Short Guided Tours of the Peak District

Peaky Bikers

Hi I'm starting out with short 2 to 3 hour guided tours of the peak district. Either bespoke or set routes. I've lived and worked in the hills all my life and can show you some stunning backlanes, moorlands, valleys and villages away from the crowds. Might suit adventure riders or those wanting a steady ride to take in the scenery.  I'm wanting to trial some routes before launching out so if anyone wants a free guided ride out and give feedback give me a message. 

UPDATE - Thanks for the pms and offers to trial routes, I have enough volunteers now, much appreciated, looking forward to the feedback and meeting folks.  I'll be starting tours in early mid June, website is under construction but send a pm on here if of interest.  Thanks

Edited by Peaky Bikers

Nice idea. 

I'll be honest, the Peaks has always left me mystified. People say how great it is, but all I've found are traffic and towns and then sweet patch for 3 minutes and another 30 sign *sigh*. So I'd be signing up for this straightaway if it I lived nearer.

All the best 

14 hours ago, bonio said:

Nice idea. 

I'll be honest, the Peaks has always left me mystified. People say how great it is, but all I've found are traffic and towns and then sweet patch for 3 minutes and another 30 sign *sigh*. So I'd be signing up for this straightaway if it I lived nearer.

All the best 

Thanks for the reply.  I agree hundreds of bikers stick to the well worn routes of Matlock through to Buxton or Castleton.  Ive got the local knowledge of the area and there are so many back lanes and less travelled roads to explore.  I went miles the other day on one of my routes without seeing another bike.  I can tailor the ride to take in historic little villages, beauty spots , historic sites , scenic outlooks etc with a bit of commentary and insight.  Give me a shout if you're up this way.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Six30 said:

i love the peak district , went there last year and will be going again this year

Its a beautiful place no doubt and such a large area.  Happy to guide if there is a particular place of interest or you just wanted a tour of the lesser traveled areas

16 minutes ago, Peaky Bikers said:

I went miles the other day on one of my routes without seeing another bike

What about cars and other traffic? 

Thats what I'm most interested in 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

What about cars and other traffic? 

Thats what I'm most interested in 

Mostly very low level country traffic , so landrovers , tractors and low level car traffic (always certain amount of cyclists but nothing like the busy areas

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peaky Bikers said:

Its a beautiful place no doubt and such a large area.  Happy to guide if there is a particular place of interest or you just wanted a tour of the lesser traveled areas

i'll let you know when im going .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

why would i pay anyone so guide me round when i have a sat-nav and access to a computer .. 

Well don’t then ... simples ..... 🤔

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 16:36, Peaky Bikers said:

Hi I'm starting out with short 2 to 3 hour guided tours of the peak district. Either bespoke or set routes. I've lived and worked in the hills all my life and can show you some stunning backlanes, moorlands, valleys and villages away from the crowds. Might suit adventure riders or those wanting a steady ride to take in the scenery.  I'm wanting to trial some routes before launching out so if anyone wants a free guided ride out and give feedback give me a message. 

I’d be very happy to be one of your test victims, i know the Peaks well and lots of the back lanes and by ways so i could probably give a balanced opinion of your routes ... based in Rotherham so drop me a pm if you fancy a meet up and ride ...

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I’d be very happy to be one of your test victims, i know the Peaks well and lots of the back lanes and by ways so i could probably give a balanced opinion of your routes ... based in Rotherham so drop me a pm if you fancy a meet up and ride ...

Cheers Trooper, pm sent

I love the Peak District but I've got my own ideas about where the good bits are . My favourite is the b5056 from Ashbourne to Bakewell . The thing is though , I've got to get there first and the bast*rds have put Average Speed Cameras all along my established route . Now I have to go via Abbots Bromley and Uttoxeter . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I love the Peak District but I've got my own ideas about where the good bits are . My favourite is the b5056 from Ashbourne to Bakewell . The thing is though , I've got to get there first and the bast*rds have put Average Speed Cameras all along my established route . Now I have to go via Abbots Bromley and Uttoxeter . 

Not sure which emoticon to use for that.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 16:36, Peaky Bikers said:

Used to go rock hugging at the Roaches as a kid, the roads seemed good but full of traffic, spent many night at the Rock Inn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickly said:

Used to go rock hugging at the Roaches as a kid, the roads seemed good but full of traffic, spent many night at the Rock Inn.

By the Roaches? They did a nice mixed grill in there a few years ago and the Staffordshire oat cakes in the cafe round the corner was lovely too. 
Did you climb their? At the Roaches?

8 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

By the Roaches? They did a nice mixed grill in there a few years ago and the Staffordshire oat cakes in the cafe round the corner was lovely too. 
Did you climb their? At the Roaches?

Yep, used to climb there in the late 70’s

Many a happy weekend spent climbing, camping & drinking.

Managed the ‘Sloth’ but only top roped 

Good luck with your venture, I have only been into the Peaks once and that was to Ladybower and the Hope Valley.

I do plan on going again and exploring much more of it, but the fun for me is finding out for myself what roads go where and getting lost is half the fun :lol:

On 15/05/2021 at 21:30, Mickly said:

Hi Mickly , yep that's a great area to ride, once you get off the main A53 there is an absolute maze of roads through moorland and valleys and little villages. Plenty of quiet stuff to go at.  The Rock Inn (or Ye Olde Rock Inn as they call it now) is a great pub fantastic beer and food.

On 16/05/2021 at 08:21, dynax said:

Good luck with your venture, I have only been into the Peaks once and that was to Ladybower and the Hope Valley.

I do plan on going again and exploring much more of it, but the fun for me is finding out for myself what roads go where and getting lost is half the fun :lol:

Hi Dynax, I agree exploring is fun.  I'm aiming to try and show folk roads and lanes that they might be unlikely to find themselves and also give a commentary on the area regarding the history and wildlife from my years working all over the peaks as a conservationist , so hopefully some people might find that of interest and once they have a rough idea of the area might come back and explore further. As I go on I want to build a website showing recommended accommodation, camp sites, pubs cafe's etc.   Ladybower area is great to ride, very scenic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...