ATGATT

Stu

As a health and safety professional, but also a knobhead.....

I tend to go AGATT ish.

Some of the jeans I wear may be dubious rating but on the whole I'm as safe as is possible on a bike.

• Like 2

Once rode to an MOT place in shorts, trainers, and jacket because they guy got me in as they were shutting if I made there in 10mins. The bike wasn't even fully faired either, bit of a rush so I could go out on it properly the day after. It wer lovely. 

Today I have been sweating in a tarmac playground in all black leathers. I couldn't get out of them, stuck with sweaty glue. And then when I did I could barely get back in. Ahh lovely. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Once rode to an MOT place in shorts, trainers, and jacket because they guy got me in as they were shutting if I made there in 10mins. The bike wasn't even fully faired either, bit of a rush so I could go out on it properly the day after. It wer lovely. 

Today I have been sweating in a tarmac playground in all black leathers. I couldn't get out of them, stuck with sweaty glue. And then when I did I could barely get back in. Ahh lovely. 

Remember this in Germany fella? It was the same day we went to Aachen and were dying in that shop because it was so hot.

EQzqU0K.jpg

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2021 at 20:04, rob m said:

Remember this in Germany fella? It was the same day we went to Aachen and were dying in that shop because it was so hot.

EQzqU0K.jpg

Haha yes I do! I was melting (clearly). The shop did have a massive fan though which I made good use of. At the same time I think Snod had about 5 layers on, and that was just his legs. 

• Haha 2

The YouTuber Fortnine did a great video on kit and safety with crash and injury data. If you go out with as little as possible in the heat, at least wear a helmet, boots and gloves. I do not get bikers who wear a jacket and no gloves. You will use your hands to protect yourself in a crash, you cannot help yourself, so definitely wear gloves.

• Like 1

I remember a bike instructor telling me once how one of his students fainted while stuck in town traffic during a heatwave :shock:

I still would wear more than shorts and flip flops though whatever the weather!

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I remember a bike instructor telling me once how one of his students fainted while stuck in town traffic during a heatwave :shock:

I still would wear more than shorts and flip flops though whatever the weather!

With your physique that`s probably more fair for other motorists as well !

Gloves, Jeans and denim jacket bear minimum for any kind of travel.

I shudder when I think of the miles we did in the 70`s and 80`s with jeans and jackets with no armour and sometimes we were sober or straight (although rarely both together lol).

Still got my 21st birthday present of a TT leathers jacket and yes I can still wear it on very hot days lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Sad 1

On 21/07/2021 at 18:50, Stu said:

I'm all the gear all the time this is due to being involved in a few crashes early on and also knowing what damage can be done if the worst happens 

When we was on the way back from Wales on Saturday it must have been one of the hottest days I have ridden in and I could have easily taken my jacket off! I was melting. 

Given the choice I probably wouldn't have bothered going out but I HAD to ride home! 

The amount of people we saw wearing shorts and flip flops was unreal but that is their choice and I leave them to it they aren't hurting me! 

A mate of mine always comments and gives it loads which I can never understand why as they will learn the hard way IF it happens 

I saw a post from someone on facebook saying you don't see people giving it loads to anyone going out drinking and destroying their liver or smoking and killing their lungs so why do people comment on what others are riding in :? 

yeh up to them ..... but we all think what a  c"^t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, keith1200rs said:

My riding gear in the late 1970s was an anorak, hush puppies and sheepskin gloves. Fortunately I never crashed.

How times have changed eh 

back then no one would bat an eyelid but try it now and they will look at you like you have just murdered their mother :lol: 

At the insistence of my grandmother, my father wore a helmet in the 1950s, before it made legal to have to wear one. When he took my mother out, he would gallantly let her wear his jacket, so she would not get cold. He said it felt safe at the time, because cruising speed was about 40mph and the roads were far quieter then.

In my youth riding gear was ordinary jeans and trainers with any leather jacket we could afford :scratch:

I've done the stupid on holiday scooter in shorts and flip flop thing too🙄

I'm pretty much all the gear all the time nowadays though :thumb:

5 hours ago, rennie said:

In my youth riding gear was ordinary jeans and trainers with any leather jacket we could afford :scratch:

I've done the stupid on holiday scooter in shorts and flip flop thing too🙄

I'm pretty much all the gear all the time nowadays though :thumb:

when i started off in 1976 i wore blue jeans, black leather jacket, a helmet and doc marten boots 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 22:13, Stu said:

How times have changed eh 

back then no one would bat an eyelid but try it now and they will look at you like you have just murdered their mother :lol: 

And when I were a lad I used to ride in the back seat of my Dads Hillman Hunter stood on the transmission tunnel holding onto the front seats. Any kind of crash and I would have gone straight through the screen along with Mum and Dad as no one wore seat belts.

• Like 2

Just now, Bianco2564 said:

And when I were a lad I used to ride in the back seat of my Dads Hillman Hunter stood on the transmission tunnel holding onto the front seats. Any kind of crash and I would have gone straight through the screen along with Mum and Dad as no one wore seat belts.

Same! 

well it was an opel kadet :lol: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

It's just what you did back then, we went on holidays with a caravan with grand parents and 3 of us kids on rear seat. 

Dad took me and mates camping 5 of us in the back of a p100  pickup. 

• Like 2

@Bender definitely different times :lol:

I remember my friend and myself absolutely begging his dad to let us both ride in the boot of his car on journeys. We thought it was hilarious. My wife remembers been taking on day trips in her Grandads VW Camper, sat in the back sliding up and down the van on the wooden benches with no seatbelts :lol:

• Like 1