Indicator Woes

petefelstead

Hi, so my right hand indicators front and rear have stopped working and also the dash light isn't flashing. I have checked the rear bulb and it is fine. 
On the left hand side everything workes fine including the dash light. The hazard switch is just activating the left hand side. 
I am thinking it's got to be wiring or the relay. Can anyone please help me with what multimeter tests I can carry out to track down the fault? 
One more bit of info the fault happend the day after I had used bungees to strap the top box shut which makes me think I have pulled on the wiring but I have taken the seat and side panels off and can't see anything. My bike is a xj900 diversion.
Thank you in anticipation!
Pete.

Isn't normal all 3 bulbs blowing at same time so I would put that at the bottom of the list.

The checks with multimeter are for continuity and existence of 12V.

For continuity you will need to unplug the battery or you risk burning the meter.

Personally, I would start with 12V checks.

Starting with the switch. When it is in off position where do you have 12V, then check it again by turning on the side that is working and see where you have 12V.

turn on the other side and check again, it should read the same as opposite side.

with faulty side on check 12V to the bulbs (both wires just to make sure the bulb is working)

without the need to disconnect the battery you can check continuity to ground (-12V) is in good condition but you NEED to know what wires you're testing. If you're not comfortable in this disconnect the +12V on the battery.

You will have to chase the cables for dodgy connections, like "almost good" connectors, a wire that seems ok but actually isn't.

I would tend to think that if it is working one side only maybe the handlebar switch is not working properly as this is the part that gets the most of the action.

Many thanks husoi!

So here are the latest developments.

As you can see from the pics I have proceeded the hunt.

As far as the switch is concerned with ignition on and switched to l/h I have 12v to brown wire measuring from centre pole of switch which I am assuming is ground.

When switched to r/h I have 0v to green wire measuring from centre pole of switch.

With ignition off I have continuity between brown and green and centre pole when switched to the relevant side.

This would seem to suggest to me that the switch is ok but that there is no power getting to the green wire.

Does this assumption sound correct and if so do I just need to look at all of the r/h side indicator wiring. 

Could it be a blown turn signal warning light ?

Many thanks!

Pete

indicator switch.jpg

tank off.jpg