Learning to ride

Hi, I'd like to learn to ride and have booked the CBT. Do people normally buy a 125cc bike for a short time while learning then buy a bigger bike after getting a full licence? From what I've read a 125cc is not very good at 60mph? (I'd like to use it to get places once I've learned to ride and not get in everyone's way because I'm stuck at 50mph haha)

Does anyone have any advice? 

Hi and welcome to the forum 

If you're looking at doing full test then personally I wouldn't bother with a 125 

You may well just be wasting time and money 

My answer is it depends where you live, what bike experience you have and where you want to travel.

I did CBT and bought 125cc whilst doing MOD1 & MOD2.  Very glad of my time on a 125cc, I learned allot. 

Then I live in an area with plenty of roads where 50-60mph is fast enough.

When I sold my 125cc 3500 miles 5 months later it cost me £100 pounds in depreciation.

I also had more of an understanding of what I wanted in my next bike.

If your planning on doing a week's intensive course that's a different story. I preferred the slower take it easy approach.

Edited by onesea
To add do your CBT then see how you feel..

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it seems silly to buy a bike just to learn on for a few weeks, my worry was I've never even sat on a bike before, it would be nice to be able to spend some time in a car park getting used to it before going for the full course and test. I guess the direct access course has enough time for you to get used to riding though? That is probably the best option

I replied before I saw your reply onesea, maybe I'd need more than a few weeks to learn then.... haha 

As long as I got one that did 60 comfortably that would be enough for where I want to go

The first thing to check is availability of DAS courses and tests in your area .. With the covid backlog you may have a long wait!

If you want to get riding quickly do your CBT and buy a Japanese 125.

• Like 1

This topic splits everyone. Some say just crack on with DAs, some say some time on a 125 is helpful.

I am glad I had 18months on a 125, I really felt ready when I was on the bigger bike doing my DAS after 18months of using my 125 in all situations and weathers. 
I’ve seen comments on here about people who seem to have just three days training including CBT and that is them sorted. 

My personal opinion is that you are way too vulnerable on a 125cc and possibly anything smaller than 600cc. 

Bigger CC engines seem to scare people that are not familiar with bikes.

A bigger CC bike is not any more scary than a 125 after some training. The bigger bikes can be ridden sedately and sensibly but have the power to weight ratio to get you out of trouble in an instant should the situation arise. You have better acceleration on a bigger bike to get you away from traffic behind you at the lights. A bigger bike feels more planted and secure than a small bike. 

For me there are far more pro’s owning a bigger bike. 
Ive never owned anything less than a 500cc and that only lasted two weeks until I was bored of the lack of power and moved up to a 600cc. 

Everyone is different though and at the end of the day it’s up to you. 
I understand you asking for advice. 
One thing I will say is; once you’ve started there is no going back. You won’t regret it!

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellen said:

As long as I got one that did 60 comfortably that would be enough for where I want to go

60 is a variable, up hill you can get slowed. Dual carriageways and A roads are ok for short distances.   I would not be doing the full length of the A34.

However I soon learned alternatives that I still use as they are more fun..

I rode my 125 from Essex to Birmingham and had a fab morning :-) 

I totally accept all that had been said. I don’t think any of us are ‘right’, there are a few ways you can do it. One might suit you more than another. If you only plan to ride a 125 for a couple of months though insurance change costs and risk of taking a little bit on the value might make that much more expensive. 
I much prefer riding my 600, I thoroughly enjoyed my 125 and never felt extra unsafe. 
it would do 70 down hill with a following wind and 55 up hill.

If you buy a 125, I'd buy secondhand a Japanese bike, preferably a Yamaha like a YBR or a Honda. That way, you will get the best reliability you can buy, and you will sell it on for much the same amount as you pay for it. Other countries' bike might not work out so easily for you. With a Chinese bike (sorry lads, I said it) you've greatly reduced your chances of coming out of it emotionally and financially unscathed.

• Like 2

Before a CBT, most training companies do a taster session. Roughly an hour on either a moped or a geared bike, which gives a good idea how riding is.

