Electric Power or Petrol Motorcycles?

Troy

1 minute ago, Bender said:

I thought the bike showed promise 😂 

Unlike the American! 

I can see it has some issues but I suspect its down to user error! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Stu said:

I don't know whats worse! the bike or the American! 

During ride:

Wow, like, it's so frikkin' fast. I can't believe it's so frikkin' fast. It like pulls like a train man.

After ride:

Wow, like, I got up to 54 mph...

Has this guy ever ridden a bike before?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr Fro said:

During ride:

Wow, like, it's so frikkin' fast. I can't believe it's so frikkin' fast. It like pulls like a train man.

After ride:

It was shipped half way round the world for very very little money, I was amazed it had wheels and moved 😁 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

During ride:

After ride:

But its so freaking fast!! 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

But its so freaking fast!! 

But there's U, V & W connectors on this thing and that thing... F*ck it, I'll just connect the colours so they match then go on about having to fiddle the phase angles in the software for ages. 🙄

• Haha 1

Not against ev, but don’t believe it will change/improve anything.  It is just new wave, new in.

co2 will continue to build up, temperatures will continue to go up, at least average, it is Earth’s cycle.

Still prefer sound of petrol engine and pop on overruns. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stu said:

I don't know whats worse! the bike or the American! 

I thought that was Honey G for the first few seconds! … seriously though electric bikes are definitely on the way if that is less than £1k from China

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2021 at 16:00, manxie49 said:

This is the road my mate lives on in Leicester,  I don't know how many hundreds of terraced houses there are down here but it's a lot ..... How are they going to provide charging points for every house down here?  Are charging leads going to be strewn all over the paths potentially creating another problem?  Or are they just expecting that the working classes will no longer be able to afford cars!  Personally, I really can't see how it's all going to work ....

11.jpg

Where I live, there are lots of communal car parks with the houses arranged round them. I wrote to my council, MP and the local housing association and asked what the plan was. The answer was, there is no plan as yet. So I wrote back and said that is not good enough, since there is a plan in place for switching to electric vehicles, there also needs to be one to provide chargers for people without driveways.

To my amazement, our car park is now on the list of where the council plan to install public chargers, even though only residents ever park here. Maybe that is the way for others to get chargers for their street?

I used to work for a automobile manufacturer & took a minor role in a specific capacity resolving issues on the periphery of their new all electric vehicle launch.

In a meeting I heard the following exchange:

Person A : “What is the predicted solution for charging vis-à-vis multiple occupancy dwellings e.g. flats”

Person B : “Any early adopters affording this vehicle will not be living in a bloody flat” 

I choked on my luke warm coffee & ginger nut biscuit, no one else blinked an eye!!

That was 3 1/2 years ago … wonder if the attitude has changed?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mickly said:

I used to work for a automobile manufacturer & took a minor role in a specific capacity resolving issues on the periphery of their new all electric vehicle launch.

In a meeting I heard the following exchange:

Person A : “What is the predicted solution for charging vis-à-vis multiple occupancy dwellings e.g. flats”

Person B : “Any early adopters affording this vehicle will not be living in a bloody flat” 

I choked on my luke warm coffee & ginger nut biscuit, no one else blinked an eye!!

That was 3 1/2 years ago … wonder if the attitude has changed?

I think someone missed a trick there. Where I used to live there where flats selling for over 800k and there were enough bunny huggers around to be creating committees for vehicle charging to be made a priority. This was 5 years ago. I sold up 3 years ago and there'd been no movement up to then.

17 hours ago, Throttled said:

Where I live, there are lots of communal car parks with the houses arranged round them. I wrote to my council, MP and the local housing association and asked what the plan was. The answer was, there is no plan as yet. So I wrote back and said that is not good enough, since there is a plan in place for switching to electric vehicles, there also needs to be one to provide chargers for people without driveways.

To my amazement, our car park is now on the list of where the council plan to install public chargers, even though only residents ever park here. Maybe that is the way for others to get chargers for their street?

They seem to be rushing headlong into massive problems .... I don't know how they'd do it where my mate lives,  no car parks, just nose to tail cars, all the side streets are the same, thousands of homes, parking is an absolute nightmare.  And that doesn't even begin to take into consideration those folk that live in high rise flats with only limited residential parking.

9 hours ago, manxie49 said:

They seem to be rushing headlong into massive problems .... I don't know how they'd do it where my mate lives,  no car parks, just nose to tail cars, all the side streets are the same, thousands of homes, parking is an absolute nightmare.  And that doesn't even begin to take into consideration those folk that live in high rise flats with only limited residential parking.

Amsterdam has lots of chargers in the old city. They are quite unobtrusive, like small poles. I see the future being streets lined with what look like the old fashioned parking meters, but instead, they are electric chargers, where instead of shoving coins in to park, you touch with your debit card and your account is automatically billed.

picture-51.png?w=300

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Throttled said:

Amsterdam has lots of chargers in the old city. They are quite unobtrusive, like small poles. I see the future being streets lined with what look like the old fashioned parking meters, but instead, they are electric chargers, where instead of shoving coins in to park, you touch with your debit card and your account is automatically billed.

picture-51.png?w=300

Okay in principle but what happens when you have people who can't park for toffee or those bellends that need to take up 2 spaces.

