Electric Power or Petrol Motorcycles?

Troy

There is not enough power generation to meet our current needs never mind the huge increase electric vehicles will bring.

If you think there is explain the thousands of “Gen Set Farms” tucked away all over the country. Diesel Power every one.

Massive industry, wholly out of sight as no one wants to admit that coal has given way to Diesel.

That beautiful morning without a breath of wind in spring, that wonderful crisp morning in winter, still,..... and only the roaring of the Gen-Sets to let anyone know where their power is coming from.

There are 23 of these power farms in the Rotherham area alone.

Green energy is the ultimate Emperors New Clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Trooper74 (and all the other "powerless advocates").

If the electricity production in the UK was not enough to match consumption at any given time we would have blackouts. That is the way energy network operates in any country.

20 or 30 years ago the surplus of energy would be around 20 to 25% above consumption to ensure there were no blackouts. Those 20% extra were wasted but necessary.

Currently and due to technology the network the surplus margin is around 2 to 3%, first because energy is far more expensive and second because less power on the lines means less heat.

For the consumption at current growth trend, UK's present production would last for another 25 years before maximum production was matched.

Considering the actual rate of installation of new energy production facilities, not only the UK will be able to decommission non green plants (coal and gas) but also will be able to export or store some of the energy.

An electric vehicle (EV) will consume less energy than an electric shower (3kw/h or 6kw/h depending on model) if charging at home.

High rates (20kw/h or above) will last less than 1hr per EV.

Most charging times at high rates is done from 5pm onwards while industrial consumption (non 24hr) would have already decreased.

Moreover, with cheap deals for home charging most EV drivers will opt to charge at home at 5p/kw while a rapid charge will cost around 35p/kw.

8 hours ago, Pie man said:

Shouldn't be a problem, there is plenty of alternate heating solutions out there. There will be plenty of electric for us all. 👍

There is indeed but retrofit to old buildings is going to be very expensive, heat pumps require large radiators, 10mm or 8mm pipes are to small, you need a storage tank it's going to hit 15k, or simply put in an electric combi and a storage tank, but that's a huge increase in demand..

husoi

Your listening but not hearing.

There is plenty of power. But it is not Green. Diesel generators as a primary back up are not Green, Drax burning a forest the size of England every 10 years is not Green, Wood pellets produced in the USA, shipped across the Atlantic in ships burning bunker fuel and delivered by fleets of HGV’s is not Green energy.

So EV’s are in no way “Green”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Trooper74 said:

husoi

There is plenty of power. But it is not Green. Diesel generators as a primary back up are not Green, Drax burning a forest the size of England every 10 years is not Green, Wood pellets produced in the USA, shipped across the Atlantic in ships burning bunker fuel and delivered by fleets of HGV’s is not Green energy.

I didn't say that current production is 100% green. contrary to what energy providers say we are still a long way from that. Needless to say that comparing to 15 years ago UK is far greener.

Diesel generators are still used yes but far more efficient and less of them.

When someone says that EV's are "green" in reality what they should be saying is that an EV is greener than any ICE.

Keep in mind that a fuel engine efficiency is around 25% older cars even less while EV's are around 60%.

We are 10's of years away from a complete sustainable and green but hopefully we will get there :thumb: 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

There is not enough power generation to meet our current needs never mind the huge increase electric vehicles will bring.

Really, there is.

2020 generation capacity = 682.58 TWh, of which 298 TWh was green (hydro, solar, wind, biomass).

2020 consumption = 310 TWh.

Total extra power requirements for all ICE cars to be replaced by EV = 140.4 TWh - this includes all power losses such as charging etc.

The caveat is abnormal power demands such as enexpected freak weather events as mentioned previously.

Data is available @ National Statistics - Digest of UK Energy Statistics (DUKES). 

• Like 1

With any luck I'll be dead by the time this miserable future comes to pass. Our little island will be oh so green. Meanwhile  China and India  and others will be happily burning all the cheap non-PC fuels they can lay hands on. We'll be skint as our energy bills will be way higher than theirs and in the meantime climate change will carry on to whatever its ultimate end. As it has always done.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bender said:

Getting greener by the day😁

If you don't like the noise you can always stick the bread closer on the wheels and enjoy the clicks as they go round, ohh hold on plastics been banned too.

