ATGATT

Stu

All The Gear All The Time if you don't know what it means! 

Whats your opinions on it all? 

With all the hot weather we have had there has been a lot of people riding around with next to nothing on except an helmet. 

This has sparked outrage on a facebook page I am on :lol: from people giving it loads about not wearing any protection and being selfish to people saying we souldn't have to wear helmets full stop! 

Whats your opinions? 

Discuss...........

Personally I don't give a 💩 what others do. I'm ATGATT. Over 35 years I have collected enough gear for most riding conditions. On days like today (commuting) I ride wearing a Revit eclipse mesh jacket, Rukka forsair gloves, bull-it jeans, spada striders, HJC helmet, Kriega rucksack. I have seen many today wearing shorts and tee shirt. 🙄

Having had an off, I wouldn't even think about just wearing shorts and a tee shirt. 

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 3

As above, I'd prefer to stay cool in stuff that will stop my skin shredding off. Can't see any good in sounding off against people who've chosen to do differently though. 

• Like 2

It’s normal and the majority. If you count all the deliveroo type riders out there on scooters and 125s, who now seem to outnumber “traditional” bikers by a large margin, especially as they are for the most part “year round”

But.. in line with that 2 photos, not particularly gory. but they do hammer home the inherent problems with not wearing gear. doesnt have to be fully armoured.. just enough to protect you in a short slide. As well as the problem with open faced helmets at speed. I do spend a lot of time with my flip 'up' but only at very low speeds when the airflow is so low as to be come uncomfortable. so under 30. or at a standstill.

Rash.jpg

106355686_3967981133272195_5600777116788021821_o.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

A few years back I was following a lad on a scooter when he clipped a kerb and came off. He was only doing about 20mph on the bend but he wasn't wearing gloves. The result convinced me to stick with appropriate riding gear whenever I'm on two wheels.

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A few years back I was following a lad on a scooter when he clipped a kerb and came off. He was only doing about 20mph on the bend but he wasn't wearing gloves. The result convinced me to stick with appropriate riding gear whenever I'm on two wheels.

Im quite blasé about others not wearing gear.. its not my skin. But gloves.. thats a whole different order of pain. I have had plastic surgery on my hand. (not due to coming off) and i would not wish that on anyone. you never recover fully and spend the rest of your life having to compensate. I cannot tolerate the cold, not even close to cold hands. The pain is excruciating. After plastic surgery your nerves rebuild.. but are kinda permanently short circuited and the blood supply to the skin is much the same. put those two together and the result is suffering. unending. localised and acute.

• Sad 1

When ever is possible protective gear, but on my last visit this June to Croatia I just abandoned all experience and reasoning. It was 35, 36 from 9 in the morning so I did ride in crocks, shorts etc, helmet only as it’s mandatory. If wasn’t I wouldn’t wear it. Talking about city rides and to the beach.

For open road motorcycle jeans, mesh jacket and gloves, mesh motorcycle half boots, open face helmet. Anything else wouldn’t be possible.

Decent bike jeans , not wore leathers for ages , light proper jacket in the summer .. no gloves and shorts is madness ,

although I must admit in Greece few years back hired a scooter and just wore shorts and t shirt , I was drunk most of the time so wouldn’t of hurt that much any way .

• Haha 2

Decent bike gear and choose the best available to me for the weather. In summer that would be jacket without liner and lots of open vents with Rokker jeans and short boots. Summer gloves. Knew a guy years ago came of a bike in Thailand wearing nowt but flip-flops and shorts. Left side of his body looked like someone has taken a blow torch to him. Was in out of hospital for a year with skin grafts etc. I can learn from others mistakes!

23 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Decent bike gear and choose the best available to me for the weather. In summer that would be jacket without liner and lots of open vents with Rokker jeans and short boots. Summer gloves. Knew a guy years ago came of a bike in Thailand wearing nowt but flip-flops and shorts. Left side of his body looked like someone has taken a blow torch to him. Was in out of hospital for a year with skin grafts etc. I can learn from others mistakes!

I never understand folk who don't learn from others mistakes, it's much easier than making your own. 

I don't get why anyone wouldn't wear gloves, I can see bare min for city riding on a scooter, most of the time you can go just as fast on a push bike where most protection is 1mm of magic lycra

• Like 1

I agree with the majority on this. The least amount of gear for me is summer gloves, Kevlar jeans and short boots. Take the liner out of the jacket and open all vents (I’m not even 100% happy with the jeans TBH). Yes, it can get very hot but the alternative is not worth considering (in my opinion).

I understand why you would want to just wear shorts and a t-shirt on a scooter abroad, but coming off at 30 can still do a whole load of damage.

