Long distance advice

jedibiker

Hi all, my partner and I are slowly building up the miles we can ride in a day and still enjoy the day etc.

I've noticed some seem comfortable doing 400-500 miles+ And when we head to Inverness we have to do about 433 miles from home which seems to be 9hours of riding.

Currently we have done around 230 and it doesn't feel too bad apart from sore knees. (no idea why)

Shes on a fazer 600 and im on a 650 bandit so both pretty relaxed rides.

Just curious if there are any tips youve picked up doing bigger trips.. I know this is nothing compared to the france/spain trips etc, but its new to us

My (old-school) 2d:

Take regular breaks, even if you don't feel you need it. 

Keep dry, don't get cold.

A decent screen can make a long ride a lot more comfortable.

I don't get bum-ache (well only after a full day on the DRZ), but if you do, you can improve the seat, or get half a dead sheep to throw over it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bonio said:

My (old-school) 2d:

Take regular breaks, even if you don't feel you need it. 

Keep dry, don't get cold.

A decent screen can make a long ride a lot more comfortable.

I don't get bum-ache (well only after a full day on the DRZ), but if you do, you can improve the seat, or get half a dead sheep to throw over it.

I noticed on the last ride we didnt drink as much as we should and did stop regular. Was really tired that night and only done 200 miles. it was hot though.

I don't get a numb bum as such, but was curious about the gel seats etc but the reviews were rubbish. the fluffy sheep things look comfy, do they flatten or stay comfy.?

Last long trip I had was from Fife down to Cornwall.

Stopped every 100(ish) miles although the bike can do 250 on one tank.

When back in 2019 I went to Portugal the plan was a break every 150 miles but ended up at 75-100 mostly because then I didn't had the gel pads fitted.

Last trip on the shadow was 150 miles and one long stop for lunch and a short one for fuel.

The longest I made on either bike was 200 miles on the ST1300 and 100 on the shadow.

Note that the shadow's seats are in very bad condition and uncomfortable (refurbishing them this week).

The worst thing about a long continuous ride is the sore numb bottom :thumb: 

Forgot to mention..

I have gel pads and can't say a bad thing about them.

Edited by husoi

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

Last long trip I had was from Fife down to Cornwall.

Stopped every 100(ish) miles although the bike can do 250 on one tank.

When back in 2019 I went to Portugal the plan was a break every 150 miles but ended up at 75-100 mostly because then I didn't had the gel pads fitted.

Last trip on the shadow was 150 miles and one long stop for lunch and a short one for fuel.

The longest I made on either bike was 200 miles on the ST1300 and 100 on the shadow.

Note that the shadow's seats are in very bad condition and uncomfortable (refurbishing them this week).

The worst thing about a long continuous ride is the sore numb bottom :thumb: 

Forgot to mention..

I have gel pads and can't say a bad thing about them.

thats some riding there.. wow. although when coming back from St Abbs we did about 80 miles or so before a stop but we did loads of motorway to save time. and it was boring as hell.

Are yours gel seats or covers?

27 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

thats some riding there.. wow. although when coming back from St Abbs we did about 80 miles or so before a stop but we did loads of motorway to save time. and it was boring as hell.

Are yours gel seats or covers?

Incorporated gel pads

front seat 4.jpg

rear seat 8.jpg

4 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Looks a much better way to do it

The whole process is, remove the cover, cut the foam to place the gel, them 1 layer of 2cm memory foam, 1 layer of plastic film (I use thick plastic bags) then refit the cover.

The purpose of the foam is just so you won't notice the transition between the gel and the original foam.

The plastic film is to keep water out :thumb: 

• Like 1

Why such high mileage desire in one stint ? 

By yourself yes it can be enjoyed and on trunk roads and mways you can cover that distance 

With another rider you cannot micromanage the journey as needs differ.

Give yourself more time to get to & fro  otherwise when you get to your destination you will be too knackered and unmotivated to go out on bike and need to recuperate loosing time  which could have been used to enjoy the travelling more .

After 300 miles over country roads your concentration wains and it becomes a desire to get to your destination .

16 minutes ago, TimR said:

Why such high mileage desire in one stint ? 

By yourself yes it can be enjoyed and on trunk roads and mways you can cover that distance 

With another rider you cannot micromanage the journey as needs differ.

