Scottoiler V system

Hoggs

Word up you lot. So my new to me bike came with a scottoiler vacuum system. Now it had been sat up for maaaaaany years and was dry so

Filled it up

Primed it so oil came out

Ran engine. Nothing

Checked all connectors, elbow joint to engine vacuum cracked! New one purchased and fit. 

Ran engine. Nothing. 

Reprimed so oil came out

Ran engine. Nothing

Now I don't have any clue about this so any help welcome. I did a bit of googling but other than "check vacuum" it's a bit vague 

thanks in advance! 

19 minutes ago, bonio said:

New bike??

Pictures???

Sorry. Old bike had an X System; not a clue about V System. 

Well that's not helpful 🤣

its the wrong colour I know... but I love it a lot 😍 Z750

Screenshot_20210813-210346_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Hoggs
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoggs said:

Yea, black ones are the quickest. Knew I would convert you sooner or later. 🤣🤣. By the way the tax is out of date. 😉

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JRH said:

Yea, black ones are the quickest. Knew I would convert you sooner or later. 🤣🤣. By the way the tax is out of date. 😉

Ha! I took that off shortly after! yeah hadn't been on the road since 2013. Only 13k miles! well...14k now 😉

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

When you say ran engine and nothing how long did you run it for? what setting was the oiler on? 

Jesus what is this the Spanish inquisition 🤣

but probably 2 - 3 mins and around 5? 

Just now, Hoggs said:

Jesus what is this the Spanish inquisition 🤣

but probably 2 - 3 mins and around 5? 

No @Bender kicked him out :D

You might need to up the number or run it longer to actually see a drip 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The oil flow will vary slightly as the vacuum alters, at least that's what I found when I had that system. It makes it very hard to set up right. You need to go for a decent ride to get the oil to drip out. At idle nothing will happen. 

It's why I didn't buy the same system when I changed bikes. Too hit and miss to set up, and it changes between winter and summer as the oil thickens.

Once you find a setting that works leave well alone.

• Like 1

Hi @Hoggs, Always used scottoilers, easy to set up😂, Once you primed system, turn the dial back to any number and then start engine, on tickover you should be getting one drip every 60secs, that's what Scottoiler recommend, depending on length of rides it can takes some time fiddling about at first, but well worth it in the end, this year not adjusted chain yet, and we have done a few miles!!  Just remember once set only alter small increments, for long wet rides😂😂

There is also information on Scottoilers website, on set up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @Hoggs, Always used scottoilers, easy to set up😂, Once you primed system, turn the dial back to any number and then start engine, on tickover you should be getting one drip every 60secs, that's what Scottoiler recommend, depending on length of rides it can takes some time fiddling about at first, but well worth it in the end, this year not adjusted chain yet, and we have done a few miles!!  Just remember once set only alter small increments, for long wet rides😂😂

There is also information on Scottoilers website, on set up.

yeah I just wonder if because it was sat for so long it's gunked up somewhere. Had a little ride out this morning and some MotoGP now so will refiddle later. Nothing ever seems to be easy when I'm involved 🤣

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The oil flow will vary slightly as the vacuum alters, at least that's what I found when I had that system. It makes it very hard to set up right. You need to go for a decent ride to get the oil to drip out. At idle nothing will happen. 

The first bit is correct, manifold vacuum varies with throttle opening.

The second bit is not, at idle there is a strong vacuum as is when cruising on a light throttle. Highest vacuum is on overrun.

At full throttle there is no vacuum. If you have ever had a vacuum gauge on a car you would see it go down to zero when you floor it, be somewhere around 18-22in Hg when idling if the engine is healthy.

Some genius car manufacturers back in the day used to power the window wipers with manifold vacuum, great until you come to a hill and put your foot down, the wipers stopped.

On Hoggs problem, I'd check the vacuum from the engine with a gauge, if all ok it must be the scottoiler unit,got to be a diaphragm of some sort in there, either gummed up or perished.

As you say a bit of a faff to set up, I've got one on the R1 and that took a while to find the best setting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

The first bit is correct, manifold vacuum varies with throttle opening.

The second bit is not, at idle there is a strong vacuum as is when cruising on a light throttle. Highest vacuum is on overrun.

At full throttle there is no vacuum. If you have ever had a vacuum gauge on a car you would see it go down to zero when you floor it, be somewhere around 18-22in Hg when idling if the engine is healthy.

Some genius car manufacturers back in the day used to power the window wipers with manifold vacuum, great until you come to a hill and put your foot down, the wipers stopped.

On Hoggs problem, I'd check the vacuum from the engine with a gauge, if all ok it must be the scottoiler unit,got to be a diaphragm of some sort in there, either gummed up or perished.

As you say a bit of a faff to set up, I've got one on the R1 and that took a while to find the best setting.

Mine never worked on idle. If I set it to drip on idle then it would pour out oil once on the move. I assumed there is some kind of valve that tries to compensate for variable vacuum that shuts off at full vacuum to prevent oilflow when stationary. You really only want it flowing whilst the chain is turning.

On 13/08/2021 at 21:03, Hoggs said:

Nice bike, I had Z750R mat black many years ago. Great machine

• Like 1

My take having had a scotoiler don’t know which system.

Mine had vent hose occasionally I would need to give a quick blow suck on it to free the mechanism.

Secondly put it on price and see if you can get constant oil flow.

Thridly I switched to Lubeman and Gidiaiia on my bikes, Why?
Cheaper both have there faults but work well, with both I choose how much oil goes on and when.

Scotoilers cannot tell if it’s winter wet ride or dry summer ride… it does make a difference.

Yes with all these systems my chains get spray of chain oil from time to time, however having gone through chains with and without oilers they do last longer.  However Scotoiler prices make the justification difficult.

18 hours ago, onesea said:

My take having had a scotoiler don’t know which system.

Mine had vent hose occasionally I would need to give a quick blow suck on it to free the mechanism.

Secondly put it on price and see if you can get constant oil flow.

Thridly I switched to Lubeman and Gidiaiia on my bikes, Why?
Cheaper both have there faults but work well, with both I choose how much oil goes on and when.

Scotoilers cannot tell if it’s winter wet ride or dry summer ride… it does make a difference.

Yes with all these systems my chains get spray of chain oil from time to time, however having gone through chains with and without oilers they do last longer.  However Scotoiler prices make the justification difficult.

Agreed - I have the Gidibii on my CBF - same as the Cobbra Nemo 2 but way cheaper. I can add oil whenever I want to, however much I want to, just takes a quarter turn of the cap and the job's done.

• Like 1