Tyre Changing Questions

slanty

Hi All,

I have some complete novice questions about changing tyres...

Does the team "bead breaking" just mean getting the bead out of the grove in the wheel or does it actually mean the wire(s) in the bead of the tyre get broken?

The reason I ask is I want to put off-road tyres on my bike for an off-road weekend but the tyres on it at the moment are still good and I would like to be able to use them again after the off-road weekend.

I know this is a really dumb question but I couldn't find anything on the internet to clarify it.

Cheers,

Slanty

Cheers parapanfan...

I rang this place and the guy was really helpful and friendly... top bloke! :D

The guy explained that "breaking the bead" is simply removing the bead of the tyre from the lip or grove in the wheel. He also said that if done carefully it should do no damage to the tyres and they can be refitted.

He also mentioned that it can be more difficult to break the bead on tubeless tyres as they have a more robust seal and sometimes a machine is required to do it safely.

Cheers,

Slanty

hope you have a vice attached to a bench as you will need it

if not then take them to a shop to be done plus if they damage them they have to replace :)

i fit my own tyres and it is a right pain to do you will not breack the bead without a vice if you try you will probably damage the rim :?

Stu

Thanks Stu, I've heard the rear tyre on the AT can be difficult when trying to the bead.

After looking around the net it seems that a 6" G clamp with a small strip of wood or plastic can be used to break the bead so I'm going to try that. I'll post up next week to let you know how I get on...

Thanks Stu, I've heard the rear tyre on the AT can be difficult when trying to the bead.

After looking around the net it seems that a 6" G clamp with a small strip of wood or plastic can be used to break the bead so I'm going to try that. I'll post up next week to let you know how I get on...

good luck you will need it :?

i find it pretty hard with a vice at times

get as close to the rim as possible it makes it easier :thumb:

Cheers Stu...

I meant to say earlier the reason that I'm looking into the G clamp solution rather than vice is that I'm looking for something that I can use if I need fix a tyre on the road. I reckon a G clamp would be easy to carry on the bike..

The bench and vice approach sounds like the best option for the garage though... :D

get as close to the rim as possible it makes it easier :thumb:

The method I saw was to put the clamp between the spokes and over the rim onto the tyre... hopefully it will work