Summer Clothes

This is the 1st summer since getting a motorbike and although I want to ensure I wear the proper protective gear that I have alreadybought, I don't want to be sweating out in it.

Any suggestions on summer gear that is casual, protective and breathable.

Thanks

Mesh jackets and Kevlar jeans is my summer set up.  There's lots of mesh jackets out there with A or AA safety rating. Same for jeans. I've got a Merlin mesh jacket and bull-it jeans. I've got Merlin boots with outlast which is doing my a surprisingly good job of not having sweaty feet. 

There's lots of options to suit your riding style and budget so there's no excuse for not wearing proper kit. Scooter riders seem to be oblivious to this which is a huge rant I could go on

At the moment I'm commuting in:

Bull it jeans.

Alpinestar gunner jacket with the liner taken out. Just a t shirt underneath. 

Alpinestar boots.

Works well enough.

Jacket has all the vents I need and the jeans are lightweight.

I have biker jeans, and a loose fitting leather jacket that can fit 3 jumpers under in winter and in summer is easy to take it but it's loose enough that it gets good air flow through it on the move...

I literally just opened the box on a Revit Vertex mesh jacket.  At £133 from FCmoto (and no taxes) there are many more expensive jackets out there and if I hadn't wanted shoulder sliders I could have bought even cheaper.   

First thoughts are that I measure as a XL and it fits me (win).  It seams to be for a guy with skinny arms though. Tried it on and sat on my bike VFR800 in aero-tuck mode. It possibly rides up a little, but on a more upright bike it wouldn't.  The included CE1 armor is (remarkably? worryingly?) thinner than other jackets I own, but maybe those are just fat to make up for being less technical. 🤔  No back protector and no internal layer.  Good on both counts.  I dislike paying for standard armor when I'm just going to bin it and fit Level2 and who wants a body warmer in summer???? Possibly I would buy a rain jacket for over the top but a waterproof inner would be just dumb.

Anyway I hope that gives you points to think about when you shop around.

Edited by Pbassred
typo

Thanks all for reply. Been really helpful.

I'm currently looking into getting some summer gloves and as many of you have mentioned them, I might also look at some bull it jeans

I took a 3 1/2 hour ride out today & coz it was hot I wore armoured jeans ilo leather, my take out was:

1/ The jeans started to chafe after a couple of hours ( only used them for short trips before ) - could be solved by wearing shorts underneath ilo boxers but it kind of defeats the object.

2/ Because the ventilated leather jacket was not zipped to the trousers it flapped around quite a bit at speed - this got tiring very quickly.

So I would recommend a 2 piece that zips together & forgo the cooling for padding on the arse.

I use Halvarssons single layer jeans with a Halvarssons jacket which has good venting. Using their belt adapter I zip the jeans to the jacket. No flapping, good venting and reasonably comfy up to the high 20's. My helmet is mainly white as I really don't fancy boiling my head with a dark helmet again. Once was enough.

On 10/06/2021 at 19:36, Ellyt247 said:

This is the 1st summer since getting a motorbike and although I want to ensure I wear the proper protective gear that I have alreadybought, I don't want to be sweating out in it.

Any suggestions on summer gear that is casual, protective and breathable.

Thanks

A821BAEE-3BC4-45B6-9811-8785F79BD652.jpeg

I wear A2 flying jacket, T-shirt and jeans with bike boots in the summer ... You can spend thousands of pounds on motorbike clothing which frankly just keeps your remains in one place after the 27 Tonne HGV has driven over you .... 

😀

12 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I wear A2 flying jacket, T-shirt and jeans with bike boots in the summer ... You can spend thousands of pounds on motorbike clothing which frankly just keeps your remains in one place after the 27 Tonne HGV has driven over you .... 

Having slid off as a yoof in a pair of Brutus Gold jeans, I would thoroughly recommend not wearing std jeans when riding - a particularly vicious cottage hospital nurse took a nail brush & iodine to my wounds while telling me “it was all my own fault for riding one of those death traps” 

Edited by Mickly
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

😀

Dunno if you've been driven over by one of them I suspect you might be a bit spread out and possibly feeling a bit flat.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Haha 1