Motorbike tools Wanted

Hi (not sure if I'm under the right heading here) the bike is my partners, want to get him some nice new tools for his birthday for his GSXR, unsure of where to even start, these will be to do things like oil changes, basic maintenance etc, also wishing to get a good quality tool drawer cabinet. Anyone that can advise or recommend anything would be very much appreciated. 

Regards

Tbh there are very few tools needed and a basic socket and spanner set will be more than adequate, and even then some of them won't even get used. He might find having a bike lift or paddock stands or even a proper battery charger/maintainer more beneficial.

Hi :-) 

whatbis your budget? Do you want to get everything needed or just a good symbolic start that shows your support for his endeavours?

I looked at the tool list in the back of the Haynes Manual and got a load of that for christmases. 
does he already have some tools?

I really like my Halfords pro socket set, my Allen keys (although if buying again I would get the T-shaped ones, reasonable set of screw drivers. Set of pliers, mole grips, snips. Also a multi-meter. 

• Like 1

Sledge hammer and a long steel tube for stubborn parts 😂

Seriously now,

Quality over cheap ones will go further in time.

As all of the above.

double closed spanners are a must together with closed ratchet spanner

https://www.toolstation.com/offset-ratchet-spanner-set/p88917

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ran out of patience with Halfords years ago, they break with almost alarming regularity. I donated them to a charity shop and switched to Bahco and nothing has broken since.

They make some very nice boxed sets. I have the 1/2” S400 socket and Spanner set. For hex keys, I recommend Wera and also Wera for torque wrenches. Knipex for pliers and Facom for mole grips.  Vessel for JIS screwdrivers which are essential for Japanese bikes if you didn’t get one with the bike.

in every case it’s “buy once, cry once”

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I ran out of patience with Halfords years ago, they break with almost alarming regularity. I donated them to a charity shop and switched to Bahco and nothing has broken since.

They make some very nice boxed sets. I have the 1/2” S400 socket and Spanner set. For hex keys, I recommend Wera and also Wera for torque wrenches. Knipex for pliers and Facom for mole grips.  Vessel for JIS screwdrivers which are essential for Japanese bikes if you didn’t get one with the bike.

Depends on what you buy, I've had a couple of items off the shelf from halfrauds that have failed, worst was a power bar, tore the end off first use, I've not however had any of the professional stuff fail, this is based on using them continuously over several years, I did manage to wreck a 3/8 ratchet but that was down to operator error and they replaced it,  everything comes down to  price point v use.

I have knipex side cutter that's crap and a pair of pliers that's great, hey ho.

My suggestion is to search "motorcycle tool kit" online and then see what is in your budget. The basic kit such as

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/workshop/tool_kit_pro/

is a step up from the very basic tool kit most bikes have under the saddle. For basic maintenance I would suggest adding the spanner needed for the rear axle nut, needed for chain adjustment. Depending on budget, a kit such as this may have the right size;

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tool-kits/7348889/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Hand_Tools_Whoop-_-Tool+Kits_Whoop-_-7348889&matchtype=&pla-529871941112&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nl-BIaNmfKSMe47eK-5dU8lcrKRTG3eZbBMJZ8rxgW4Zwww5FBgA3BRoCG3EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A tool for removing the oil filter would be good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164334452976?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=164334452976&targetid=1139674279347&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007311&poi=&campaignid=12125464307&mkgroupid=118518248844&rlsatarget=pla-1139674279347&abcId=9300481&merchantid=115746698&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nly5CZUiO8hInOVsl5oCXCkKfGa1E0oM7tCtRQYMQtjajCidLPT4aABoC0K0QAvD_BwE

You need to check relevant size and what fits. For oil changes you also need an oil catcher such as

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/masterpro-waste-oil-drainer-6-litre-with-drain-flute-538773700?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nly56vbBzoV5Xbok1CKtp6cUyq-9qzG4zKyH2r67RIMf649qH7p5uFxoCrCgQAvD_BwE

That covers the basics.

On 22/05/2021 at 23:46, Gerontious said:

Brilliant thank you :) he has some Halford ones that he regularly swears at when using. So I'm assuming they are either useless or keep breaking. I don't really have a budget perseh. But obviously cheaper the better, but I'd prefer he has some quality stuff for once so don't mind splurging a lil 🙂

Edited by t.smith2005
Spelling error

On 23/05/2021 at 00:53, Bender said:

I've not however had any of the professional stuff fail, this is based on using them continuously over several years, I did manage to wreck a 3/8 ratchet but that was down to operator error and they replaced it

Same here. Bought one of their 200 piece socket kits nearly ten years ago now and its held up to a lot of abuse. I've lost the allen keys somewhere and I did break one of the torx sockets (I may of used it in my impact wrench, still got replaced though :lol: )

If anything its the plastic case it came with that was crap, its held together now with about a full roll of duct tape :roll:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Same here. Bought one of their 200 piece socket kits nearly ten years ago now and its held up to a lot of abuse. I've lost the allen keys somewhere and I did break one of the torx sockets (I may of used it in my impact wrench, still got replaced though :lol: )

If anything its the plastic case it came with that was crap, its held together now with about a full roll of duct tape :roll:

My first set is still alive and the case too it's older than 10yrs, it even survived some idiot (me) driving over it in a Landover, it was pitch black and raining.

