Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

OFX.com for buying a motorcycle???


Gruffs
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking to purchase a bike from somebody overseas. The seller has suggested using OFX.com as we are unable to meet in person to make the sale or view the bike. He says that they offer a service that gives me 7 days after receiving the bike to cancel the deal and get my money back in full. The funds aren't realised to him until after 7 days and only if I'm satisfied. Has anybody used this service before? And would they recommend?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless you can see the physically see the bike and proof that he owns it and has the V5c in his name I would steer well clear of this, There are so many red flags waving reading your post to me it sounds a con.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's sent me a picture of himself, a picture of himself holding his driving license and the log book in his name. Said the bike was his brothers (who passed away recently.) I'm suspicious myself but so far everything matches up and seems okay??? Thanks for the reply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having lived abroad and been involved in transactions where I couldn`t attend, at the very worst I would arrange for a friend or relative to turn up and show the bike/car to the prospective buyer and if they don`t like it or can`t attend I will readvertise or offer to someone else.

As @Old-codger has rightly said there are too many scammers out there on both sides of the fence!

Sorry but trust no fooker till money and documents are all sorted (That includes insurerers as well!

Cheers

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Where is the bike and why can you not see it!

It's in the northern most reaches of Scotland actually (somewhere called Wick,) and I'm in southern England. It's far too much of a drive to be travelling for a viewing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a scam- I have had similar and end up playing along. I was buying a motorhome earlier in the year. I asked to view it and was told it was in MAnchester. The seller said it was lockdown and I shouldnt travel- I said I was a key worker and could travel. The next day I was told it was in the north of Scotland- I asked him how that happened as it was in Manchester the previous day and there was a lockdown and he was abroad. He advised me not to travel as I could get a fine- I told him I wouldn't as I was a copper- I never heard from him after that :-)

 

If it was Ebay- they try to get you of cominicating on Ebay and to use their email (they say they have issues with their account and struggle to receive messages) Also, look at their other itmens for sale- it is amazing when one person has 10 motorhomes, 6 range rovers and 20 motorcycles for sale.

 

Everyone loves a bargain, but if it is to good to be true, then it is a scam

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sm0129 said:

Its a scam- I have had similar and end up playing along. I was buying a motorhome earlier in the year. I asked to view it and was told it was in MAnchester. The seller said it was lockdown and I shouldnt travel- I said I was a key worker and could travel. The next day I was told it was in the north of Scotland- I asked him how that happened as it was in Manchester the previous day and there was a lockdown and he was abroad. He advised me not to travel as I could get a fine- I told him I wouldn't as I was a copper- I never heard from him after that :-)

 

If it was Ebay- they try to get you of cominicating on Ebay and to use their email (they say they have issues with their account and struggle to receive messages) Also, look at their other itmens for sale- it is amazing when one person has 10 motorhomes, 6 range rovers and 20 motorcycles for sale.

 

Everyone loves a bargain, but if it is to good to be true, then it is a scam

I reported someone on ebay few year back, wife spotted a motor home that was a bargain, as we're all his other campers, sports cars, classic cars and if memory serves me correctly the hot tub that he could deliver direct only as it was in secure storage 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice one guys, thanks for the heads up. Yeah he was advertising on Ebay but could only communicate through email. Definitely a scam. Much appreciate the support guys, will avoid. Dont suppose there is any way of reporting or catching these guys???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gruffs said:

Nice one guys, thanks for the heads up. Yeah he was advertising on Ebay but could only communicate through email. Definitely a scam. Much appreciate the support guys, will avoid. Dont suppose there is any way of reporting or catching these guys???

Could report it to action fraud but it will just get lost in the mire of many many others, report it to ebay it will get taken down, possibly maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A scam for sure. Probably worth reporting it to ebay. But the guy will probably just open another account.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Gruffs said:

Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to swerve it and take your advice..many thanks 

yes another will come up and more genuine sounding

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Can you confirm the sellers name as i have had exact same situation but this is with a car located upper most region of Scotland. Offered to sell via OFX including delivery in the price, no monies transferred 7 days etc.

Also offered photo of himself with drivers licence and V5c. Have been looking for some time for this exact car so is therefore tempting. 

PS his brother recently died and he now lives in Spain!

What do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why don't you offer to go to see the car this weekend? Chances are that it suddenly moves to Fair Isle.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paulwww said:

Can you confirm the sellers name as i have had exact same situation but this is with a car located upper most region of Scotland. Offered to sell via OFX including delivery in the price, no monies transferred 7 days etc.

Also offered photo of himself with drivers licence and V5c. Have been looking for some time for this exact car so is therefore tempting. 

PS his brother recently died and he now lives in Spain!

What do you think?

You can claim my 17m usd from a guy in sa if it goes pear-shaped, which it most very likely will. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Gents

 

Michael99 - tell us what your experience has been in that you seem to have sent him 2k?

 

Seems like we are talking to the same guy? only the location is slightly different!!! I did contact ebay but the ad had been taken down....

 

I've copied and pasted his email to me

 

Thank you for your reply.

I've attached some photos to this message.

It is a 970s Morris Mini Cooper Mk1.

My cooper 970 S Has been made in to what it intended to be from the factory - A Race / Rally Car !

Details as follows:

- mini lite alloys from mini spares. Off road tyres
- It has full roll cage
- fibreglass doors bonnet and boot lid
- plastic side windows
- adjustable front arms etc
- its had plates of welding over the years . But is solid and does not need any welding
- it has the correct 970 s engine Block Cranks rods
- 11 stud 940 head
- 1128 Gearbox
Starts and drives. All lights brakes work etc
It has patina
Its paint and chrome bumpers grille etc in original condition.

I had the engine fully rebuilt got all the electrics working etc

MOT and Tax exempt.

Built in November 1964 dispatched to Yeovil Somerset.

 

The car is located in Helmsdale, Scotland.
Unfortunately, I have relocated to Spain and Helmsdale is too far away to arrange a viewing for each offer I get.

I suggest going through OFX.com secure online service which gives you 7 days inspection period on all vehicles for high amount payments before OFX.com pays the seller (similar to escrow service and more secure than PayPal). OFX.com has great reviews on Trustpilot. The new Amazon Payment Services Provider Program for stores and also in partnership with eBay.


The total price is £7400 including delivery fees and insurance. The estimated time of arrival (ETA) is 4 to 6 working days.

I will set up a purchase agreement with OFX.com and offer a full 7 days inspection period through their money-back guarantee purchase protection program. This purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded instantly by OFX and they will charge me with the return delivery costs. I don't think this will be the case as the car is very clean and tidy as you can see in the photos.

I will get paid only after you confirm that the car is as described. Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few other offers from potential buyers.
If you do want to go ahead please email me your full name and address along with your daily contact number to get this purchase registered with eBay and OFX's secure payment service.

I can send you a copy of the V5c for proof of ownership along with a selfie photo holding my driving license.

Thanks,
Warren

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.