North Coast 500 Charity Challenge

Please help us spread the word about our challenge to fellow bikers!

50 bikers

500 miles

One goal: To help raise money to end youth homelessness in South Yorkshire!

IT’S time to rev up and hit the road as Roundabout heads for the Highlands with a major new fundraising challenge in September 2021!

The Scotland 500 is a new Roundabout event that will take motorbike enthusiasts on a 500 mile journey, starting from Inverness and riding off into the rugged splendour of the Highlands on the 24th – 26th September.

After a year without travel, it’s the perfect opportunity to enjoy the freedom of the open road and some of the UK’s most spectacular scenery.

What’s included:

·        A key member of the Roundabout crew to help you every step of the way

·        A fun list of challenges to complete

·        An opportunity to win some competitions such as most fundraised or most challenges completed

-        Chance to win a one-piece suit or jacket and jean combo

-        First 20 to sign up get a goody bag!

-        3 x trophies up for grabs

·        A photographer/videographer to help capture the special moments

·        A mechanic to support you on the route in case things get a little sticky

·        Dinner Friday, Saturday and Sunday

·        A Roundabout t-shirt

·        The Scotland 500 medal

·        A chance to really make the difference to the lives of young homeless people through fundraising

This is a rally, not a race, so there will be plenty of opportunity to take in the incredible views, whilst completing fun and challenging tasks along the route. We will all be getting together each day for a meal so you can join your fellow fundraisers to talk about the day’s ride!

In addition to a deposit of £150 to secure a place, participants are also asked to raise a minimum of £500 each in sponsorship to help support young homeless people across the South Yorkshire region. Roundabout works with over 300 young people every single day who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

We would love to invite you to take part in what is set to be an incredible challenge. If you would like any more information please do not hesitate to ask or if you would like to sign up, you can do so here: https://www.roundabouthomeless.org/event/the-scotland-500/

Thank you,

Emily

I've never done (or even heard of) a charity event where I've been asked to stump up £150 just to enter.

Good luck with it but I think I'll pass.

• Like 1

Don't get me started on charity's robbing barstewards, the majority if not all are NOT charity's they are businesses claiming charitable status. A charity is supposed to be a organisation run by VOLUNTEERS to raise money for people in need, since when has a charity have paid staff and have CEO's being paid six figure salaries and huge bonuses 🤬

• Like 1

Now now!! 

Before throwing accusations about lets get facts right! 

Which you can check here! https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-search/-/charity-details/3100041/charity-overview 

Yes there is some "charities" about that pay staff way too much but this is not the place to do it! all you are doing is portraying the forum in a bad light 

If you don't like it then don't comment and move on 

If you feel there is something wrong then feel free to report the post to a moderator or admin :D 

Did you calculate the wages?

even if you allow minimum wage for all 92 employees

92ppl X £7.5/hr X 37hr/wk X 52 weeks = 1,327,560

which makes just under 40% of total revenue.

This not accounting for any tax

You would also need to consider running costs.

To date and that I know of, only B.A.C.A. is run 100% volunteering without claimed expenses of any sort.

All funds are dedicated for services directly to the kids.

Show me another charity with this record and I'll gladly volunteer my time to them.

"Don't comment and move on..."?? Really? miss the opportunity to chip in and start an argument? :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Did you calculate the wages?

No as I am not interested! I just supplied the info for you to read up on and make your own mind up 

I already made my own mind up and that's £150 is better spent at home I don't need to get in to the politics of it all as it doesn't affect me as I aren't donating 

I know the perfect place people can donate money to though that's run by volunteers with no profits or wages paid :D 

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/clients/donations/ 

:lol: 

• Thanks 1

There's enough animosity from the locals about people treating the North West of Scotland as an amusement park and , I regret to say , a rubbish tip , without 50 bikers all rumbling around at once . In my opinion this is too many . Anyone with experience of the more narrow and twisty sections of the NC500 should be able to imagine the chaos that such a large group would create . Furthermore , where are these people intending to stay overnight  ? Campsites may be open but the toilet facilities are not . For that reason , only camper vans are being admitted and they need to be pre booked . And you can forget wild camping . There has been so much vandalism and rubbish dumping not to mention people depositing human waste all over the landscape that the authorities have been forced to introduce permit only zones for camping . At the moment this is in place around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs but from what I have seen this year the scheme may well be extended to the whole of Scotland . And how do I know all this stuff ? Because I've recently done a large part of the NC500 myself as a solo tour . Hypocritical ? Possibly , but there wasn't fifty of me so my impact was very minimal . 