I have a newer set prob 3yr old haven't noticed any real change in quality.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about gifts. If I knew someone who was on the cusp of building a tool set. let's say they had nothing at all. nowt.

And this hypothetical person was someone I really liked and I wanted to get them off to a great start. what would I buy?

Full tool sets are all very well, but in some circumstances they can be a mistake. why buy a full set when for years you might only use 1 or 2 sockets? maybe 1 or 2 spanners? A single JIS screwdriver. (which its unlikely to be included anyway). you have spent on a tool set that perhaps contains 100 individual pieces and only ever seem to use 4 of them.

what would I buy this hypothetical person?

I would buy them a ratchet. and not just any ratchet. the best. (I think)

Buy them a ratchet and that means they needn't bother with full tool sets that include one (or two). For some people its better to build a tool set based on need. what do you actually need? For most bikes the beginnings are based around the most simple tasks. adjusting the chain. changing the oil. and so on.

This Ratchet..  1/2" version.  https://tinyurl.com/4s8hyv4h Its a bit more than 'simply' a ratchet.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 00:53, Bender said:

Depends on what you buy, I've had a couple of items off the shelf from halfrauds that have failed, worst was a power bar, tore the end off first use, I've not however had any of the professional stuff fail, this is based on using them continuously over several years, I did manage to wreck a 3/8 ratchet but that was down to operator error and they replaced it,  everything comes down to  price point v use.

I have knipex side cutter that's crap and a pair of pliers that's great, hey ho.

I have only ever had 1 item fail from the halfords range I have and that was a torx key 

But I did have a 24 inch breaker bar on it with a scaff pole attached making it about 6 foot long!! 

Took it in and they replaced it with no issues 

And the bolt had to be drilled out! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I was just thinking about gifts. If I knew someone who was on the cusp of building a tool set. let's say they had nothing at all. nowt.

And this hypothetical person was someone I really liked and I wanted to get them off to a great start. what would I buy?

Full tool sets are all very well, but in some circumstances they can be a mistake. why buy a full set when for years you might only use 1 or 2 sockets? maybe 1 or 2 spanners? A single JIS screwdriver. (which its unlikely to be included anyway). you have spent on a tool set that perhaps contains 100 individual pieces and only ever seem to use 4 of them.

what would I buy this hypothetical person?

I would buy them a ratchet. and not just any ratchet. the best. (I think)

Buy them a ratchet and that means they needn't bother with full tool sets that include one (or two). For some people its better to build a tool set based on need. what do you actually need? For most bikes the beginnings are based around the most simple tasks. adjusting the chain. changing the oil. and so on.

This Ratchet..  1/2" version.  https://tinyurl.com/4s8hyv4h Its a bit more than 'simply' a ratchet.

I couldn't be living with that the head on its bloody huge, I tend to find things tucked away and limited room when it's going to be awkward.

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

I couldn't be living with that the head on its bloody huge, I tend to find things tucked away and limited room when it's going to be awkward.

Not sure I see the point of your comment when I thought I clearly mentioned it was aimed at someone who had no tools at all. nothing. And wanted to start 'simple' with oil changes. chain adjustment and so on. (nothing 'awkward') Its not like smaller ratchets are an expensive purchase further down there line as and when they become a necessity.

Obviously if I buy someone a gift and its unwanted then they can subsidise further purchases by putting it on eBay and watch it sell in minutes.

Why should I care?

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Not sure I see the point of your comment when I thought I clearly mentioned it was aimed at someone who had no tools at all. nothing. And wanted to start 'simple' with oil changes. chain adjustment and so on. (nothing 'awkward') Its not like smaller ratchets are an expensive purchase further down there line as and when they become a necessity.

Obviously if I buy someone a gift and its unwanted then they can subsidise further purchases by putting it on eBay and watch it sell in minutes.

Why should I care?

And I never said you shouldn't buy them it I simply said it's not something I could live with as it's huge, I didn't realise you didn't want any comments 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

And I never said you shouldn't buy them it I simply said it's not something I could live with as it's huge, I didn't realise you didn't want any comments 😁

I wasn't suggesting that YOU buy one. I was answering the very first line of the OP.

"want to get him some nice new tools for his birthday for his GSXR, unsure of where to even start, these will be to do things like oil changes, basic maintenance"

And as I own one of these ratchets and use it for basic maintenance... it seems sensible to me to recommend it.

I have this really bad habit of taking questions literally and recommending things I own and use myself.  (I only do basic maintenance)

My tool kit.. excluding screwdrivers. My JIS drivers are on the bike and its raining. so.. call me a wimp,

IMG_0320.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I wasn't suggesting that YOU buy one. I was answering the very first line of the OP.

"want to get him some nice new tools for his birthday for his GSXR, unsure of where to even start, these will be to do things like oil changes, basic maintenance"

And as I own one of these ratchets and use it for basic maintenance... it seems sensible to me to recommend it.

I have this really bad habit of taking questions literally and recommending things I own and use myself.  (I only do basic maintenance)

My tool kit.. excluding screwdrivers. My JIS drivers are on the bike and its raining. so.. call me a wimp,

IMG_0320.JPG

Nothing wrong with what you have, If you have enough to do what you need then that's all you need.

Another vote for Halfords pro range. I only ever broke one socket and that was being silly with a seized bolt. They replaced it without quibble.

My kit has survived my years working on pre-1975 cars, ie rust buckets with every bolt seized solid. 

• Like 1