Good evening all,

First of all thanks for the welcome into my first steps of biking and hopefully not being too rude in asking an immediate question! (ADMIN, should I add this to training section?)

Looking for a DAS course over either 5 or 7 days to obtain my full motorcycle licence, finding it difficult at the moment.  My background is as follows;

50yo (ok, been told midlife crisis already).

NO motorbike experience.

33yrs full car licence holder.

Institute of Advanced Motorists member.  Already purchased Motorcycle Roadcraft book to go alongside my well worn Roadcraft car copy.

Sat and passed DVSA motorcycle theory test this week.

Live in Glasgow area but willing to travel for the training and take time off work.

Plan to purchase a bike around 850cc once qualified. 

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

• Like 2

You'll be fine, although if you try and execute some principles of Roadcraft on your test the examiner may actually give you some faults! The DVSA like a simple middle of the road position for your test.

I'm guessing you don't have a training school booked yet? They're likely to be busy at the mo so get enquiring. But the type of course you're looking for is more than suitable.

I'm not sure if any active members here are out your way for recommendations, if not the dreaded Facebook usually has some local groups

• Like 2

One thing I will say is that as you are an experienced driver you’ll notice that until you get the muscle memory and coordination on the bike your hazard perception may decrease a bit as your concentration will be back to yourself and the bike. 

I did my DAS back in 2006 at the age of 36. I was a driving instructor at the time and for a short time I noticed I was missing things while riding around town and not reading the road as well as in a car. 
I eventually worked out what was going on. All my attention was directed towards controlling the bike. 
As I settled into it I could feel my concentration and awareness get further out and eventually be the same as being in the car. 

I don’t know if that makes sense at the minute but maybe something to be aware of. 

NO motorcycle experience, and looking to buy a bike "around 850cc".

There's no reason why you can't do that of course, it just sounds very specific.  I suggest you keep a much more open mind until you get what different bikes feel like - there are many more things than the capacity of the engine that can make you love (or hate) a bike.

Anyway, good luck with the training.  I hope you enjoy it and get a bike you love.

Welcome @SC7OTT.

I live in the Glasgow area so know the main test centre is in Shieldhall. Have you contacted any Bike schools in the area to see if they have any availability? My mate is in the same boat as you where he has decided to pick up motorcycling but is on the waiting list as everyone is trying to get their license just now so the backlog is quite long.

Like others have said, getting a 850cc for your first big is not advisable especially if you've never ridden a motorcycle before but it's your choice. 🤣

I hope you're not in a rush! .. Bike schools near me a fully booked up because of lockdown and so is the test centre. 

Lockdown has caused a huge logjam of people trying to get their bike licence.

You could make a start by getting your CBT done.

Edited by KiwiBob

5 hours ago, JackieOWheels said:

Like others have said, getting a 850cc for your first big is not advisable especially if you've never ridden a motorcycle before but it's your choice. 🤣

This is a difficult one my first bike Yamaha FZ6 was a hooligan machine compared with my present TDM900 which is a bit more sedate.  

Another route to getting on road could be do your CBT (which is a requirement anyway) get 125cc cover afew miles whilst doing lesson. Someone will jump in giving negatives of this route shortly, I am glad I did it this way.  A well chosen second hand 125cc bike will not loose significant value, in this time some even make money on them.

Your DAS still consists of Mod1 and Mod 2 you cannot sit Mod2 until you have passed your Mod 1, this can be the downfall of doing intensive course.

As others have said at the moment schools and exams are all stuffed up post covid.  

Just now, onesea said:

This is a difficult one my first bike Yamaha FZ6 was a hooligan machine compared with my present TDM900 which is a bit more sedate.  

Another route to getting on road could be do your CBT (which is a requirement anyway) get 125cc cover afew miles whilst doing lesson. Someone will jump in giving negatives of this route shortly, I am glad I did it this way.  A well chosen second hand 125cc bike will not loose significant value, in this time some even make money on them.

Your DAS still consists of Mod1 and Mod 2 you cannot sit Mod2 until you have passed your Mod 1, this can be the downfall of doing intensive course.

As others have said at the moment schools and exams are all stuffed up post covid.  