Give yourself more time to get to & fro  otherwise when you get to your destination you will be too knackered and unmotivated to go out on bike and need to recuperate loosing time  which could have been used to enjoy the travelling more .

After 300 miles over country roads your concentration wains and it becomes a desire to get to your destination .

Were doing the nc500 for our honeymoon in May, originally was going to stay half way but the Mrs feels more confident doing longer trips. But its still a big lump. The aim is to get there and sleep, get up and go up the east coast.

Normally wouldnt aim for such a big ride in one go/

Doncaster to Edinburgh is just under 250 miles and just over 350 to Aberdeen.

Leaving early is perfectly feasible in one day.

• Like 1

When we go to Germany, to the Eifel. The entire ride is (for me) 475 miles. door to door. and as this is the start of a 5 day riding holiday it needs careful planning. There is no point starting and arriving at the Hotel so tired you cant face riding the next day. Or begin the first proper day still tired. Tiredness must be avoided at all costs!!

I manage this to be as stress free and relaxed as possible. the ride is split over two days and over a weekend so the roads tend to be a little quieter with no commuter traffic.

Saturday starts just after  mid-day. leaving my home about 12:30 for a 200 mile ride down to Ashford in Kent. I usually split this into 3 legs.. first stop a relatively short 15minute. second stop 30/45 minutes... a little bit of walking (to the loo) a coffee, bite to eat and a natter. 3rd stop.. is again just a 15 minute... usually arriving around 6-7pm This first ride can be a bit quicker as the first overnight stop is at a premier inn and usually also involves a meal at the beefeater (table booked for 8pm) and a couple of pints. Head for bed about 11.

Next morning up at around 6... shower, get bikes loaded up and then off to breakfast.

For our 250+ mile ride across, France, Belgium and Luxembourg... the longest stretch of continuous riding is 65 miles. and that leg ends with a 1 hour lunch break. All other parts of the ride are 40 miles long, with quick stops.. usually 15 minutes each time. not including topping up fuel tanks. Some times these are at services. sometimes just a random layby. or somewhere that offers a nice view, or a handy bush to dash behind for a pee. always carry drinks.. at least water, but something isotonic is much better. dress to be warm and dry.. but if its warmer.. then remove layers. (this is important) first hint of rain.. add waterproofs. (this is VERY important.) have spare gloves. just in case. you dont want hot sweaty hands.. or cold hands.

I generally aim  to arrive at the hotel about 6pm.. and then allow an hour or so to unload bikes. have a shower, change and then go for an evening meal.

While we are there. at our destination. the daily plan is up at 7:30. shower, then off to the restaurant for breakfast and dawdle over that for up to an hour. then back to rooms,  into bike gear and be setting off between 9 and 9:30.  by which time (as its a normal working week) we will have missed all the morning traffic.

As for the bike seats. I find it very telling that none of the aftermarket seat makers.. the quality ones that 'cost' - none of them use gel. or memory foam. what they do use is a much higher quality foam than the OEM use. add to that a little tweak in design and then a quality cover and boom. done.

For many years i used a sheepskin as a cover for distant riding. But.. no longer, as I now have a "Sargent" seat on the current bike and that needs nothing extra.. obviously the seat doesnt have any gel in it at all.

The sheepskin i used was one of these.. black. long haired. machine washable at the end of the tour. getting rained on has no bad effect, no does it flatten. its a cheap answer to a painful question. i sewed elastic straps to it so it was held in place on the bike.  https://www.lambland.co.uk/product/genuine-half-sheepskin-seat-pad/

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Doncaster to Edinburgh is just under 250 miles and just over 350 to Aberdeen.

Leaving early is perfectly feasible in one day.

Our address to Inverness is 433 miles. Google reckons 7.45hrs of riding.

16 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

When we go to Germany, to the Eifel. The entire ride is (for me) 475 miles. door to door. and as this is the start of a 5 day riding holiday it needs careful planning. There is no point starting and arriving at the Hotel so tired you cant face riding the next day. Or begin the first proper day still tired. Tiredness must be avoided at all costs!!

I manage this to be as stress free and relaxed as possible. the ride is split over two days and over a weekend so the roads tend to be a little quieter with no commuter traffic.

