanking metallic noise ? 

If so it may be because you're missing the rubber stop that stops the centre stand clattering against the exhaust 

That goes Inthe hole in the bracket arrowed 

B0E48DA3-479C-42E3-BA08-0535D2F67123.thumb.jpeg.f45c29c15759b639a8b17c0f3f6f69b6~2.jpeg

Screenshot_20210418-211347.png

I've probably got one of those . 

If you have @fastbob I would appreciate it. If not I will buy one :-) 

thanks @TimR for highlighting it.

it was a clank but seems to have gone. 
I was put in mind of when riding a push bike and free wheeling and then going for it and taking the slack out of the chain system and it suddenly driving the wheels. One of the reasons for wanting to change the chain.

22 miles to work this morning. Brilliant!

I was put in mind of when riding a push bike and free wheeling and then going for it and taking the slack out of the chain system and it suddenly driving the wheels. One of the reasons for wanting to change the chain.

I'll dig it out . It's actually from under the tank on an ER5 but the part number cross references to the centre stand stop . No reason to believe it wouldn't also fit a ZZR . 

6 hours ago, fastbob said:

I'll dig it out . It's actually from under the tank on an ER5 but the part number cross references to the centre stand stop . No reason to believe it wouldn't also fit a ZZR . 

Yep , I've got one . Do you remember where I live ? 

11 hours ago, James in Brum said:

It might have been the chain slapping against the underside of the swingarm.

My CBF500 does it when the chain is at the mid point of adjustment. It's nominally 35mm with the range being 30-40mm. It is exactly on 35mm at the moment and I can just hear it beginning to tap against the guide on the bottom of the swingarm. Which means it's about time to start looking for a replacement. The sprockets have no signs of wear at all though so I might be cheeky and try to just do the chain. I think the one that is on it was a cheapy that has worn out rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It might have been the chain slapping against the underside of the swingarm.

My CBF500 does it when the chain is at the mid point of adjustment. It's nominally 35mm with the range being 30-40mm. It is exactly on 35mm at the moment and I can just hear it beginning to tap against the guide on the bottom of the swingarm. Which means it's about time to start looking for a replacement. The sprockets have no signs of wear at all though so I might be cheeky and try to just do the chain. I think the one that is on it was a cheapy that has worn out rather quickly.

That would make sense. Sound gone with new chain :-) 

On 17/04/2021 at 20:55, fastbob said:

I think you might want to check that the side plate is parallel to the rest of the chain . Maybe it's the photo but the left hand rivet appears to protrude a little more than the right hand one . 

Screenshot_20210417-191535.png

Its good to use a micrometer and test if this is same width as other links. doesnt look bad though.