Security devices when travelling to and around Shetland Islands

Hi all,

I'll be riding my Honda CB125F around the Shetland Islands next month, and I'm not sure what to do about security devices: More specifically, I'm considering leaving my 6kg Oxford Monster chain and cover at home in London, and only bring my Oxford Boss alarmed disc lock. Does this sound like a bad idea to you?

I'll be spending the night in Keswick on my way to Aberdeen (where I'll get the ferry), then spend a week in Shetland, and finally on the way back I'll be spending the night in Darlington. I have a 39-litre topbox (3kg max) and a pair of throw-over panniers (30 litre + 5kg max each). The bike manual says that the total luggage weight must not exceed 13kg under any circumstances.

So weight-wise, my chain alone would take up almost half of the capacity -- moreover, it'd exceed the load capacity for the topbox and panniers. The bike cover is lightweight but relatively bulky. This is all particularly problematic because I'm bringing my camping and cooking equipment too.

I'm not worried about my bike getting stolen in Shetland, but I'm worried about the risks of carrying too much weight (I passed the CBT a few weeks ago so I'm a new rider), damaging the bike/luggage and invalidating the insurance policy if it turns out I need to claim.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Shetlands are very small islands. If anyone would think about nicking your bike won't go far.

For insurance purposes you maybe need a disk lock but even that will be an overkill :thumb: 

If your bike disappears from where you left it I bet you will find it by the pub 😂

I'm sure your chain will weight less than a pillion so that will be fine.

The weights on luggage boxes refers to the limit (overstated) that the box would be able to support. If you exceed the capacity by a few kg you will be fine as long the weight is well balanced.

I find the distribution of total weight more important than the stated capacity.

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

Take a thinner lighter bicycle lock in addition to disk lock if you like - thieves could cut through it were it attached to a lamppost but would be harder than lifting a disk lock into the bike. 

• Like 1

Disc lock and a cover should be good enough ..... If they really want the bike they're more likely to pick it up and put it in the back of a van anyway.  I usually just use my ABUS alarmed disc lock.  If I'm going down the south of England to visit family then I take a chain as well, but unless it's secured to something immovable or another bike then TBH it's probably not gonna stop them nicking it.  I think you're reasonably safe in the Shetlands,  hope you have a good trip 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

:stupid: 

I would normally take a disk lock and place it on the rear wheel. Bike cover for when I cant arrange covered parking or garage and a cable and lock. 👍

A bike cover in the Shetlands???? Are you nuts??? 😲

Will be like having a kite.

Get a bit of wind and it will get blown over.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, husoi said:

A bike cover in the Shetlands???? Are you nuts??? 😲

Will be like having a kite.

Get a bit of wind and it will get blown over.

and there lies stupidity - and the need for risk assessments. The OP is going to other places too, the weather might not be as unpleasant in Darlington (although I doubt it 😂

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

Hi everybody,

Thank you so much for your comments!

Indeed, Darlington is the only stop that concerns me because it's a large town -- though I know bike theft there won't be remotely as bad as in London!

I think I'm just going to bring the disc lock and spend the night in a smaller town/village on the way back to London, for peace of mind.

Cheers! :thumb:

• Like 2