Expectations with new Heavy duty Fork Springs.

jedibiker

11 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I know you already have the Hagon springs, but Hyperpro do actually do springs for your bike. 
£133 delivered. 

https://www.webshop-hyperpro.com/en/motorbike/suzuki/gsf-650-n-bandit/gsf-650-n-bandit/2005-2006/suspension/front-suspension/fork-spring-kit/SP-SU06-SSA019

In the photo they supply SAE15. Maybe something to think about if you’re going to put heavier oil in. 

I went on that a few times, each time not finding england in the drop down box no matter what I selected. may have a point with the oil.. which makes me wonder if any of these are actually better springs or if they just have us put better oil in lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

swapped the 7.5w oil out for 10w, trying different preload settings but it really feels every little bump. preload setting doesnt really affect how it reacts to bumps.

will get there eventually but tempted to put a busa shock in too

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update, put 15w oil in the forks, preload still wound pretty far in, still travels the same distance and doesnt seem much better at all.. i didnt like the feel in the corners.

maybe im expecting too much from the Hagon springs and still need to wind them far in and just stick with 10w oil.

For the Rear I have a YSS shock brand new... will fit this week so at least that will be better... well, it has to be lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2021 at 07:32, jedibiker said:

I went on that a few times, each time not finding england in the drop down box no matter what I selected. may have a point with the oil.. which makes me wonder if any of these are actually better springs or if they just have us put better oil in lol.

I just tried this and "United Kingdom" is there when you select "Non-EU" countries ? The "Streetbox" looks like a good deal.

On 08/10/2021 at 09:03, NM_OLD said:

I just tried this and "United Kingdom" is there when you select "Non-EU" countries ? The "Streetbox" looks like a good deal.

Ah right, Ive got Hagon progressives now, and really cant get on with them.

No matter what the preload it seems to feel harsh, tried 7.5w, 10w and now 15w and it feels like every bump is felt. winding off the preload and it uses loads of travel.. so I do wish I had tried the hyper pro.

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Ah right, Ive got Hagon progressives now, and really cant get on with them.

No matter what the preload it seems to feel harsh, tried 7.5w, 10w and now 15w and it feels like every bump is felt. winding off the preload and it uses loads of travel.. so I do wish I had tried the hyper pro.

No offence, but I think whatever you do you will not be happy with the result. Your best bet is a suspension set up expert

• Like 3

12 hours ago, billy sugger said:

No offence, but I think whatever you do you will not be happy with the result. Your best bet is a suspension set up expert

why would I be offended? your probably right.

The only issue with an expert is what they set things too. Rider sag being the first goal. now to get rider sag correct on that bike id need stiffer springs, which is great for racing etc, but not road use, well to a certain level.

Ive got the yss rear shock as its meant to be awesome, could not get sag figures without winding right in, then its too stiff.. A guy on youtube bought same spring, went for the spring set for his weight and the ride was too harsh. so he went back to the spring it came with and it was better. Im finding the rear not too bad but have had to wind off preload so the rider sag is out but comfort is coming in but keeping handling too.

So at this point I agree it may pay off to speak to an expert if the advice is a better spring which not only give some comfort but also handles with or without the correct sag numbers. Ive watched loads if dave moss but he is very track based but there is good advice on static sag as a starter. Im not expecting my bike to ride like a BMWK1300 which is smooth, but to just not feel all bumps.

So the 15w oil for the front is coming out and 10 going back in, as that was much closer. rear has lots more settings to play with, but rider sag wont be a factor unless i buy a heavier spring and risk it being harsh.

cheers

There is no way to dial out all the bumps, as you put it, but are any of your shocks gas assisted? Springs are inhererenty rubbish by themselves, and winding on lots of preload just reduces how much the shock can travel so you could end up just bottoming out the shock. 

As for the front, progressive springs can help, and you could try spacers on top of the springs and leave the oil at standard weight. Thicker oil just slows the reaction down, as it is harder to flow so again, could make it worse, especially on our roads.

You say you've watched loads of dave moss, but, as you point out he is track oriented, and they dial out as much dipping under braking as they can get away with (and most tracks are smooth) so they will be harsh in street use

• Like 1