E10 Fuel in motorbikes

Stu

This has always being a long debated subject when it crops up that ethanol in fuel is bad and destroys "all" rubbers which it can do in prolonged use but only on certain motorbikes or cars.

So as from September 2010 E10 will become the standard 97-RON unleaded in the UK which I believe is replacing the E5 95-RON which means rather than having a max of 5% ethanol it will have a minimum of 5.5% and maximum of 10%

Although E5 will still be available in the form of super unleaded 

Why ethanol? well its burns like petrol and will reduce CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year. While ethanol burns like petrol its higher octane that's probably why its upping 95 RON to 97 its actually less energy dense 

Pure petrol's energy density is 34.2 megajoules per litre while ethanol is 24 megajoules per litre

E10 comes in at 33.18 MJ/L 

Not a great difference but that means less MPG by about 1-2% 

While ethanol mixes with petrol and does not separate which is good it also attracts water which is bad! if bikes or cars are laid up for a length of time the ethanol the ethanol can absorb water even from the air and the fuel can undergo a phase separation where the ethanol and water mixture separates from the petrol and sinks to the bottom of the tank which can cause rust and ethanol over time can become acidic corroding aluminium, zinc and galvanised metals. 

It can also react with plastics and rubbers if left for a length of time too which some bikes have plastic fuel tanks like the 2003 - 2011 Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Sportclassic, Streetfighter, Superbiker and hypermotard which Ducati had replaced on affected bikes. This was more of an issue in the USA as they have been using 10% ethanol since 1978 and has been standard for a decade. 

There is a E10 compatibility list available on the gov website 

• Like 1

Just another way to get more money out of people. If your car or bike doesn’t run on E10 you can still put E5 premium for an extra cost. 
If you do want to run E10 then it’s still going to cost more due to less mpg. 

• Like 1

Sometimes ethanols capacity to absorb water can be helpful, you don't tend to get so many problems with water droplets in fuel these days. Previously we used to add some meths to petrol to absord water droplets. 

The US has a drier climate than the UK so it will be interesting to see what the advice is for laying up bikes over the winter. My guess is it's better to store them with a full tank so there is less air in the tank and so less water vapour present to be absorbed.

• Like 1

Makes me wonder how they cope in France which presumably has always had the same compatibility issues. Go to any 24/7 petrol station, the unmanned card only type, which is the vast majority over there and you will not find any petrol aside from E10. (plus diesel).

Interestingly the EU are, or were proposing a cut in crop-based ethanol usage, the % used isn fuel due to the adverse impact on food prices and deforestation in areas of the world where its seen as 'easy money'. A cut to a maximum 3.8%. (source Reuters)

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My guess is it's better to store them with a full tank so there is less air in the tank and so less water vapour present to be absorbed.

Which has always been the advice anyway

I don't think 6 months laid up will pose problems to be honest 

13 hours ago, Stu said:

I don't think 6 months laid up will pose problems to be honest 

Just serviced my 2 stroke outboard (15hp Mercury) in preparation for half term. To my horror I learnt that I left it full of fuel in July last year. Mentally I was preparing for a carburettor Armageddon...

Fired up on 2nd pull, on old petrol ,😀

I'm assuming 2 stroke oil doesn't make and positive difference here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry1111 said:

Just serviced my 2 stroke outboard (15hp Mercury) in preparation for half term. To my horror I learnt that I left it full of fuel in July last year. Mentally I was preparing for a carburettor Armageddon...

Fired up on 2nd pull, on old petrol ,😀

I'm assuming 2 stroke oil doesn't make and positive difference here.

Our daughter's old car was last driven March 2020 when lockdown began. Since then she's been working from home. The battery died but once I connected my starter pack the engine fired first turn of the key. That's with fuel that was over a year old.

• Like 1

I have learned with fuel storage conditions are important plastic tanks are not as good as metal, storing in dark place with fairly stable temperatures also helps.

Certainly with outboards fresh fuel is better if they have been stored, then I think it dissolves and burns shit in the carbs, lines and tanks better.  Once in regular use they are less fussy.

As most engines are built for the international market, the Americans will have dealt with the worst of the teething problems.

18 minutes ago, onesea said:

I have learned with fuel storage conditions are important plastic tanks are not as good as metal

They are a lot better in the event of a fire though!! :lol: