Outdoor advice please

Desmond.22

So looking at getting a 125 again doing cbt etc as last time really was wrong time with young kids etc. 

So the bug has bitten but I'm getting some work done on house soon and the garage will be full so can't store in there. 

I'm guessing it's not ideal store bike outdoors over winter or is there a way to weather protect it as I'll he  buying new bike and don't like idea of it being wrecked in winter. 

Or do I do sensible thing and wait until next march April when work finishes and I'll get my garage back? 

Ta

Mines stored outside and has been for the last 18 months or so, it has a cover which is due for replacing now as it has some tears in it, but other than that the bike itself is in good condition with very little in the way of rust.

This year though as I will be using it over winter I will be giving it a coating of ACF50 :thumb:

PS it is chinese and it hasn't melted :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

Can you not leave a bit of space at the front of the garage? A 125 won’t take up a lot of space if you put it in widthways. 
You will be able to spin the bike on side stand to help you get it into position. 

Sadly no as garage being converted or half of it anyway so needs be completely emptied.

Until he has done flooring, electrics, plumbing etc then I can have my end back but he is not starting the work until mid oct/Nov time so if buy now will need store outside for 6/8 weeks while he does his stuff  

Tempted ask mates etc use their garages but gets awkward if something gets damaged etc 

4 minutes ago, Pie man said:

In the meantime you could always treat with ACF50 or pay all year biker to do it for you. 

Never heard off this stuff mate ill look into though guessing a weather proofer of kinds

Storing a bike outside is fine. just cover it. what is more important to a new owner is where they store it. Really it should be on your property, off the road and out of sight of passersby. This is crucial. 125s are highly desirable to thieves. And the last thing you need is for the bike to be stolen as the effect of a claim on re-insuring a replacement with be jaw dropping and far more detrimental to your wallet that any slight surface rust.

Don’t worry about getting your bike wet,  as has been said ACF50,  good bike cover, if you use it on salted roads rinse it of with cold water or use salt away. I never have any issues ,,,, touch wood, during winter use 👍

Back in the good ol' days we just slathered the parts that were likely to corrode or oxidise with ordinary grease and rode in all weathers until the bike turned black . Come the Spring we took it all off again with a brush and a jar of petrol . 

• Like 1

My bike lives outdoors when I'm home and thus using the bike. ACF50 and a decent cover seems to do the business. More likely to have issues when riding it in winter as the salt gets everywhere.

• Like 1