Saturday starts just after  mid-day. leaving my home about 12:30 for a 200 mile ride down to Ashford in Kent. I usually split this into 3 legs.. first stop a relatively short 15minute. second stop 30/45 minutes... a little bit of walking (to the loo) a coffee, bite to eat and a natter. 3rd stop.. is again just a 15 minute... usually arriving around 6-7pm This first ride can be a bit quicker as the first overnight stop is at a premier inn and usually also involves a meal at the beefeater (table booked for 8pm) and a couple of pints. Head for bed about 11.

Next morning up at around 6... shower, get bikes loaded up and then off to breakfast.

For our 250+ mile ride across, France, Belgium and Luxembourg... the longest stretch of continuous riding is 65 miles. and that leg ends with a 1 hour lunch break. All other parts of the ride are 40 miles long, with quick stops.. usually 15 minutes each time. not including topping up fuel tanks. Some times these are at services. sometimes just a random layby. or somewhere that offers a nice view, or a handy bush to dash behind for a pee. always carry drinks.. at least water, but something isotonic is much better. dress to be warm and dry.. but if its warmer.. then remove layers. (this is important) first hint of rain.. add waterproofs. (this is VERY important.) have spare gloves. just in case. you dont want hot sweaty hands.. or cold hands.

I generally aim  to arrive at the hotel about 6pm.. and then allow an hour or so to unload bikes. have a shower, change and then go for an evening meal.

While we are there. at our destination. the daily plan is up at 7:30. shower, then off to the restaurant for breakfast and dawdle over that for up to an hour. then back to rooms,  into bike gear and be setting off between 9 and 9:30.  by which time (as its a normal working week) we will have missed all the morning traffic.

As for the bike seats. I find it very telling that none of the aftermarket seat makers.. the quality ones that 'cost' - none of them use gel. or memory foam. what they do use is a much higher quality foam than the OEM use. add to that a little tweak in design and then a quality cover and boom. done.

For many years i used a sheepskin as a cover for distant riding. But.. no longer, as I now have a "Sargent" seat on the current bike and that needs nothing extra.. obviously the seat doesnt have any gel in it at all.

The sheepskin i used was one of these.. black. long haired. machine washable at the end of the tour. getting rained on has no bad effect, no does it flatten. its a cheap answer to a painful question. i sewed elastic straps to it so it was held in place on the bike.  https://www.lambland.co.uk/product/genuine-half-sheepskin-seat-pad/

Great info thankyou. For the 433 miles we were thinking of setting off early morning around 3am ish and allow 12-14 hours to do the 8hours of riding. so we can get plenty of rest and stop when needed. But looking at your plan it may be too much.

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

Great info thankyou. For the 433 miles we were thinking of setting off early morning around 3am ish and allow 12-14 hours to do the 8hours of riding. so we can get plenty of rest and stop when needed. But looking at your plan it may be too much.

It is too much, did that kind of distance once, when we went to the Black Forest. and then we used French Toll motorways which are practically deserted compared to here.  never again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Were doing the nc500 for our honeymoon in May, originally was going to stay half way but the Mrs feels more confident doing longer trips. But its still a big lump. The aim is to get there and sleep, get up and go up the east coast.

Normally wouldnt aim for such a big ride in one go/

Remember the trip home as well and that is after x days riding 

Starting at 3am is madness .   You are starting in the dark and this increases fatigue and raises the risk of animals on the road network.plus the amount of overnight roadworks and diversions can increase the traffic on rural routes and your route distance as well as your planning .

Look to leave at 6am-7am and plan your first stop to avoid peak traffic 

Then you can have elevenses and lunch at 'normal' times and this may correspond with fuel requirements .

Myself have covered over 800 miles in one day ... Would i attempt that with a companion .No 

Will i do it again .... Yes i aim to undertake Saddlesore but that is again on my own and it is that specific reason of 1000miles in 24hrs that i am riding ... Its definitely not what is meant to be a relaxing holiday especially for a honeymoon.