Can you still shrink crisp packets.

News recon expansion of London ulez is going to have a nick on effect on car prices across country.

Total bollox , ulez , if every paid to go in these zones it’s ok to supposedly pollute...it’s all about money 

7 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

husoi

I never got the it's ok to burn trees but not coal bit 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bender said:

I never got the it's ok to burn trees but not coal bit 

You would have heard that is less armful to burn trees than coal based on CO2 and pollutants emissions.

As some clever scientist have pointed out, burning trees is also armful to the environment.

Basically, burning anything that smokes will be armful, to what extent depends on size and type of material i.e. if is carbon based.

Even cremation is armful to the environment, after all we are carbon based 🙄

I remember the very first mobile phone I ever saw, powered by two car batteries and the size of a pull along suitcase. old fashioned handset, curly wire and spinning dial. fast forward not a huge amount of time and I bought one that fitted in my pocket. And today I have one that has more power than any desktop computer I owned before 2011.

I was on the fence for a very long time as far as mobile phones went.. and its the same today. The current price is the deal breaker for me. Any other consideration/caveat is, I believe real pointless to speculate about. I foresee massive changes over the next decade or less. But for the present.. these are about as much on my radar as that very first.. or even slightly more portable later 'brick' phones were back in the day.

for much the same reasons. Price and utility.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

This my new phone ... Nokia 105.

Does what it says on the tin .. calls, text, torch, camera ... thats it ....

£17.99 Asda.

£6 / month, unlimited text and calls with SKY Mobile.

fullsizeoutput_3d1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

This my new phone ... Nokia 105.

Does what it says on the tin .. calls, text, torch, camera ... thats it ....

£17.99 Asda.

£6 / month, unlimited text and calls with SKY Mobile.

fullsizeoutput_3d1.jpeg

Calls????? on a mobile phone????

What else are they coming up with... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Manwithadog

I had a ride on a Harley Livewire today that belongs to a clients husband, what an amazing machine, very expensive though, I am looking at a Zero next week, definitely a contender to replace the Enfield, I generate my own power with a mixture of Solar and wind power, charging should be well within my current power generation.

12 hours ago, Bender said:

There is indeed but retrofit to old buildings is going to be very expensive, heat pumps require large radiators, 10mm or 8mm pipes are to small, you need a storage tank it's going to hit 15k, or simply put in an electric combi and a storage tank, but that's a huge increase in demand..

Retro fit isn't too bad when combined with ground source heat pumps, you can now have a system similar to your Y plan central heating. Problem with retro fit, slinkies typically require twice the footprint of your home and bore holes are the better option but more expensive. We're building 92 properties, all with ground source heating, only required 46 bore holes 180m deep 🤣🤣 its witchcraft I tell ya. 😀 

On 20/05/2021 at 07:40, S-Westerly said:

With any luck I'll be dead by the time this miserable future comes to pass. Our little island will be oh so green. Meanwhile  China and India  and others will be happily burning all the cheap non-PC fuels they can lay hands on. We'll be skint as our energy bills will be way higher than theirs and in the meantime climate change will carry on to whatever its ultimate end. As it has always done.

I agree load of bollox the whole thing 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 11:09, Blackholesun said:

I agree load of bollox the whole thing 

Cheer up ,  I've just found this on Facebook . If this is all they have to offer we might get to keep our noisy , stinky motorbikes for longer than expected . Non violent Boxersize has to be my favourite . 

Screenshot_20210521-201405.png

Screenshot_20210521-201427.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bender said:

I will have one of these just not sure if I would want the sound to be the Jetsons car or Fred Flintstones feet 

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news-amp/emula-concept-ev-emulates-petrol-powered-motorcycles-417462

https://youtu.be/XnzZaIagkXE

• Haha 1

I will definitely switch to an electric bike, eventually. I have the perfect space at home for parking and charging it. Once bikes appear with a 200 mile real world range for touring and lots of chargers where I can get at least 100 miles in 10 minutes or so, then I will switch.