New phone 😁

Bender

Well it's only taken me 6 month to pick a non Chinese phone 😁, in reality it's just the Sony that I looked at when it came out, I refused to pay over 800 quid or 50 for a contract.

Β 

The ee shop still wanted silly money for it on contract, but the new model is out soon so online it's dropped massively, 5g so I should grow another arm and I expect gchq to be monitoring my every move whilst I kill all the local wildlife.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

Well it's only taken me 6 month to pick a non Chinese phone 😁, in reality it's just the Sony that I looked at when it came out, I refused to pay over 800 quid or 50 for a contract.

Β 

The ee shop still wanted silly money for it on contract, but the new model is out soon so online it's dropped massively, 5g so I should grow another arm and I expect gchq to be monitoring my every move whilst I kill all the local wildlife.

my galaxy has started to send people texts on its own, if it keeps doing it i will run it back to where i bought it and tell em to sort it cant be having this 😬

Yeah I have just upgraded my phone and refused to pay more than Β£40 a month!Β 

Β 

I was looking at the pixel 5 but it was smaller than the phone I had and didn't want to go any smaller!Β 

Β 

I ended up getting the Samsung s20 FE 5gΒ 

Β 

Its not bad but the battery life on my Huawei was better!Β 

40 quidΒ πŸ€”i begrudgingly paid 26, which was way better than the ee offer in shop of only 42 with nothing to pay for the phone and that only got me 10gig of data.

Β 

I would have stuck with what I have but 3yrs has taken its toll on battery.

I paid less than Β£40 though :lol:Β 

Β 

I just had to get away from the Huawei!Β 

Β 

As I smashed the camera and cracked the screen :lol:Β 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I paid less than Β£40 though :lol:Β 

Β 

I just had to get away from the Huawei!Β 

Β 

As I smashed the camera and cracked the screen :lol:Β 

I have cheap flip covers on mine, bit bulky but keep phone well protected, not a mark on me current one and never had screensaver, have ordered cheap flip cover for new phone, great expense 7.99, probably ironically from China πŸ˜‚Β 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bender said:

I have cheap flip covers on mine, bit bulky but keep phone well protected, not a mark on me current one and never had screensaver, have ordered cheap flip cover for new phone, great expense 7.99, probably ironically from China πŸ˜‚Β 

Β 

I usually have a silicone cover on all mine and screen protectors

Β 

The old phone was perfect until I decided not to upgrade and keep it for minimum of 6 months on sim only!Β 

Β 

It lasted 4 months after dropping the phone 5 times :roll:Β 

• Like 1

There is a good 5mm perimeter overhang on on my case, I've inadvertently dropped it, thrown it and kicked it, biggest danger is lifting boilers, killed an erricson doing that, always relocate to rear pocket when doing that now, took out an old boiler on Sat 48kg destroys screens when you rest it on your leg with phone in-between.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bender said:

There is a good 5mm perimeter overhang on on my case, I've inadvertently dropped it, thrown it and kicked it, biggest danger is lifting boilers, killed an erricson doing that, always relocate to rear pocket when doing that now, took out an old boiler on Sat 48kg destroys screens when you rest it on your leg with phone in-between.

Β 

I was laying a drive for a mate and moved my phone from my rear pocket to a safer pocket!Β 

Β 

Safer pocket decided it didn't like my phone and spat it out and it stuck top end first in the concrete :lol:Β 

Β 

Still worked for a yearΒ with no issues :DΒ 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Β 

I was laying a drive for a mate and moved my phone from my rear pocket to a safer pocket!Β 

Β 

Safer pocket decided it didn't like my phone and spat it out and it stuck top end first in the concrete :lol:Β 

Β 

Still worked for a yearΒ with no issues :DΒ 

Solid phone 😁 

• Haha 1

I've not had a contract phone for years, I just buy my own now, (nearly always Motorola, currently on a Moto G9 that cost Β£160) and pay BT Β£7 a month.

Β 

So over 2 years it cost me Β£13.67 per month.

Β 

No brainer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyclingwilly said:

I've not had a contract phone for years, I just buy my own now, (nearly always Motorola, currently on a Moto G9 that cost Β£160) and pay BT Β£7 a month.

Β 

So over 2 years it cost me Β£13.67 per month.

Β 

No brainer.

I've done that for the last 2yrs but the contract for 5g data on a sim only was only only Β£6 cheaper than the phone so I get the Β£700 phone for less than Β£150.

Β 

Also Motorola is Chinese so that would be a no from me 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I've done that for the last 2yrs but the contract for 5g data on a sim only was only only Β£6 cheaper than the phone so I get the Β£700 phone for less than Β£150.

Β 

I tried that it 6 months phone ended up hidden in the mud 3m down underwater.

Β 

Present phone ULE phone. less than 2 months old has paint on been swimming twice and covered in good knows what.

Does all I need it to do cost Β£150 direct from China.

Β 

Last phone was Cubot, lasted 2 years countless drops speakings and good knows what abuse, the battery life started going. Historically I bought to phones with insurance now it's cheaper to buy replacements.

Β 

If I don't destruct them first replacement phone every 2 years costs about Β£16 a month including contract.

Β 

Β 

I bought my first ever smart phone last June.. bottom of the current range. Kept it for 6 months and paid off the 0% loan. Over Xmas, what with overtime and the bonus for Xmas/NY hours I traded it for the flagship phone, which I still have. Its not only my primary phone. landline was disconnected. It also provides internet to my house for the laptop and desktop. It would probably be more than enough for TV too, if I had one. Bought this phone with a 24month credit scheme and paid that off in 3 months.. the joys of a decent wage and nothing to spend it on due to lockdown!!