I can’t remember where I heard this recently (maybe when Quartararro chucked out his chest guard in Barcelona), but if I knew when I was going to crash; I’d only wear all my gear on that ride…

I'm ATGATT all the time, every ride.  If people want to ride in shorts and T shirts,  like one guy I seen this morning sat astride his gsxr, then it doesn't bother me,  it's their decision and it's their skin at the end of the day.  I've seen enough accidents though to know that the ones who are lucky enough to be up and walking afterwards are usually those who are wearing the right gear.

As a newbie I've taken the advice on board and wear what I interpret as the right gear on my 125. I've got a flip up helmet the bloke that sold me my moped I had before the 125 threw in as part of the deal. I know secondhand helmets can be frowned upon but the guy had literally gone from one side of a barracks to the other twice in it and it fits me well. I've got a textile jacket with armour I got off eBay, I doubt it's the best but it was affordable, it has a removable liner and vents - it's probably uppermost on the list to be replaced. I've got armoured overtrousers I used in winter but have recently invested in some Roadskin Jeans which are much cooler for riding but I still take a lighter pair to change into at work. I've bought some Oxford boots which are comfortable enough to stay in through the day in all but the current hottest weather. Gloves wise I've got a pair of winter bike gloves, also off eBay, they have started to fall apart a bit though so may get better ones before next winter. I got a summer pair from a bike shop which are much better.

Being nearly 50 I grew up riding BMX's without helmets or gear and falling off then was very hurty. I've lost a bit of bounce since then so I imagine falling of a bike would be even more hurty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ttxela said:

As a newbie I've taken the advice on board and wear what I interpret as the right gear on my 125. I've got a flip up helmet the bloke that sold me my moped I had before the 125 threw in as part of the deal. I know secondhand helmets can be frowned upon but the guy had literally gone from one side of a barracks to the other twice in it and it fits me well. I've got a textile jacket with armour I got off eBay, I doubt it's the best but it was affordable, it has a removable liner and vents - it's probably uppermost on the list to be replaced. I've got armoured overtrousers I used in winter but have recently invested in some Roadskin Jeans which are much cooler for riding but I still take a lighter pair to change into at work. I've bought some Oxford boots which are comfortable enough to stay in through the day in all but the current hottest weather. Gloves wise I've got a pair of winter bike gloves, also off eBay, they have started to fall apart a bit though so may get better ones before next winter. I got a summer pair from a bike shop which are much better.

Being nearly 50 I grew up riding BMX's without helmets or gear and falling off then was very hurty. I've lost a bit of bounce since then so I imagine falling of a bike would be even more hurty.

Only word of caution is on unbranded stuff on ebay.  Amazon should be better as they have the adhere to CE regs etc I think, ebay not so much.  If it's branded it should be fine.

• Like 1

I'm very much in the ATGATT camp. You just never know when you'll need it. Yesterday I had an idiot slam his breaks in front of me for no reason. We were traveling at 30mph and he just whacked them on. I'm pleased to say ABS works. This is a route I do almost daily and have never had a real issue on. But that could have been the day the kit saved my life and limbs.

I've been wearing a mesh jacket by Merlin with Oxford back protector, bull-it jeans and merlin boots which have outlast. 

The outlast is amazing. I had it in the cold and my feet were warm and now in the heat my feet are warm but not sweating. It's a fantastic technology. And that is with 95% of my miles in central London commuter traffic. 

ATGATT for me. 

I does get bloody hot in the summer months and does get uncomfortable if you get stuck in traffic around towns/city’s, but I’d rather be hot and bothered and keep me skin. 

I think those that ride in t’s & shorts are f**king idiots, but it’s their choice and their skin. 

I do get it when it’s hitting 24+ in this country, but I’m not prepared to take the risk. 

I do sometimes wonder what information informs the decision that those wearing only tee shirts, shorts, no gloves etc. It also make me wonder about their other vital life choices. 

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

I do sometimes wonder what information informs the decision that those wearing only tee shirts, shorts, no gloves etc. It also make me wonder about their other vital life choices. 

I think there are many people out there who go through life not giving any thought whatsoever to these sorts of things.

• Like 2

I'm all the gear all the time this is due to being involved in a few crashes early on and also knowing what damage can be done if the worst happens 

When we was on the way back from Wales on Saturday it must have been one of the hottest days I have ridden in and I could have easily taken my jacket off! I was melting. 

Given the choice I probably wouldn't have bothered going out but I HAD to ride home! 

The amount of people we saw wearing shorts and flip flops was unreal but that is their choice and I leave them to it they aren't hurting me! 

A mate of mine always comments and gives it loads which I can never understand why as they will learn the hard way IF it happens 

I saw a post from someone on facebook saying you don't see people giving it loads to anyone going out drinking and destroying their liver or smoking and killing their lungs so why do people comment on what others are riding in :? 

• Like 2