Happiest day of my life - what a load off.....

onesea

Some day the happiest day off your life is the day you buy your boat and the day you sell her...

What a load of crap, I am sad I have lost a friend I have had for near a decade...  First day I owned her she nearly killed me, she has soaked roasted me frozen me. 

She has reduced my partner to tears and put the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen...

Now I am just miserable...

There is a pin pick of light on the horizon but it seems so far away...

Next weekend.....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, onesea said:

Some day the happiest day off your life is the day you buy your boat and the day you sell her...

What a load of crap, I am sad I have lost a friend I have had for near a decade...  First day I owned her she nearly killed me, she has soaked roasted me frozen me. 

She has reduced my partner to tears and put the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen...

Now I am just miserable...

There is a pin pick of light on the horizon but it seems so far away...

Next weekend.....

Been there and done that. Sold my 35 footer 5 years ago and still miss her. Had so much fun but circumstances changed and we just couldn't use her enough to justify the costs. Planned to rent one for a couple of weeks each summer if I was home but then Covid arrived. 

I've just sold one of our dinghies as we're just not sailing it enough. I race the Laser weekly though, it's a young man's boat but I'm still getting good results in it. I just ache more the day after these days. 

We're taking a look at getting a couple of SUPs for windless days.

Some years ago my good lady and I did our RYA Level 2, and I went on to get my Competent Crew cert with the thought that we might buy something to potter around the East Anglian coast on. We never could quite justify the cost for the time we would spend actually sailing.

I still quite fancy owning a dinghy, but I’d end up sailing on my own which is less enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've just sold one of our dinghies as we're just not sailing it enough. I race the Laser weekly though, it's a young man's boat but I'm still getting good results in it. I just ache more the day after these days. 

We're taking a look at getting a couple of SUPs for windless days.

Love the SUP. 

Use them mainly now in the north sea. But would suggest learning on a nice calm lake.

Another case of getting what you pay for I'm afraid tho.

15 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Another case of getting what you pay for I'm afraid tho.

That's what we've been told. Our sailing club has linked with the local SUP club and they've recommended a board from Decathlon - they used them a lot and have found them very good, in the £400 region.

10 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That's what we've been told. Our sailing club has linked with the local SUP club and they've recommended a board from Decathlon - they used them a lot and have found them very good, in the £400 region.

Our decent one is a RED.

Picked it up second hand for around 300.

Look around for second hand stuff.

They are a bit of a crisis buy.

People spend daft money on them, realise they can't do it or give up trying and then sell them on.

Or like surf boards. Buy them and shit it....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilM said:

Our decent one is a RED.

Picked it up second hand for around 300.

Look around for second hand stuff.

They are a bit of a crisis buy.

People spend daft money on them, realise they can't do it or give up trying and then sell them on.

Or like surf boards. Buy them and shit it....

I've kept an eye on second hand SUPs but so far nothing near me. 

17 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've kept an eye on second hand SUPs but so far nothing near me. 

If you're on face book.

SUP buy and sell. Decent group with plenty of listings.

16 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The guy at our club has recommended a 11 foot board 34 inches width as a good starter board. I'm not looking to get to be fast on one, just exploring the local lakes and rivers. 

Yes.

To start with I'd agree the more stable the better.

I'll keep a look out if you like?

Not promising owt but if I see anything I can give you a shout.

I'd give it a try out first tho before splashing out. Either try to borrow one or go and pay for a session somewhere. 

I don't  know if you're from a surf background but it's a bit of a niche thing. Some love it. Some don't get it at all. Hence the cheaper used (hardly used...lol)

30 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Yes.

To start with I'd agree the more stable the better.

I'll keep a look out if you like?

Not promising owt but if I see anything I can give you a shout.

I'd give it a try out first tho before splashing out. Either try to borrow one or go and pay for a session somewhere. 

I don't  know if you're from a surf background but it's a bit of a niche thing. Some love it. Some don't get it at all. Hence the cheaper used (hardly used...lol)

Thanks. I'm having a go at our club when I get time. I often stand up in the Laser when my legs get tired so I'm pretty sure balance won't be an issue. In light winds it's actually a faster way to sail as it's easier to get the hull balanced in the water by small shifts of weight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Thanks. I'm having a go at our club when I get time. I often stand up in the Laser when my legs get tired so I'm pretty sure balance won't be an issue. In light winds it's actually a faster way to sail as it's easier to get the hull balanced in the water by small shifts of weight.

Lost me totally....lol

Never been in a boat, bar a kayak and a ferry. 

Ohh and the pirate ship at Bridlington and that makes me sick.

• Haha 3

On 16/07/2021 at 21:25, fastbob said:

Next weekend ..... You're buying a Harley ! Woo hoo ! 

Nope i already have a Triumph…

Never tried a SUP however I have enough toys my misses tells me…
Apparently a small yacht (well soon to be), an inflatable kayak, 4 dinghies and 5th on the way is to many!
FFS I only have 2 motorbikes as well.

To many toys she says….
ok anyone want to buy a caravan…

The cost of sailing is challenging. If your prepared to do your own work, choose your boat carefully it can be cheaper than motorbikes.
If you don’t mind camping afloat it’s cheap, if you want caravan afloat it’s bloody expensive. 

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

I empathise with you. I hope you find a new boat that suits … I took a girlfriend on my boat last year. Her comment was “ your boat is like having a mistress. Gets all your attention and all your money” … she was right of course. Didn’t see the girl much after that …

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I empathise with you. I hope you find a new boat that suits … I took a girlfriend on my boat last year. Her comment was “ your boat is like having a mistress. Gets all your attention and all your money” … she was right of course. Didn’t see the girl much after that …

Good choice :thumb: 

3 hours ago, onesea said:

Nope i already have a Triumph…

Never tried a SUP however I have enough toys my misses tells me…
Apparently a small yacht (well soon to be), an inflatable kayak, 4 dinghies and 5th on the way is to many!
FFS I only have 2 motorbikes as well.

To many toys she says….
ok anyone want to buy a caravan…

The cost of sailing is challenging. If your prepared to do your own work, choose your boat carefully it can be cheaper than motorbikes.
If you don’t mind camping afloat it’s cheap, if you want caravan afloat it’s bloody expensive. 

Well...

This is typical!

since when a man have too many toys?

My mrs have a lot more shoes than I have toys 😠

Not to count the 4 wardrobes with unused clothes.

At least I play with my toys. 😋

But of course, I can't say that to her.

Again...

14 hours ago, onesea said:

True, but if I ever won a proper lotto the first thing I'd buy would be another boat, probably an Ovni 44. The chance are not high.😪