The worlds going mad!!

Stu

20 minutes ago, Bender said:

I thought thatchers used Reed grass, bet the bloody French have banned us from growing it. 

No but in the local river the environmentalists have stopped it being harvested, like it has been for centuries.

Next that part of the river will be alternating between a stinking mud pit and a flood plain. Stage 2 it will dry up be bought by a developer who will put 2 million pound affordable houses on it.

• Sad 1

In the area I live HS2 is now in full swing. Local builder can’t get timber, concrete, sand cement or bricks as HS2 have bulk ordered everything.

Added to this the first lock down when all the builders merchants were shut when they re-opened everything in stock was bought and they could not restock as the basic suppliers, quarries etc were shut down and struggling rotor restart.
My mate is a builder and we are trying to arrange for him to build an extension, but he is so behind due to late and missed deliveries don’t know when it will happen.

2 hours ago, Bender said:

I'm confused as to how brexit is to blame 

https://www.dezeen.com/2021/06/07/french-architects-wood-shortage-prices-up-lina-ghotmeh/

Every country is facing the same problem, unfortunately there are people who like to blame everything on brexit, non of the suppliers I use have blamed brexit, I guess its just an easy thing to blame. 

You're right, it's probably just a convenient excuse 

I blame Cameron. And Brexit and car drivers and petrol companies and Covid and I'm really quite unforgiving when it comes to the choice between Red and Brown sauce on a bacon sandwich.

you would think old age and riding a Honda would make me more forgiving....

• Like 2

On 11/06/2021 at 05:09, Marino said:

Brexit is going to cost a lot at least first few years until Britain don’t start own production, if it start ever

Not necessarily.  As you should know there's a bloody big world which isn't the EU and long distance shipping is pretty cheap if you are shipping tonnes of stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Not necessarily.  As you should know there's a bloody big world which isn't the EU and long distance shipping is pretty cheap if you are shipping tonnes of stuff.

If you could smuggle us a couple of bushel of wood and a flock of sheep it would be a start 😂 

• Haha 1

We got our decking renewed, which cost £300 more than expected due to the shortage of wood products in general.

The last pandemic and the Spanish Flu in 1918-20 was followed by a boom time and the roaring Twenties. History is repeating itself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Throttled said:

We got our decking renewed, which cost £300 more than expected due to the shortage of wood products in general.

The last pandemic and the Spanish Flu in 1918-20 was followed by a boom time and the roaring Twenties. History is repeating itself.

I could cope with a repeat of the roaring twenties, not so sure my left hip would agree but I'm willing to give it a damn good go 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bender said:

I could cope with a repeat of the roaring twenties, not so sure my left hip would agree but I'm willing to give it a damn good go 😂 

:damn: that means by the time we hit the 60's again and some free love I will have croaked it :lol:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Throttled said:

And that decade ended with the Wall St crash of 1929

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

And that decade ended with the Wall St crash of 1929

I've been through 2 economic crashes, I know I can live on potatoes, so as long as we don't have a potato famine and a crash and we don't run out of pasta I'm good to go. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

I've been through 2 economic crashes, I know I can live on potatoes, so as long as we don't have a potato famine and a crash and we don't run out of pasta I'm good to go. 

you will be well starched up 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Bet there was no fancy foods back then either...........

• Haha 1

A lot of it has to do with current shipping rates (mainly due to COVID).

currently Chinese ports are struggling with with staffing due to infection rates, plus extortionate rates of containers. Previously a 20ft container would be priced at 900usd, but current valuations are being set upwards of 15000usd. If you aren’t prepared to pay the fees then you get bumped off the manifest (regardless of relationship longevity between business and carriers).

It is something that is having major consequences across a number of industries. 

I work with food retailers, manufacturers and wholesalers- they are all reporting the same thing.

On 12/06/2021 at 16:14, S-Westerly said:

Unfortunately it takes years to start and run smoothly big business. One with Eu was perfected for  40 years.

it will take some time and casualty