Benefit of electric vehicles

Davidtav

15 hours ago, Davidtav said:

It crossed my mind today that one benefit of having more electric vehicles on the road will be that diesel spills will become a thing of the past. 

Boy, are you ever looking for the silver lining! I suspect the diesel will be around for a bit - can you imagine the size of the battery bank needed to keep a 20 t wagon on the road? Probably weigh 5 t all on its own.

7 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Boy, are you ever looking for the silver lining! I suspect the diesel will be around for a bit - can you imagine the size of the battery bank needed to keep a 20 t wagon on the road? Probably weigh 5 t all on its own.

You should read a bit more before talking about things you have no idea what they are... 🙄

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/semi

• Like 1

One of the biggest advantages I can see is that I could cane it everywhere and not give a shit about fuel cost.

Do you remember when fuel was cheap? I didn't care that my car did sub 20 mpg because it cost so little to fill it up. Nowadays a tank is about £90 which is a bit much to rag it everywhere.

Roll on the leccy - more money for tyres. :-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, husoi said:

You should read a bit more before talking about things you have no idea what they are... 🙄

I believe the semi has been pushed back until they can make enough of there own batteries. It will be interesting to see how haulage copes with recharge planning, 500m range in the UK is OK but in USA its hardly going to get you out of the state your in

Every model in Tesla have been pushed back at least once.

Doesn't mean that it isn't already there.

Someone compared EV's with internet. Back in 98 I would be happy to wait 5min for a photo to load when my modem speed was 9.4kb (or something like that) Now we get upset if speeds go below 30mb and start insulting everybody because broadband is rubbish.

EV's started with the G-wiz that would go less than 40 miles at 40mph and would take half day to charge the massive batteries.

Give it time and we will get there.

Keep in mind, not that long ago scientists believed that humans could not travel faster than a horse's top speed and women would travel backwards on a train because their bodies couldn't cope with the astonishing speed of 40mph :) 

• Like 1

Don't forget truckies are restricted to how many hours they can drive in any period, 9 or 10 hrs in the UK and 11 in the USA ,here they also have to stop after 4.5 hrs for 45 mins so could top up and easily achieve 500 mile range or slightly more in their allotted time driving

Edited by Bianco2564
Correction
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

Every model in Tesla have been pushed back at least once.

Doesn't mean that it isn't already there.

Someone compared EV's with internet. Back in 98 I would be happy to wait 5min for a photo to load when my modem speed was 9.4kb (or something like that) Now we get upset if speeds go below 30mb and start insulting everybody because broadband is rubbish.

EV's started with the G-wiz that would go less than 40 miles at 40mph and would take half day to charge the massive batteries.

Give it time and we will get there.

Keep in mind, not that long ago scientists believed that humans could not travel faster than a horse's top speed and women would travel backwards on a train because their bodies couldn't cope with the astonishing speed of 40mph :) 

Ev started way before the geewiz, 1832, Mercedes were big into them early on, the uptake of electric has been woeful going off that 😂 

The semi is pushed back specifically because of cost and number of battlers required. 

25 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Don't forget truckies are restricted to how many hours they can drive in any period, 9 or 10 hrs in the UK and 11 in the USA ,here they also have to stop after 4.5 hrs for 45 mins so could top up and easily achieve 500 mile range or slightly more in their allotted time driving

While this is true the actual trucks aren't restricted to time on the road. There is a lot of place that share trucks so as one is getting out to finish another is getting in to start his shift. 

Its the same with buses some of them can be out for up to 17 hours a day :shock: 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

While this is true the actual trucks aren't restricted to time on the road. There is a lot of place that share trucks so as one is getting out to finish another is getting in to start his shift. 

Its the same with buses some of them can be out for up to 17 hours a day :shock: 

Very true,  using TNT as an example,  tractor units that were used for the night time trunk runs were also used during the day for hub and depot deliveries.

• Like 1

Aslong as the truck always has enough battery range for 4.5 hrs driving it could work?

York already has a fleet of electric buses that can last the whole day on an overnight charge it says, we went on one of the older single decker ones when we visited the city a couple of years ago, very quiet, smooth and surprisingly swift for a bus.

https://airqualitynews.com/2019/03/27/york-to-get-21-new-electric-buses/

9 hours ago, husoi said:

I quite happily admit to complete ignorance about huge trucks being electrically powered. I'm not holding my breath though for the day they all become they another few billion in Elon Musk's pockets.

And I still would like to know when/ where all the infrastructure for all this charging of EV vehicles is going to magically appear. I'm not particularly Luddite about this but I am a bit of a sceptic and not particularly convinced that EV is the only way forward.

Edited by S-Westerly

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

And I still would like to know when/ where all the infrastructure for all this charging of EV vehicles is going to magically appear. I'm not particularly Luddite about this but I am a bit of a sceptic and not particularly convinced that EV is the only way forward.

We've got the majority of infrastructure in place already and just about enough electricity generation capacity for us to all switch to EV cars now.

Unfortunately we're decommissioning some of our older power plant so generating capacity is shrinking - we'll need a few more nukes to keep us afloat in the future as "green" electricity just ain't gonna cut the shit for a good while yet.

The conclusion of my dissertation (which was on this stuff) was that we need a cheap and simple aftermarket unit we can strap to cars to capture the energy wasted is braking and exhaust heat to tide us over until someone comes up with a good long term solution.

6 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

We've got the majority of infrastructure in place already and just about enough electricity generation capacity for us to all switch to EV cars now.

Unfortunately we're decommissioning some of our older power plant so generating capacity is shrinking - we'll need a few more nukes to keep us afloat in the future as "green" electricity just ain't gonna cut the shit for a good while yet.

The conclusion of my dissertation (which was on this stuff) was that we need a cheap and simple aftermarket unit we can strap to cars to capture the energy wasted is braking and exhaust heat to tide us over until someone comes up with a good long term solution.

I'm not so concerned about power generation its more the how each vehicle owner is going to be physically able to charge their vehicle. Given there's probably thousands of households with street side parking only where / how are they going to re-charge?

Just now, S-Westerly said:

I'm not so concerned about power generation its more the how each vehicle owner is going to be physically able to charge their vehicle. Given there's probably thousands of households with street side parking only where / how are they going to re-charge?

I've read that charging points are going to be built in to street furniture. 

I can't really see that working in high density housing though.

• Like 1

Given the time frame we are supposed to be looking at I'm not seeing much urgency about this. Where I live virtually the only street furniture with power to it is street lamps of which there are maybe 4 over a mile. Bloody long cables needed and the light fingered among us are going to be making a fortune nicking cables.

There are on London and expanding schemes to have chargers installed in street light posts.

The newest tech is to have wireless chargers where you just stop the car over the charging pad and it will start charging.

Last year gov set a £37m to develop wireless charging aimed to public transports and private use.

There are also retractable chargers that will hide on the sidewalk. Once a EV parks next to it the driver can activate the charger and plug the car.

• Thanks 1

Still not buying one though. My wife nearly did, put a deposit down on Tesla Model 3 having fallen for their very slick advertising.  When after 2 years they still couldn't give a delivery date and the price had gone up considerably to the original  non-binding price she cancelled it and bought a Lexus instead. Nothing to do with me as I don't have a car as I don't need one.

Edited by S-Westerly