Electric Power or Petrol Motorcycles?

Troy

I read this article today...

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/survey-says-31-motorcyclists-would-stop-riding-if-electric-replaces-petrol

What’s everyone’s views on electric powered motorcycles?

Personally, I can probably live with an electric powered car.... but The idea of a motorcycle being electrical powered sounds absolutely unwanted!! 

For me it’s the sound of the engine.

The smell of fuel burning.

The excitement of getting a new aftermarket exhaust.

The adrenaline rush of pulling back the throttle and hearing it just starting to wake up and enter it’s “comfort zone”.

Then there is idea of knowing your sitting on what feels like a rocket that contains more than enough fuel that could ignite and cause you to go up in flames... I mean, I can honestly say I probably died with a smile on my face!!

The Isle of Man TT.... you come round a bend at 150+ mph and you don’t come off into a haystack or a tyre wall... instead you’ll probably end up headfirst into a window and spoiling a nice old ladies curtains and then start asking for your two front teeth back, and that’s if you survive. What a way to go, right!?

Giving up riding because of these changes sounds a bit extreme but I can understand why some people may want to jack it all in.

I know someone who has one of these(English Electric Zero) and he loves it! ... Its the  £20,000 price tag that puts me off!

b3ba6c36-c0c0-4217-ab41-f1b24c5b7225_MY2 

Edited by KiwiBob
  • Like 1

I would have one if it was in budget and practical.

They have not managed practical yet never mind budget, then my present bikes are 15 and 20 years old so I don’t think I will be having one soon.

Something will be along to replace exhausts, and the smell of burning dinosaurs.  The replacement flux capacitor and the smell and sound of electrons flying..

• Like 1

Once they solve the problem of charging time and range I'll be on the lookout of one.

I would need at least a similar range of the Pan and 30min charging, would allow me to have a bite while the bike is plugged.

Not sure if you heard the news @Six30

Fossil fuel engines are to be banned from 2030. Carmakers (and motorbike) are bringing all electric vehicles forward to 2025.

Don't expect to have petrol available much longer than that.

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

Fossil fuel engines are to be banned from 2030. Carmakers (and motorbike) are bringing all electric vehicles forward to 2025.

still be petrol vehicles around for years......stopping producing them , supposedly ....... they are not going to disappear over night. 

Edited by Six30
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Six30 said:

still be petrol vehicles around for years......stopping producing them , supposedly ....... they are not going to disappear over night. 

Not saying the we will wake up one day and all ICE (internal combustion engine) car are gone.

Lots will be just stuck in driveways with no petrol to run.

Finland is stopping all contracts with oil companies, Shell and BP are taking over most charging networks and converting petrol stations into EV charging stations.

Don't want to disappoint you but not too long until the only noise we will be hearing from cars and bikes will be when we fart 😂

Sorry not for me its all about the noise the vibration the connection with the engine. Ive watched the electric racing bikes evolve at the TT races for years and they sound like a tumble drier on spin cycle the only noise is the chain going round utterly boring. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, husoi said:

Not saying the we will wake up one day and all ICE (internal combustion engine) car are gone.

Lots will be just stuck in driveways with no petrol to run.

Finland is stopping all contracts with oil companies, Shell and BP are taking over most charging networks and converting petrol stations into EV charging stations.

Don't want to disappoint you but not too long until the only noise we will be hearing from cars and bikes will be when we fart 😂

so producing all this electricity to charge these cars ... the raw materials needed to make the batteries is going to be greener and better is it ... you poor deluded fools.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

so producing all this electricity to charge these cars ... the raw materials needed to make the batteries is going to be greener and better is it ... you poor deluded fools.

f**kin' A ! 

12 minutes ago, Six30 said:

Getting greener by the day😁

If you don't like the noise you can always stick the bread closer on the wheels and enjoy the clicks as they go round, ohh hold on plastics been banned too.

Can you still shrink crisp packets.

News recon expansion of London ulez is going to have a nick on effect on car prices across country.

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Getting greener by the day😁

If you don't like the noise you can always stick the bread closer on the wheels and enjoy the clicks as they go round, ohh hold on plastics been banned too.

Can you still shrink crisp packets.

News recon expansion of London ulez is going to have a nick on effect on car prices across country.

remember the old trick of some cardboard and clothes pegs

• Like 1

The problem is .....

In order for electric vehicles to work for society power generation and electric vehicle need to move in parallel ... like a rail track.

But thats not what is happening .... power generation is reducing .... power generation is bad ... say Greta and her mates.

For the UK to have the replacement electric car programme  they will have to generate nearly 3 times total current power generation ...

Coal mine anyone ...

2 hours ago, husoi said:

That's only the sale of ICE only vehicles, hybrids that use ICE will still be allowed until 2050.

36 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

For the UK to have the replacement electric car programme  they will have to generate nearly 3 times total current power generation ...

Coal mine anyone ...

Not so, there is ample capacity in UK power generation to allow all cars in the UK to be electric. The problem would come if there was a "beast from the east" scenario - the extra power demands from a severe and prolonged cold snap would mean the UK would be able to meet the combined demand for vehicles and the extra needed for heating homes etc.

I wouldn't mind giving an electric bike a go though.

6 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

That's only the sale of ICE only vehicles, hybrids that use ICE will still be allowed until 2050.

Not so, there is ample capacity in UK power generation to allow all cars in the UK to be electric. The problem would come if there was a "beast from the east" scenario - the extra power demands from a severe and prolonged cold snap would mean the UK would be able to meet the combined demand for vehicles and the extra needed for heating homes etc.

I wouldn't mind giving an electric bike a go though.

Don't forget we are supposed to be phasing out gas fired central heating too in this insane rush to greeness. Might be digging the Kelly kettle out of the loft.

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Don't forget we are supposed to be phasing out gas fired central heating too in this insane rush to greeness. Might be digging the Kelly kettle out of the loft.

Shouldn't be a problem, there is plenty of alternate heating solutions out there. There will be plenty of electric for us all. 👍

6 hours ago, Pie man said:

Shouldn't be a problem, there is plenty of alternate heating solutions out there. There will be plenty of electric for us all. 👍

We had electric (Glendale?) heating in our previous home and it wasn't as efficient or as cheap as gas. It was also bloody unreliable. Also who's going to pay for me to change my system? It won't be cheap. Wonder if I could get solid fuel which could burn greens and politicians - enough hot air surely.

And no I don't want an electric bike.

• Haha 2