BANG down into first gear

Guest lukefiori

when im slowing to a halt from high speed, i hold the clutch in, step down, 4 3 2 and a loud HIT noise like the gear didnt change right when I go to first and I feel it kick back the gear pedal a bit..

if your traveling at speed then yes :?

you are letting the clutch out between changes arent you ?

you need to match the bike speed to the gear :)

a lot of bikes give a clunk when going into 1st :?

As stu m said " Match your bike speed to the gear "

Most bikes make a clunk when going into first mate'y. My old aprilia use to make a big bang lol. I wouldnt worry fella unless it starts getting louder.

I was told recently by those who should know to let the clutch out for each gear on a downshift wherever possible.

I think the clunk is an audible indication that you are in 1st.

Guest akey

OK quick tip for ya,

Next time you are out on the bike, accelerate away in first and note what speed you change from first the second. its usually quite a low speed, dont drop back down into first until below that speed (as a guide only not a rule!)

From what you describe is sounds like you are dropping into first a bit quick.

i can't remember the last time i changed into first whilst moving!, stop in 2nd, neutral, then into first to move off.

have you got a car? try getting that into 1st whilst moving, they don't like it either :lol:

balls that up at speed and you'll lock up the rear wheel then probably visit casualty--why are you piddling about with 1st n 2nd they are for starting away and weaving thru traffic

No Jab it was to Luke--he is dropping down the gears too fast at too high a speed by the sounds of it and not as you described which is the best way when slowing and that is what all the noise is about--no need to actually engage 1st until starting off from stationary

i can't remember the last time i changed into first whilst moving!, stop in 2nd, neutral, then into first to move off.

have you got a car? try getting that into 1st whilst moving, they don't like it either :lol:

:stupid:

I think that extra clunk is the selector going through neutral and then in to first. You're going through 2 gear positions in one go.

If you have to bang it down in to first from neutral, try rolling your bike backwards a few inches, this can take pressure off selectors and forks in the box and they can move easier. (I have this problem sometimes)