To lub or not to lub...

husoi

Interesting view and some useful information about chains.

Second clip is about cleaning the chain.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy :thumb: 

Regina have developed the worlds first non maintenance chain. 
I’ve looked at the kit for my bike but it’s £271. 
I can get a DID kit for £85. £95 for gold chain (which I’m really not fussed about) 

At the minute, I really don’t think the extra price is worth it when you can pretty much get 25 to 30K from a ‘normal’ chain kit if looked after. 

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Fortnine did a video about chain lube as well, I seem to remember his conclusion was gear oil.

Cheers

Ian

What I've always used, but thats because I'm cheap :lol:

15 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

What I've always used, but thats because I'm cheap :lol:

When you buy a DID chain - this is what they recommend on the back of the box.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I'm not being overly traditionalist about this, but all real motorbikes have chains. Belts and shafts are just nasty two wheeled contraptions that masquerade as motorbikes. You can tell a real motorcyclist by the blackness of their fingernails.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm not being overly traditionalist about this, but all real motorbikes have chains. Belts and shafts are just nasty two wheeled contraptions that masquerade as motorbikes. You can tell a real motorcyclist by the blackness of their fingernails.

Haven't you got a chain to clean? Amazed you have time to post on a forum ;-)

ps does my timing chain count?

1 hour ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

I’m told they need adjusting, too. Soooo time consuming. I’d rather be riding. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

Nope. The chain is chopped in half and has been committed to my scrap bucket. New shiny one will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Once you've had a good shaft you will never look back :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 21/04/2021 at 09:31, husoi said:

Interesting view and some useful information about chains.

Second clip is about cleaning the chain.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy :thumb: 

Just watched that FortNine video on chain cleaners. The test on kerosene, or paraffin, seeping through the seals was a bit of a surprise. I use paraffin and my last chain did develop some stiff links quite quickly. It was a cheap chain to be fair.

ive used nothing but paraffin (for cleaning) since day one of ownership and the chain is still perfect. no rust. no stiff links all rollers 'roll'. If it is the case that paraffin may seep through the seals then that is more likely to be a problem with manufacture or a specific manufacturer. e.g. RK. who are as far as I can tell the only manufacturer that specifically states that Paraffin (kerosene) should not be used on their chains as it reacts with the particular material they use. It should be obvious however that using paraffin is very popular and it would be very common to see, therefore. complaints about grease dilution/leakage on virtually every thread about chain maintenance regardless of where its posted. it isn't.

here is a snip from the RK website.. (USA)

Contrast that with the instructions on the rear of a D.I.D. chain box.. which specifically recommends Kerosene as a cleaner.

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 17.30.32.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 17:24, Gerontious said:

ive used nothing but paraffin (for cleaning) since day one of ownership and the chain is still perfect. no rust. no stiff links all rollers 'roll'. If it is the case that paraffin may seep through the seals then that is more likely to be a problem with manufacture or a specific manufacturer. e.g. RK. who are as far as I can tell the only manufacturer that specifically states that Paraffin (kerosene) should not be used on their chains as it reacts with the particular material they use. It should be obvious however that using paraffin is very popular and it would be very common to see, therefore. complaints about grease dilution/leakage on virtually every thread about chain maintenance regardless of where its posted. it isn't.

here is a snip from the RK website.. (USA)

Contrast that with the instructions on the rear of a D.I.D. chain box.. which specifically recommends Kerosene as a cleaner.

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 17.30.32.png

I dont fancy riding before a good lube up.. which sounds odd lol but id pop it on center stand and pop in 1st. But since I got a compressor I used it to dry off the chain, not too close or high pressure. worked well with a cloth behind the chain.

21 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

I dont fancy riding before a good lube up.. which sounds odd lol but id pop it on center stand and pop in 1st. But since I got a compressor I used it to dry off the chain, not too close or high pressure. worked well with a cloth behind the chain.

You can use dry silicone instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedibiker said:

Working on a chain whilst the bike is running, in gear and on a centre stand is quite a hazardous way to do it. 

Why  has nobody come up with the idea of a roller to oil the chain, small bottle with a screw on top fill with oil of choice, then roll along the top and bottom of chain simples, # anyone who produces one royalties please for giving the idea :thumb:

35 minutes ago, dynax said:

Why  has nobody come up with the idea of a roller to oil the chain, small bottle with a screw on top fill with oil of choice, then roll along the top and bottom of chain simples, # anyone who produces one royalties please for giving the idea :thumb:

That is what a chain lub kit does

38 minutes ago, dynax said:

Im a bit too tight fisted to pay good money for something that might knock a minute off the time it takes to lube my chain... currently a 3 minute job and it only takes that long because as well as lubricating the chain Im also examining it as I go along - which to my mind is equally important.

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Working on a chain whilst the bike is running, in gear and on a centre stand is quite a hazardous way to do it. 

Back in the day when I was despatching in London we had a 9 fingered colleague who would agree with you lol.

You should have heard the squealing !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2