The CBT will get you on the real road to learning to ride. All weather conditions, all traffic conditions. Most modern 125's will reach 70+, but they don't have the grunt to get out of some sticky situations you might (and most likely will) get yourself into.

I've had my 125 sine June and wouldn't fault it. I'm due to do my DAS in June, but I will not be looking at anything much bigger than a 700 for the first however long. It's mostly for commuting but on a nice sunny day it's hard to beat the feeling.

Fish

Hello and welcome to the world of biking, as others have said there are pro's and cons for either option.

There is however the backlog depending on where you live, some areas have much longer waiting times than others, which may influence your decision regarding how soon you want to get on two wheels.

Depending on your location and which route you decide to take CBT and 125 or going DAS, I have a nice little gem of a Honda CG125 for sale ( shameless plug but I have no morals ) I could possibly do a deal on :thumb:

Edited by dynax

2 hours ago, dynax said:

Hello and welcome to the world of biking, as others have said there are pro's and cons for either option.

There is however the backlog depending on where you live, some areas have much longer waiting times than others, which may influence your decision regarding how soon you want to get on two wheels.

Depending on your location and which route you decide to take CBT and 125 or going DAS, I have a nice little gem of a Honda CG125 for sale ( shameless plug but I have no morals ) I could possibly do a deal on :thumb:

Wait till @Six30 picks up on your lack of morals comment lol.

All joking aside your advice to the young lady is correct and I hope she finds the route that suits her best.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Wait till @Six30 picks up on your lack of morals comment lol.

All joking aside your advice to the young lady is correct and I hope she finds the route that suits her best.

Cheers

Ian

he must have some morals or he would of tried to sell the young lady his Chinese bike.

• Haha 4

If you can get a decent , no frills Japanese bike like a CG 125 that looks a bit tatty , you could probably " Polish some money into it " to coin a phrase . In other words , if it looks a bit nicer than when you bought it , you might even make a few quid plus you might even learn a bit about mechanical maintenance . 

Screenshot_20210502-214840.png

• Like 1

Having looked at the DAS courses still available this year, it would be cheaper to buy two bikes and literally throw one away hahaha

So I think that is that decision made, and maybe I'll find some creative routes with no hills at 60 

Is it best to buy from a dealership or online (or dynax's Honda ;) ) ? The dealership ones seem more expensive but I'm concerned I wouldn't know what to check for buying privately and it might fall apart after a few weeks

I bought my first bike from a dealer knowing I was paying a bit more but was in a similar boat to you. In fact worked well for my wife who ended up with Trigger's Broom on her bike when the same dealer ended up changing the gearbox, whole wiring loom and more. But I have bought privately since as I got more confidence in the basics (but still wouldn't necessarily be as expert as some here in checking a bike over). Still also used a dealer though.

Whatever you do, these vids will help

https://youtu.be/HZbt9Dg1uXQ

https://youtu.be/VKGZdsIkLog

13 minutes ago, Ellen said:

Having looked at the DAS courses still available this year, it would be cheaper to buy two bikes and literally throw one away hahaha

So I think that is that decision made, and maybe I'll find some creative routes with no hills at 60 

Is it best to buy from a dealership or online (or dynax's Honda ;) ) ? The dealership ones seem more expensive but I'm concerned I wouldn't know what to check for buying privately and it might fall apart after a few weeks

Hi Ellen, you are more than welcome to view her, she's not the prettiest but mechanically sound and everything works :thumb:

1 hour ago, dynax said:

Hi Ellen, you are more than welcome to view , im not the prettiest but mechanically sound and everything works mostly :thumb:

the bike is all good to .

:shock:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ellen said:

A CG will not fall apart . I've bought and rebuilt nine of them and sold them on and nobody's ever brought one back with a complaint . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fastbob said:

A CG will not fall apart . I've bought and rebuilt nine of them and sold them on and nobody's ever brought one back with a complaint . 

I'll add my vote for the CG too .. Mine's an ex riding school with 20,000 miles on the clock and had also been stored for several years. It has a few scratches but runs like a Swiss watch.

• Like 1