Clutch issue Honda CBF 600 N 2009 - engine cuts out engaging 1st gear

applicationcen

I would be very grateful for any tips or advice with a clutch issue.
2009 Honda CBF N
2,700 miles from new in 2009.
Been SORN'd for a couple of years and sat all last year.

Today - I've had a partial service with the oil and filter changed before an MOT. Also changed to petrol pump which had failed.

I pulled up at home after about 1 mile run from the MOT garage.

It is in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in.
As I pop first gear with the clutch still pulled in, the bike tugs forward & the engine cuts out.
Tried several times, no dice.

Come back to it after 5 minutes with engine off.
Then it engages gear properly under clutch release.

any thoughts?

Much obliged for any help offered.

Cheers

For what you're saying the clutch is sticking. Probably drying oil between the plates.

if you have a central stand, or a way to get the rear wheel off the ground, I would start it and let the engine warm up before trying to ride.

Alternatively, use a product called seafoam. it will help cleaning the engine and solve your problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, applicationcen said:

Out of interest is there a clutch fluid reservoir on the bike? Or is this simply a cable?

If there is a cable attached to the clutch lever then thats all it will be 

Before going too deep start with one thing at a time as matter can get confusing 

Try the side stand switch first if no joy lets move on to the next one :thumb: 

• Like 1

If the bike tugs forward when first is engaged you will assume @applicationcen have pulled up the side stand.

By engaging 1st gear (or any other for that matter) and the bike jumping forward would lead to think that the clutch is not realising properly.

Been sitting for a long period would mean the oil dried between the plates.

But this is just my opinion :P 

Hi

do you have the manual for it?

if not I wonder if you can get one digitally online. Failing that exploded parts diagrams can be helpful to make sense of things. 
mom your Facebook post did you describe it cut out whilst running?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, husoi said:

If the bike tugs forward when first is engaged you will assume @applicationcen have pulled up the side stand.

By engaging 1st gear (or any other for that matter) and the bike jumping forward would lead to think that the clutch is not realising properly.

Been sitting for a long period would mean the oil dried between the plates.

But this is just my opinion :P 

There is plenty of bikes out there when dropping in to 1st gear the bike will tug forward a little! 

There is also plenty of bikes out there where the side stand switch sticks and causes the bike to cut out when dropped in to gear especially after the bike has sat for a couple of years 

Lets start with the easiest and cheapest solution then work our way up ;-) 

• Like 1

Intermittent engine kill when putting it in gear from neutral.

Got my Honda CBF 600 back home. I've literally Come to a halt engine running. Moved to neutral, clutch held tight. Pop 1st gear - and clunk engine stops with a small pull forward, seeming to indicate its engaged gear while I have the clutch lever pulled in tight.

I've gone back out after 5 minutes and started it. Repeated engaging 1st and it was ok. 

Any ideas ?

This was how you described it earlier :-) 

• Like 1

Its always tugged like that.
It's definitely a cable  clutch.

I've moved the side stand up and down several times, and it is engaging every time and not cutting out.
I'm going with the side stand switch issue for the time being. I think it must have freed up after I put the stand down and let it rest. Perhaps just needed fully extending to release it.

The tank is a bit of a mess inside! A lot of corrosion. There looks like waxy deposits amongst the rust.
Any suggestions? Or is it something to ignore as a filter will stop rust getting in and doing harm?

04.thumb.jpg.519007187b117094b68171c337ae6ee3.jpg07.thumb.jpg.ebd8b84f915b4a820500497235a9e7e5.jpg

Edited by applicationcen

16 minutes ago, applicationcen said:

Any suggestions?

I would start a new thread for each issue so you can come back to each one if need be :thumb: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Intermittent engine kill when putting it in gear from neutral.

Got my Honda CBF 600 back home. I've literally Come to a halt engine running. Moved to neutral, clutch held tight. Pop 1st gear - and clunk engine stops with a small pull forward, seeming to indicate its engaged gear while I have the clutch lever pulled in tight.

I've gone back out after 5 minutes and started it. Repeated engaging 1st and it was ok. 

Any ideas ?

This was how you described it earlier :-) 

Yes - the stand was up. It was in neutral with clutch in, and cut out as soon as I popped the gear (clutch in, stand up).
What I think has happened since is that by rotating the switch a few times its cleared the problem.

I'll take it out for another run to see if it cuts out due to a heat related issue. As it looks now the stand switch might well be the answer.

Thank you to everyone:)
Much Obliged:)

Just now, applicationcen said:

Good idea! Not used forums for  10 years, I forget the etiquette. 

Don't worry you will soon get used to it

Then you will be abusing us all :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Don't worry you will soon get used to it

Then you will be abusing us all :lol: 

Don't give him clues for TOTY.... 😳

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just a thought, if the bike is 11 years old and only done low miles how old are the tyres? 

Not related to your query at all but just thought it worth asking.

Originals. 2,700 miles

Edited by applicationcen

Just to add some more precise definition to the cause of this issue:-

Experimenting with the kick stand, moving it back and forth the problem is with tension in the spring. ....And driver error:(

What I have unwittingly managed to do is catch the kick stand partially with my boot as I put my foot on the ground, and bring it away from the 'home-riding' position by maybe 15-20mm.
The spring has not pulled it back, but the switch has killed the engine. 
THAT'S the diagnosis.
Phew.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, applicationcen said:

Originals. 2,700 miles

With an older bike that's been laid up the mileage on the tyres isn't the main thing. It's the age of the tyres.

Look for the four digit week and year of manufacture. A 2009 bike could have tyres from 2008 or earlier. In which case they need changing before it goes back on the road.

I'd strip out each and every clutch plate , stick them in a bowl of oil and reassemble the clutch while they are still dripping . If you don't do this , you could risk burning the clutch or even stripping the friction material off the plates . As for the tank , that's just grim . A large , in-line fuel filter would be a no brainer . There is a possibility that that stuff might dissolve so if you can rinse the tank out with petrol a few times that might help . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2021 at 14:19, applicationcen said:

Yes - the stand was up. It was in neutral with clutch in, and cut out as soon as I popped the gear (clutch in, stand up).
What I think has happened since is that by rotating the switch a few times its cleared the problem.

I'll take it out for another run to see if it cuts out due to a heat related issue. As it looks now the stand switch might well be the answer.

Thank you to everyone:)
Much Obliged:)

Check if all your safety switches run through your starter relay or other relay. Ive seen this where all switches are working but the relay pins get dirty or corrode, more so after a long rest. a guy i know his stopped mid ride on a motorway and it was this.

Im sure the fazer i was fixing was this too after many attempts at clutch cleaning etc.

• Like 1