Youtube and adverts

Now..

I'm of opinion that advertising should be 99.5% banned, that lying to make money should be a criminal offense and those doing it are just one step down from bankers.

Some do like it and I can live with it, as I say, the above is my opinion and nothing more than that, live with it. :P

Being interrupted every 3min with stupid advertising that means nothing to me is like slapping a dog that is quietly sleeping and doing nothing wrong.

So I have been looking for alternatives to Youtube.

I do recognise that YT can be nice, I really enjoy watching my favourite comedians and some other clips and would (reluctantly) accept a few adverts, once in a while, rarely and ideally that would somehow show me something that I didn't knew existed. However, the same way you won't eat 10kg of lemons because lemon is good for your health, I don't want an advert during the solo of David Gilmour's Comfortably numb song another one at the start and one at the end.

I've come across a few websites that are music dedicated, tonnes of types of music that would cover most individual tastes and that have little advertising.

My all time favourite is the stream used in Winamp (shoutcast.com) but you will need to install the app to get access.

Lately I found https://www.internet-radio.com/stations/chillout/ (you can remove the word chillout t the end if you want something else).

Excellent sound quality, not the trimmed crap you get on YT, have listened to a couple stations all morning today and had zero adverts. Easy to navigate and a large array of stations.

I am aware that there are a lot more like this website but knowing a bit more doesn't hurt :thumb: 

All well and good but where do you think YouTube make their revenue ?  If you don't like the Ad's , pay for the premium service . 

27 minutes ago, fastbob said:

All well and good but where do you think YouTube make their revenue ?  If you don't like the Ad's , pay for the premium service . 

Maybe you didn't read this bit...

"...and would (reluctantly) accept a few adverts, once in a while,..."

I'm a commercial by profession and know very well where they get their money from. However, there is a difference between covering costs plus a bit of profit and being greedy b@stards...

Plus, I would be more forgiving if they would pay taxes as everybody else (honest tax payers).

Edited by husoi

the greedy bast*rds that irritate me the most isn't YT. plenty of YT content with zero ads.

its the content creators.. some of them.  the worst are the freeloaders, the type who will 'copy' some TV programme and then fill it with ads.. especially that worst type that are unstoppable with no 'skip after' button. I tend to block these "creators" out of hand.. though they soon disappear after being flagged for copyright infringement.

I'm currently not bothered enough by ads to want to pay for the ad-free service. that may change at some point, but for now its just a minor irritation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, husoi said:

Maybe you didn't read this bit...

"...and would (reluctantly) accept a few adverts, once in a while,..."

I'm a commercial by profession and know very well where they get their money from. However, there is a difference between covering costs plus a bit of profit and being greedy b@stards...

Plus, I would be more forgiving if they would pay taxes as everybody else (honest tax payers).

Yes , I did read that bit . 

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Simple policy - if an advert annoys me I never buy that product.

I am the same with marked vehicles, if there driving is selfish and inconsiderate that will be there attitude to customers...

Only different one in that is the local council (you have to deal with them). However they have brilliant app that you can report various things through including inconsiderate behaviour ..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, onesea said:

I am the same with marked vehicles, if there driving is selfish and inconsiderate that will be there attitude to customers...

Only different one in that is the local council (you have to deal with them). However they have brilliant app that you can report various things through including inconsiderate behaviour ..

I knew a guy who worked as a manager for a company that had quite a few vans around the Cov area, having nearly been run off the road by one I told him & his reply was “we don’t employ them for their driving skills” I then pointed out that I was on my bike & being a fellow biker he shouldn’t be so flippant: he then got embarrassed and mumbled something about “looking in to it”

Of course F all happened - so if you’re in Cov & see a ‘Sealability’ van … beware !!

21 minutes ago, Mickly said:

“we don’t employ them for their driving skills”

Well if they don't care about there driving why should they care about the work they do....

I have also been known to phone hands free "ok Google call "Sealability Coventry"", then have a polite chat. 

Some companies are more receptive than others, adding to the conversation with let's hope your company name is clear on the cam footage is often sporting..

Different companies have completely different policies.

When I was in London, one of the companies I worked for would have a disciplinary action if someone would ever called complaining about a driver. HR would call the complainer reporting what action was taken or explaining what was the driver's explanation.

Van drivers would have to be at the office at 7am, wash the van every day, then load the van with the stuff they would need for the day ahead. At the end of the day they would return to the office and last task was to wash the van again.

Anybody driving a company car would have to give a bloody good excuse for parking or speeding tickets. And they would be deducted from the salary with no exception.