And remember May is still in Winter hours 

(Ie before the longest day not clock based ) 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

To get home from the place we stay at in Germany is 450 miles for me, 25 miles of these are taken care of by the Tunnel, so 425 miles of riding, mainly on motorways or dual carriageways. It's a bit brutal, fine for a last day blast to get home, but too knackering to make it the first day of a riding holiday. But perhaps you're young and feisty and can take it in your stride :lol:

5 minutes ago, TimR said:

Remember the trip home as well and that is after x days riding 

Starting at 3am is madness .   You are starting in the dark and this increases fatigue and raises the risk of animals on the road network.plus the amount of overnight roadworks and diversions can increase the traffic on rural routes and your route distance as well as your planning .

Look to leave at 6am-7am and plan your first stop to avoid peak traffic 

Then you can have elevenses and lunch at 'normal' times and this may correspond with fuel requirements .

Myself have covered over 800 miles in one day ... Would i attempt that with a companion .No 

Will i do it again .... Yes i aim to undertake Saddlesore but that is again on my own and it is that specific reason of 1000miles in 24hrs that i am riding ... Its definitely not what is meant to be a relaxing holiday especially for a honeymoon.

And remember May is still in Winter hours 

(Ie before the longest day not clock based ) 

Yeah your right, just looking at halfway stop offs so we can do it a little more relaxed. But on the way home we may just go at it bit by bit. we have a couple of days off once home.

@bonio Not so young anymore but capable if needed. But really do think a stop off on the way is a good idea, so we can enjoy it all. on the way home just take our time, loads of coffee lol

• Like 1

I'm off to Belfast next Sunday from Rotherham ... nothing special, 260 miles ... I allow a 40mph average speed, mustn’t miss the ferry, and will stop at Scotch Corner for  a coffee and a pee and at Penrith for Full English Breakfast at the Rooster or the truck stop cafes.

I have a swimming float seat pad which is super comfortable and gives a decent seat rise ...

Aim to stop every 80 miles for a leg stretch, it’s not the “Iron Butt” event .... just enjoy the travel ..

20210524_073757.jpg

MTiNDC+nRi67rsQiF%2s9Q.jpg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I'm off to Belfast next Sunday from Rotherham ... nothing special, 260 miles ... I allow a 40mph average speed, mustn’t miss the ferry, and will stop at Scotch Corner for  a coffee and a pee and at Penrith for Full English Breakfast at the Rooster or the truck stop cafes.

I have a swimming float seat pad which is super comfortable and gives a decent seat rise ...

Aim to stop every 80 miles for a leg stretch, it’s not the “Iron Butt” event .... just enjoy the travel ..

20210524_073757.jpg

We have found the 200 odd rides not too bad at all. Just know anything closer to 300+ will be really tough.. have fun on yours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

We have found the 200 odd rides not too bad at all. Just know anything closer to 300+ will be really tough.. have fun on yours

I do monthly rides to Bristol, Salisbury, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh etc, for work, on my 27 BHP Himalayan

Those that go on about 400 - 500 mile rides ...... where are they getting the fuel from ... or they doing 3 - 4 150 mile rides, with fuel stops, leg stretches, toilet breaks, cafe visits  ... ? 

My experience is more towards the segment length rather than the total distance. 

In 2018 i cycled the LEJOG, 912 miles ( we got lost a lot) ... in 14 segments .. or night stops on campsites, near a pub, as we cyclists like to call them ...

Enjoy your adventure ...

😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I do monthly rides to Bristol, Salisbury, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh etc, for work, on my 27 BHP Himalayan

Those that go on about 400 - 500 mile rides ...... where are they getting the fuel from ... or they doing 3 - 4 150 mile rides, with fuel stops, leg stretches, toilet breaks, cafe visits  ... ? 

My experience is more towards the segment length rather than the total distance. 

In 2018 i cycled the LEJOG, 912 miles ( we got lost a lot) ... in 14 segments .. or night stops on campsites, near a pub, as we cyclists like to call them ...

Enjoy your adventure ...

😀

Yup segments is the way to go, we're old we even do it with the car now 😂, mind you it's a juke and is as comfortable as a slate board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The most I have done in one go when touring was 320 miles! 

We woke up to pissing rain in Germany so headed to Poland we did a few stops but It was too much! we was shattered and well past it by the time we got to the next hotel! 

250 miles a day is enough for me and thats only if we have somewhere to get to 

150 max on sight seeing rides and general exploring 

It gets to a point where its no longer enjoyable and concentration levels drop! 

• Like 2