Which chain and sprockets?

bonio

The DR-Z needs new chain and sprockets. Longest I've ever had a bike with a chain is 3 years, and never needed to replace it, so this is a whole new experience. I've got to the second hurdle and fallen. First hurdle was - how many teeth (going to use stock, which is what I've got now - 15 front and 41 rear). Second hurdle: what chain / brand / kind to buy? Don't want to buy a chain that wears or stretches. And it has to be gold cos the bike needs a bit of bling. Any ideas? Ta in advance.

DID chains are good, often considered by many to be the best. they do gold versions.

You need to look after gold chains, my bike had gold chain when I got it. It looked good untill winter, I omitted to keep plenty of grease on the side (gold part) the gold colouring started to come off because of rust and it looked horrible.

• Like 1

Take a look at Wemoto. They do chain and sprocket kits for most bikes. You will need a rivetting tool if you haven't got one. I cut chains with an angle grinder so don't bother with a rivet extractor. For fitting the chain I find the KM500 type the simplest to use. The design makes flaring the rivets a doddle with no chance of overdoing it and creating a tight spot. 

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-790050

• Like 1

It's very simple . Choose a well known brand such as EK , Regina or DID . The next bit is easy , the more you pay , the better the chain . For the sprockets just get JT . 

Screenshot_20210609-163546.png

• Like 2

Ive always been a fan of Tsubaki chains.. and here is a simple answer for you. Full kit, all standard for the bike. £114 less the discount they give to members of this forum.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/184677?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzYGGBhCTARIsAHdMTQw1WC_XUea2KCRMa4FzPALHpzQyIv4O3v6BYJquXIQBztUzz0tH1Y8aAkbCEALw_wcB

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2