There needs to be some serious brainstorming to actually make it viable, and the people that are trying to push this through so quickly have no common sense to see the pitfalls in front of them.

I am all for saving the planet but this is not the right way to go about it.

• Like 2

All for saving the planet but it has to be a global effort. European refineries are still producing  high sulphur  fuel oils which are the thickest black shite you can imagine and it has to be heated to 60 C just to pump the stuff around. However in Europe you can't burn the stuff but are quite happy to ship it to the far side of the world where they still use it because its relatively cheap. Out of sight out of mind. I'm about to load 150kt of the stuff and take it from the Med to Indonesia. 

• Sad 1

New here but I started my 2 wheel journey on a 2019 Super Soco TS 1200r (a lot of name for a very small bike!) primarily my aim was to save money on my commute and I bought it secondhand for £1600 from a serviceman who was being posted abroad. It had only done 90 miles when I got it and had just been used for getting around the base.

I rode it on my old driving licence as it is a 50cc equivalent.

TBH it was great at doing what I had bought it to do and saved me a fortune compared to driving the car. The battery could be removed and charged under my desk off an ordinary socket. My commute was a 30 mile round trip mostly on country lanes with no viable public transport alternative. As a purely functional method of getting to work and back at minimal cost it's hard to beat. 

The downsides waere I still needed a car to do anything else as my commute was pretty much the limit of it's comfortable range. Acceleration was woeful and I soon learnt I had to wait for a massive gap in traffic to pull out onto any road outside a 30mph limit. Construction was a bit plasticky and it felt a little like riding a large childs toy.

Eventually I got the urge to move on a bit and exceed 30mph so did my CBT and now have a petrol bike which I love. I would have been tempted to stay electric but the bikes which claim to be 125cc equivalents are significantly more expensive than a petrol bike and don't gain much in range over my old Super Soco. I'm considering riding my 125 to Wales later in the year for an event, a trip that would be very time consuming on the TS, stopping ever 30  miles to re-charge for 4-5 hours! 

I hope to do my full test next year but still can't see going back to electric as a full size bike would be a financial stretch whereas I see lots of nice petrol bikes for sale at prices I could afford.

Electric technology does seem to be improving quickly though so who knows.....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

All for saving the planet but it has to be a global effort. European refineries are still producing  high sulphur  fuel oils which are the thickest black shite you can imagine and it has to be heated to 60 C just to pump the stuff around. However in Europe you can't burn the stuff but are quite happy to ship it to the far side of the world where they still use it because its relatively cheap. Out of sight out of mind. I'm about to load 150kt of the stuff and take it from the Med to Indonesia. 

You bad bad man. 

12 hours ago, ttxela said:

New here but I started my 2 wheel journey on a 2019 Super Soco TS 1200r (a lot of name for a very small bike!) primarily my aim was to save money on my commute and I bought it secondhand for £1600 from a serviceman who was being posted abroad. It had only done 90 miles when I got it and had just been used for getting around the base.

I rode it on my old driving licence as it is a 50cc equivalent.

TBH it was great at doing what I had bought it to do and saved me a fortune compared to driving the car. The battery could be removed and charged under my desk off an ordinary socket. My commute was a 30 mile round trip mostly on country lanes with no viable public transport alternative. As a purely functional method of getting to work and back at minimal cost it's hard to beat. 

The downsides were .. etc. etc.

This is how I got into bikes. When I changed jobs, I knew I needed a bigger bike to handle the 70s on my new commute, so I took DAS and got my full licence fully expecting to get an electric bike. That was nearly 11 years ago. Been riding a petrol bike ever since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 20:10, husoi said:

Not sure if you heard the news @Six30

Fossil fuel engines are to be banned from 2030. Carmakers (and motorbike) are bringing all electric vehicles forward to 2025.

Don't expect to have petrol available much longer than that.

Petrol/Diesel new cars are to stop being made by 2030 but the ones on the road will still be fine to use for many years to come.

While new cars and vans will move over to electric in that timeframe I don’t think it will happen for motorcycles or HGVs that fast l, they’re quite far behind development wise compared to cars and both have unique challenges to overcome.

I’ve driven a few electric cars, I liked them and I’d be fine driving one, if not for the cost!, although when the Model 3 has depreciated a bit more I will make the switch.

At the same time I like ICE cars as well and I’d favour an ICE motorbike and plan to keep one for as long as it’s viable.

I couldn’t say if I’d like an electric bike without riding one but I think it would detract from the experience at the moment.

Edited by The Hitcher

So far as EV bikes go to my mind there are 2 fundamental issues that need to be resolved before they become practical as long distance machines.  The first is decent range - barely a 100 miles is not. Secondly and I suppose this would alleviate the range issue would be some kind of effective rapid charging ie no more han 10 minutes. Until then they are pretty useless for what I do on a bike.

59 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

So far as EV bikes go to my mind there are 2 fundamental issues that need to be resolved before they become practical as long distance machines.  The first is decent range - barely a 100 miles is not. Secondly and I suppose this would alleviate the range issue would be some kind of effective rapid charging ie no more han 10 minutes. Until then they are pretty useless for what I do on a bike.

Battery experts and scientists are working on that solution 24/7 in multiple countries, it is only a matter of when. 

Double the power density and thats the range sorted, plenty of quick charge  re working of battery structure going on too, most trying to get away from the expensive nasty stuff they are currently made of.