• Like 3

And while I'm at it , why has this been chosen as a fund raising activity ? There's nothing particularly difficult or strenuous about it . It's just riding a motorcycle around some roads at the end of the day . Oh yeah , and another thing , has anyone considered how long it would take to fill 50 motorcycles at a single pay by card automated petrol pump ? Think of the noise and the disruption that this would bring to a small isolated community . This thing just hasn't been thought through at all . 

WP_20180717_12_18_15_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fastbob said:

has anyone considered how long it would take to fill 50 motorcycles at a single pay by card automated petrol pump

Lets say 5 mins per bike 

5x50=250 minutes devided by 60 = 4.16 hours :shock: 

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lets say 5 mins per bike 

In Scotland? Yeah right...

Takes almost 1 minute just for the card machine to connect to the network.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lets say 5 mins per bike 

That's not altogether inaccurate if you include moving the bike into position , removing gloves , finding reading glasses , figuring out what to do , filling up and moving the bike out of the way . It's not like you can skip these pumps and go on to the next one and I'm not just talking from a Harley rider's point of view either . 

• Like 1

Just now, fastbob said:

That's not altogether inaccurate if you include moving the bike into position , removing gloves , finding reading glasses , figuring out what to do , filling up and moving the bike out of the way . It's not like you can skip these pumps and go on to the next one and I'm not just talking from a Harley rider's point of view either . 

Yeah I figured 5 mins would be average for the whole group they will be faster and slower fill ups but still thats a frigging long time 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yeah I figured 5 mins would be average for the whole group they will be faster and slower fill ups but still thats a frigging long time 

There is a faster method . Somebody pre pays £100 and an assistant grabs the nozzle while everyone lines up , engines running and petrol caps open . A third party is on hand with a note book scribbling down the figures from the pump against the registrations . As long as the filler dosen't replace the nozzle the jobs a good 'un . BUT .... Can you imagine the stress and f****g around trying to gather all the money back ? And bear in mind that  this performance could be repeated three times in one day on the north western stage . 

59 minutes ago, Bender said:

2500 Harleys manage a weekend in aviemore no probs 😁 

Gathering in one place from far and wide and then going their separate ways is one thing . Fifty bikes traveling on torturous single track roads with a passing place system and all having to refuel at a single petrol pump in a small village  is quite another . Besides this , Aviemore is just off the A9 .

2 minutes ago, fastbob said:

You must find this sort of thing difficult to understand then . https://youtu.be/tZj_4WmsqAA

Bob stop taking the bait :lol: 

You know certain bikes have a stigma attached to them! 

Anything Italian and its watch the electrics and they will always breakdown and be expensive 

BMW is the same it will be expensive and breakdown! 

same with Harley 

Honda are boring 

The paintwork is shite on suzuki's 

The list is endless and majority of it not true any more unless you have something from the 90's :lol: 

10 hours ago, fastbob said:

Gathering in one place from far and wide and then going their separate ways is one thing . Fifty bikes traveling on torturous single track roads with a passing place system and all having to refuel at a single petrol pump in a small village  is quite another . Besides this , Aviemore is just off the A9 .

They clearly state maximum number of bikes in any one group is 12. 

Thing that I find amusing is a pillion has to pay registration, now I can just about see the logic in that, they get the same support, meals, tee shirt etc etc but they also are expected to raise £500, so that's 1300 to ride around a road and play a few games. 

To be fair, it's a fair exchange: 150 quid for three dinners some tat and a photographer. The rest of the money is what you raise for the charity... it would be really unfair if you were to get anything back in return for that!

9 hours ago, Bender said:

They clearly state maximum number of bikes in any one group is 12. 

Thing that I find amusing is a pillion has to pay registration, now I can just about see the logic in that, they get the same support, meals, tee shirt etc etc but they also are expected to raise £500, so that's 1300 to ride around a road and play a few games. 

I couldn't be arsed to read all of it . Where's the fun in that ? 

• Haha 1