The worlds going mad!!

Stu

I have been looking for fencing recently and the price of it is going sky high!! some 30 -50% more than this time last year! 

Some people are blaming covid a lot of people are blaming brexit! and some are saying Europe are holding it ransom due to brexit! 

Discuss................

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I have been looking for fencing recently and the price of it is going sky high!! some 30 -50% more than this time last year! 

Some people are blaming covid a lot of people are blaming brexit! and some are saying Europe are holding it ransom due to brexit! 

Discuss................

Both.

Definitely Brexit related.

Wouldn't be surprised if all the wood yards are now owned by Johnsons cronies....

Just now, NeilM said:

Both.

Definitely Brexit related.

Wouldn't be surprised if all the wood yards are now owned by Johnsons cronies....

its going mental! 

National shortage on all sorts! bricks, glass, wood resins for shower trays! 

At one point some places even blamed the Suez canal 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

its going mental! 

National shortage on all sorts! bricks, glass, wood resins for shower trays! 

At one point some places even blamed the Suez canal 

And apparently Weetabix

Timber has been in short supply since backend of last year, as has a lot of building materials, it's not brexit it's a global lack of supply added to who pays the most gets it, prices always go up if there is more demand than supply. 

Every Tom dick and Harry has saved  money and wants to spend it on stuff every one wants, we're building houses all over there is only so much stuff to go round. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

The annoying part is that now these prices have gone up I bet they won't come back down again 

If everyone stops buying they will drop like a brick, but that won't happen cause you can't buy a brick 😂 

• Haha 2

One explanation given to me was that capacity was reduced as a result of the 2008 crash, consequently  the supply is unable to keep up with the upsurge in demand. 

No bloody idea if that’s a factor or not. I do know that the many bits of work and garden projects we have to do here are costing a bloody fortune. 

506326DC-0D12-458F-9894-AA182E72E221.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M

Materials have gone chicken oriental.

It cost me a grand for the shed materials, it's costing another grand for 18 metres worth of fence panels, posts and gravel boards when they can get them.

So glad I did my shed last year. Would of probably cost a couple of hundred more at current prices!!

Its a problem in America as well. Seen loads of jokes and memes on some of the Facebook groups i'm part of.

For Example......

5PIDFkc.jpg

9ys5qskza3o61.png

• Haha 5

I get emails from our procurement on a weekly basis with stupidly high increase of prices at all levels.

Fuel, rebar, aggregates. You name it.

Someone is taking the piss and filling their pockets

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Tom dick and Harry has saved  money and wants to spend it on stuff every one wants, we're building houses all over there is only so much stuff to go round. 

Last year I got all the wood I needed for my shed from a local merchant. If I had wanted any decking I would of been completely stuffed for a couple of months as everyone was doing decks in their garden as a project.

Similar situation when I bought my new (to me!) car. Dealer said all the decent used motors were flying out, was hard to get them in. they had even had to hire a couple more sales staff. 

As you said, people had money to burn as they couldn't go anywhere to spend it and many (like me) had got refunds on family holidays.

15 hours ago, Bender said:

Mate just sold range rover back to garage where they bought it 2yrs ago, they only lost 2k

I saw on the news, inflation is going up in the US mainly because 2nd hand vehicles are getting much more expensive.

I've had exactly the same problem Stu,  I've just built a raised decking area in our garden,  I priced all the timber up last year for the job but never got round to doing it, last year the timber would have cost me £480, this year I paid, for the exact same lot of timber almost £800!  Complete joke,  and yes,  the builders merchant has blamed the excess cost on Brexit.  We're also waiting for our path to be resurfaced with a resin type surface,  they keep putting the date back and back all the time saying they're struggling to get hold of the resin,  it's coming from somewhere in Europe and Brexit is being blamed,  I'm just glad we have a written quote for this work because the costs are going to rise.

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

I've had exactly the same problem Stu,  I've just built a raised decking area in our garden,  I priced all the timber up last year for the job but never got round to doing it, last year the timber would have cost me £480, this year I paid, for the exact same lot of timber almost £800!  Complete joke,  and yes,  the builders merchant has blamed the excess cost on Brexit.  We're also waiting for our path to be resurfaced with a resin type surface,  they keep putting the date back and back all the time saying they're struggling to get hold of the resin,  it's coming from somewhere in Europe and Brexit is being blamed,  I'm just glad we have a written quote for this work because the costs are going to rise.

I'm confused as to how brexit is to blame 

https://www.dezeen.com/2021/06/07/french-architects-wood-shortage-prices-up-lina-ghotmeh/

Every country is facing the same problem, unfortunately there are people who like to blame everything on brexit, non of the suppliers I use have blamed brexit, I guess its just an easy thing to blame. 

• Like 1