CBT Passed Today

I passed my CBT today which was great and don't get me wrong the feeling of riding the bike was an adrenaline rush.

I thought I would feel different now about motorcycling. What I mean is the adrenaline has warn i off and I'm now sat thinking do I really have what it takes? During my CBT my speed was an issue as I wasn't going fast enough. 

I'm just wondering if this is for me?

Hi and welcome to the forum 

The more you ride the easier it gets and the more fun it becomes 

If you think you are going slow don't worry about it as going too fast can be more of an issue without the experience or knowledge 

Keep at it and then fun will come 

21 minutes ago, NewriderDave21 said:

I passed my CBT today which was great and don't get me wrong the feeling of riding the bike was an adrenaline rush.

I thought I would feel different now about motorcycling. What I mean is the adrenaline has warn i off and I'm now sat thinking do I really have what it takes? During my CBT my speed was an issue as I wasn't going fast enough. 

I'm just wondering if this is for me?

my nephew passed his cbt in June.... he had concerns , especially with going round roundabouts, he just kept on practicing now he's fine and cant get out enough ...

have you got a bike ?

7 hours ago, Six30 said:

my nephew passed his cbt in June.... he had concerns , especially with going round roundabouts, he just kept on practicing now he's fine and cant get out enough ...

have you got a bike ?

This was what I was thinking, I am booked in for my MOD 1 and 2 the end of October which is a while yet. I don't have anything to practice on in the mean time so do I buy a 125 and practice for a bit and rebook my Direct Access Course for next year or just go and do my MOD 1 and 2?

1 hour ago, NewriderDave21 said:

This was what I was thinking, I am booked in for my MOD 1 and 2 the end of October which is a while yet. I don't have anything to practice on in the mean time so do I buy a 125 and practice for a bit and rebook my Direct Access Course for next year or just go and do my MOD 1 and 2?

thats what i'd recommend , get your self a bike, get some confidence on it .

• Thanks 1

I had this feeling when I passed mod 2... it took me a month, wondering whether I had what it takes ride a bike or whether to give up, and then a mate offered to sell me his bike and that made my mind up. One of the best decisions I've made.

6 hours ago, NewriderDave21 said:

I did my CBT in 2019 and didn't ride at all for a year due to life getting bin the way then decide to go mod 1 and 2 rather than buy a 125. It was an intensive course and from the the my lack of seat time I probably wouldn't be at the needed level in time. As it happened covid struck and I ended up breaking my course down, so I took a few 4 hours lessons, also school I used will rent you a 125 cheaply for daily hire while you are doing full license training with them and I did this a few times as well until I was ready to take mod 1 then once passed  took a couple more to sharpen road riding. It worked much better for me as the pressure of having to pass both tests back to back was too much for me. It ended up taking just under a year. But by the time I hit to mod 2 my confidence was where it needed to be...I didn't hope I would pass I knew I would pass unless I made a stupid mistake.

There are pros and cons to going 125 first but at the end of the day it's a personal choice. You do what works for you. And good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So last week I bought myself a CBF 125 and I love it. Last night for the first time since my CBT I went up and down the driveway getting used to the clutch and throttle and then went round the block. Then I went a bit further out round the estate where I live and came back buzzing. Hopefully if the rain doesn't come down too hard today I want to go back out tonight for another little ride but riding  solo I can see now why people said when you ride a motorbike there is no feeling like it.

Have to admit I was a bit wobbly to start but people have said just keep practicing and one day it will all come together.

IMG-20210908-WA0004.jpeg

• Like 2

CBF 125 was my first. Many happy memories with that bike.

Motorcycling isn't like driving. Driving you learn to drive the car, you pass your test and whilst your driving can improve and/or you get exposed to different driving conditions you've pretty much 'done it'.

When you ride a motorbike, you can be years down the line and still feel like you're trying to improve aspects of your riding. 

There are things when driving a car that you mostly don't have to worry about. Balance, grip, if you enter a bend a bit to hot you can hit the brakes without much grief. Obviously it can all go horribly wrong still but it usually requires you doing something moronic. But on a bike? You are more sensitive to the road surface, if you come into a bend too hot you're likely to target fixate, grab the brake and the bike well stand up and go in the direction you didn't want it to go etc etc etc

This isn't to try and put you off, but it explains those times you finish a ride and feel like you rode like a sack of spanners and wondering if motorcycling is for you.

BUT. When you get a ride right, it's a million times more rewarding than driving. I don't nip out at lunch 'for a drive'. But I nip out at lunch for a bike ride.

My advice is ride, be honest with yourselves on the bits of your riding that you wish to improve and work on them. Learning to ride is a bit of a rollercoaster and just try to know that when it doesn't quite feel like it's coming together it will in time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NewriderDave21 said:

Have to admit I was a bit wobbly to start but people have said just keep practicing and one day it will all come together.

IMG-20210908-WA0004.jpeg

Congrats!!!! Just to say... I've been riding for 6 years and sometimes I have a bit of a "wobble day" so never beat yourself up if you feel you're not perfect as @SometimesSansEnginesaid its a constant learning experience and sometimes you just don't nail it but it does happen to us all and a bad day on the bike still makes me smile more than a good day in the car!!

• Thanks 1