A good friend ofΒ mine asked why I spent so much on a phone.. My reply was to point at the watch on his wrist and tell him it cost less than the VAT he paid when he bought it. Silence.

There was a time, not all that long ago when I thought anyone who spent more than Β£100 on a mobile was mad.. my mobile phones for years cost about Β£10 from Asda. but.. now, circumstances have changed, a smart phone became a necessity once covid arrived and its generally been my policy to buy the best I can afford. I seem to have upped the ante on that one.

Anyway. phone is paid for and my unlimited everything contract is Β£22 a month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I bought my first ever smart phone last June.. bottom of the current range. Kept it for 6 months and paid off the 0% loan. Over Xmas, what with overtime and the bonus for Xmas/NY hours I traded it for the flagship phone, which I still have. Its not only my primary phone. landline was disconnected. It also provides internet to my house for the laptop and desktop. It would probably be more than enough for TV too, if I had one. Bought this phone with a 24month credit scheme and paid that off in 3 months.. the joys of a decent wage and nothing to spend it on due to lockdown!!

A good friend ofΒ mine asked why I spent so much on a phone.. My reply was to point at the watch on his wrist and tell him it cost less than the VAT he paid when he bought it. Silence.

There was a time, not all that long ago when I thought anyone who spent more than Β£100 on a mobile was mad.. my mobile phones for years cost about Β£10 from Asda. but.. now, circumstances have changed, a smart phone became a necessity once covid arrived and its generally been my policy to buy the best I can afford. I seem to have upped the ante on that one.

Anyway. phone is paid for and my unlimited everything contract is Β£22 a month.

Sounds like a very good strategy !

May I ask who you get the contract through?

Cheers

Ian

23 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Sounds like a very good strategy !

May I ask who you get the contract through?

Cheers

Ian

I went with Three as they have the best internet service in my area, which has just doubled in speed here due to 5G. They have reduced the price to Β£20 and halved that for the first 6 months. Β  I was expecting a price hike in April, but they told me it wasn’t going to happen this year and it’s capped to 2% I believe if it happens April next year.

Β 

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones?data=Unlimited&contractLength=24&id=1299&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=CSIM_Brand_SIM-Data_Gen_Exact&utm_content=UNLIMITED_DATA:_HEAD_[E]&utm_term=three_unlimited_data_plan&gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQjGkCmZfUVHrxpWAkKhsvNxfXxvQHGJ6zCoVNcEzENscEqPmv4we9BoCEdYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&aidset=1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I specifically wanted to avoid Chinese phones and get 3-4 yrs out of a phone.Β 

Β 

It's turning up today, unless it's a scam πŸ˜‚Β 

I have found with all phones after about 2 years the battery life becomes an issue.Β 

If I could just change batteries I would, I do wonder how many would not upgrade if they did not develop battery issues.

I am not an apple fan so that route not an option.

As 4G is marginal round here I don't think 5g will appear any time soon.Β  My home internet rarely gets into the teens.

Β 

I don't think 5g here will appear any time soon.

Β 

I am with 3 as it's either or EE round here and when 🍊 changed to EE the customer service became appalling imho 

I'm stuck with ee which isn't overly bad, 3 and Vodafone out in the countryside is non existent, o2 is mostly ok but has a couple of big dead spots, 3 pretty much always have the best data deals.

Β 

Last time I went into the 3 shop in metrocenter I couldn't get 4g on the shop phone, they had them all set to shopΒ  WiFi πŸ˜‚, that was a good few year ago.

Β 

I could happily bin house bb for 5gΒ 

52 minutes ago, onesea said:

I have found with all phones after about 2 years the battery life becomes an issue.Β 

If I could just change batteries I would, I do wonder how many would not upgrade if they did not develop battery issues.

I am not an apple fan so that route not an option.

Β 

I am. because I value privacy and security. new battery for my phone is Β£69 fitted, once the warranty expires. which I don't think is bad at all, considering.

Unless I make a bad, or ill considered decision, I tend to keep things until they become obsolete. So, if the battery does become an issue in a few years, I will more than likely have it replaced. what's the alternative? a phone that doesn't work has zero value.

I have never had any issues with a battery on any phone I have owned! The last phone was/is still fine battery wise and could easily get 2 days out of it and a full day with very heavy usage.Β 

Β 

I think batteries have come a long way over the years and they don't degrade as much and as quick as they used toΒ 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I have never had any issues with a battery on any phone I have owned! The last phone was/is still fine battery wise and could easily get 2 days out of it and a full day with very heavy usage.Β 

Β 

I think batteries have come a long way over the years and they don't degrade as much and as quick as they used toΒ 

Mines struggling now but it's nearly 4yrs old.

Β 

Normal use prob get a day out of it, dl and use a few pdf docs and it's noticeable, if I have it playing music whilst i work using phone speakers it's defo noticeable.

Β 

Any who, both phones charged about to do the swap, see you all in half an hour or a week depending on how it goes πŸ˜‚Β 

• Like 1

Well you will be pleased to know I'm back baby......

Β 

Or not πŸ˜€

Β 

Phone currently restoring most things, music's not appeared yet and number not swapped, it's busy mostlyΒ  doing incremental android updates.

Β 

It's bloody fast, I didn't think my old phone was slow but it is, 120hz screen is smooooooth