Touring Abroad

Pie man

well there you go then.. everything is tickety boo. which probably explains why the Tunnel trains are empty.

12 minutes ago, tempmoto8 said:

Quoting the UK Gov website https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Travellers who are fully vaccinated do not need an essential reason to travel to France and do not need to self-isolate on arrival. Fully vaccinated travellers will need to present the following documents:

• ... evidence of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure, or a negative antigen test result taken within 48 hours of departure

• a completed ‘sworn statement’ .... This can be found on the French government’s website

• proof of vaccination status

Vaccination status

...“Fully vaccinated” is defined by the completion of a vaccination schedule, specifically:

• 2 weeks after the second dose of Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • 4 weeks after the single and only dose of Johnson & Johnson
  • 2 weeks after the single dose of any of the above vaccines if you have previously tested positive for COVID-19

Ok.. so I misread the French embassy advice.

still.. as of now on return its a 10 day self isolation and 2 PCR tests. I can't afford that extra time in addition to a 7 day holiday. its just not worth it. And from what Ive seen.. not many people can. 2 retirees I know of crossed a few days ago and the train was virtually empty of cars and Bikes..   as it happens there was double the number of bikes to when I crossed last September. And there was little difficulty then... none in fact. aside from having to ride non-stop to Luxembourg as both France and Belgium were 'forbidden'.

Was the most bizarre experience ever at the tunnel.  me and <20 cars. there were 5 empty carriages between me and the last car.

IMG_0238.jpg

2 hours ago, tempmoto8 said:

I'm planning my motorbike trip across Europe as well in the next few weeks. My plan is to transit by France for 3 or 4 days.

When you arrived in France, did they ask you your reason for travel and if you were staying or transiting? According to the website, the transit time is just 24h, but I guess if you have the negative test + vaccine you can stay there without quarantine.

You cannot stay in France  coming from uk, only transit is allowed and corfu is overnight. I didn’t go trough France, but strait to Belgium and Germany . However who will control how long you where there. I did not encounter any borders and checks except uk to France 

2 hours ago, tempmoto8 said:

Quoting the UK Gov website https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Travellers who are fully vaccinated do not need an essential reason to travel to France and do not need to self-isolate on arrival. Fully vaccinated travellers will need to present the following documents:

• ... evidence of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure, or a negative antigen test result taken within 48 hours of departure

• a completed ‘sworn statement’ .... This can be found on the French government’s website

• proof of vaccination status

Vaccination status

...“Fully vaccinated” is defined by the completion of a vaccination schedule, specifically:

• 2 weeks after the second dose of Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • 4 weeks after the single and only dose of Johnson & Johnson
  • 2 weeks after the single dose of any of the above vaccines if you have previously tested positive for COVID-19

👍👍👍that’s new since last week when I crossed, good progress

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

well there you go then.. everything is tickety boo. which probably explains why the Tunnel trains are empty.

Ok.. so I misread the French embassy advice.

still.. as of now on return its a 10 day self isolation and 2 PCR tests. I can't afford that extra time in addition to a 7 day holiday. its just not worth it. And from what Ive seen.. not many people can. 2 retirees I know of crossed a few days ago and the train was virtually empty of cars and Bikes..   as it happens there was double the number of bikes to when I crossed last September. And there was little difficulty then... none in fact. aside from having to ride non-stop to Luxembourg as both France and Belgium were 'forbidden'.

Was the most bizarre experience ever at the tunnel.  me and <20 cars. there were 5 empty carriages between me and the last car.

IMG_0238.jpg

This is truth, I was alone in carriage last year and this year

3 hours ago, husoi said:

Considering that travelling conditions are more volatile than stock markets I'm definitely postponing any trip abroad to 2022.

Rather shorter trips within UK and save the dosh for next year.

Imagine what I can do with all the money to be spent in tests and all that crap.

I just wonder if you spend 1 week alone on your bike if that counts as self-isolation... 🤔

If your sat on it in your garage I don't see why not 😂 

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

If your sat on it in your garage I don't see why not 😂 

:P I meant while travelling abroad.. 😋

7 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I needed a PCR test within 72 hours of my travel date to go to the USA in April.  As I was flying over the weekend I had to get it on the Thursday to ensure I had the result by the Saturday. It cost £215. (Company paid). At check in they took it seriously.  A guy ahead of me had one 74 hours old. No flying for him!

I don't begrudge paying for the test's if that what is required, what I don't like is the vast difference in cost between operators and companies. £215 for you to travel to America - £57 for Eurotunnel crossing, yet my Eurocamp booking offer is only £13 for the test.  

We were due to go to Hungary and Austria mid July. Last time I looked neither countries were allowing non nationals in. Then at the weekend we were advised that holiday is cancelled. That’s twice now. Third time lucky? Now booked for next May. 🤞

25 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I don't begrudge paying for the test's if that what is required, what I don't like is the vast difference in cost between operators and companies. £215 for you to travel to America - £57 for Eurotunnel crossing, yet my Eurocamp booking offer is only £13 for the test.  

As everything else, somewhere is cheaper somewhere expensive. You have to surf a lot to get best deals. I got for 60£ fit to fly, even do I traveled by road, and on return I booked two tests for 140£ 

2 minutes ago, Marino said:

As everything else, somewhere is cheaper somewhere expensive. You have to surf a lot to get best deals. I got for 60£ fit to fly, even do I traveled by road, and on return I booked two tests for 140£ 

Do you have to have a test 72hrs prior to your return to the UK  

45 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Do you have to have a test 72hrs prior to your return to the UK  

Yes so far, it is still required, as well 10 days quarantine and two tests day 2 and 8

Macron changed their rules only very recently to proof of completed vaccines and no need to quarantine. Spain doesnt seem to mind.. come on in the waters fine… with a few exceptions including coming in from an at risk country and travelling overland from France to Spain so if your planning to ride to Spain through France you’ll need to do a Covid test or prove your fully vaccinated… then come on in the waters fine 😂

On return there is an additional ‘Test to Release’ system in place where you can pay for an extra test on day 5 on top of day 2 and day 8 and if its negative you no longer have to quarantine. Oddly enough even though a negative day 5 test will see your quarantine end you still have to do the scheduled test on day 8 anyway, go figure!

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

Are You Sure GIF by Monty Python

whats the point of the jabs if its not ..... the only reason it wont be all good is if the eu make things difficult , which wouldn.t surprise me.

6 hours ago, Six30 said:

whats the point of the jabs if its not ..... the only reason it wont be all good is if the eu make things difficult , which wouldn.t surprise me.

Not only Eu, 

in the uk vaccinated or not, same requirements apply. In some Eu countries if you got both jabs you get some advantage.

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That would have made me feel uneasy!

It was strange. missing the small gaggle of bikers who could barely contain their excitement beneath a veneer of blasé indifference and apparent boredom.  From boarding to riding off I only saw one person, a member of staff who hurriedly scanned my boarding ticket/hanger then scurried off. Further up the train the drivers were told to remain in their cars and toilets were locked. But, once off the train and onto the A16/E40 normality resumed. Usual amount of traffic for the day, very little, and 40 miles later, when I arrived at our usual first stop, Aire de Saint Eloi, almost normal aside from a one way system into and out of the Carrefour. They did have a sign on the door that I translated as... try entering here without a mask and we'll have you arrested!!

• Like 2