I’m glad I did it this way too. I understand that others think it’s better like this and other others think straight to DAS is best. 
mum 18months on a 125 helped with insurance on my 600 and my experience.

21 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

I’m glad I did it this way too. I understand that others think it’s better like this and other others think straight to DAS is best. 
mum 18months on a 125 helped with insurance on my 600 and my experience.

Ditto! I did the exact same. Built up NCD helped with insurance on my current bike.

I was 50 when I booked my das last year. If you do the intensive course it puts a huge amount of pressure on you to learn quick and pass tests first time as if you fail mod 1 you cannot take mod 2. On the first day of my das I realized just how stressed I was thinking about how quick the tests were coming up and worrying if I was going to be good enough in time. As luck would have due to covid and a couple of other issues I ended up getting lessons when I could and when I felt ready I did mod 1 ( passed a couple of weeks ago)I've got my mod 2 in June. For me personally this was a much better way to do it I enjoyed my lessons rather than feeling stressed every time I made a mistake and I felt so much more confident doing my mod 1.

Whatever you choose I hope you manage to get it sorted soon 👊

Edited by Spongefinger
Spellings
  • Like 1

I bought a 125 Yamaha just after doing my CBT I got some miles under my belt for a few months then went DAS.

It was the best thing for me as I dont think I could have passed my DAS without the experience on the little bike.

I sold it and got all my money back so well pleased. John.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fifthwheel said:

I bought a 125 Yamaha just after doing my CBT I got some miles under my belt for a few months then went DAS.

It was the best thing for me as I dont think I could have passed my DAS without the experience on the little bike.

I sold it and got all my money back so well pleased. John.

Snap 😁 

I did the DAS intensive thing: one week from CBT to passing Mod2 - or my case, to failing Mod1 and game over. Eventually got through Mod 1 and Mod 2 a month later on.

If I were doing it again, I'd do DAS but on a more relaxed schedule, over a month or so.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 03/05/2021 at 16:24, bonio said:

I did the DAS intensive thing: one week from CBT to passing Mod2 - or my case, to failing Mod1 and game over. Eventually got through Mod 1 and Mod 2 a month later on.

If I were doing it again, I'd do DAS but on a more relaxed schedule, over a month or so.

I agree with this. If you are new to motorcycling no need to rush it all (unless you need to of course). A lot of schools will try to fit and book everything all at once (even try to do your Mod 1 and 2 on the same day sometimes). So if you fail Mod 1 you lose your Mod 2 slot (and money). Some people would be fine doing it this way, but some take longer to learn, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Midlife crisis 55yo here, just passed a week ago after a 5 day DAS spaced over 3 months. Passed mod 1 first time, mod 2 second time.

But I don't think I could have hacked it if I hadn't spent a year doing 4000 miles on L plates on a 125 of my own. Bike control was in muscle memory/instinctive by then so I could hop on the 650 and feel right at home.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AndyOnSV said:

Midlife crisis 55yo here, just passed a week ago after a 5 day DAS spaced over 3 months. Passed mod 1 first time, mod 2 second time.

But I don't think I could have hacked it if I hadn't spent a year doing 4000 miles on L plates on a 125 of my own. Bike control was in muscle memory/instinctive by then so I could hop on the 650 and feel right at home.

Well done, what you buying then 😁 

Had a new SV650 waiting for me at the dealer when I took my first mod 2 😭

On it every spare moment now, trained on school SVs and fell in love with the throbby engine sound and the traditional look (round headlight)

• Like 2

Get a CBT get a 125 - a cheep one. Do some miles. Practice slow manuvers on with a bike that doesn't matter.  Its not Mod2 that screws everyone up; its Mod1.  One foot down and you're toast. There is a clutch/ throttle/ brake dynamic that takes a while to learn.  I did 2000mile on a 125 before I did my test.  After the 125 the main difference is weight.

The other thing that served me well is NOT buying an 850.  It depends on the power that 850 can make of course but its a 150MPH bike, you have to ask yourself why.  I bought an A2 bike that was still capable of 100MPH. and it taught me bundles before I had to "manage" a VFR.