Is this crack a problem for next mot

You can reinforce it from inside with some duct tape to make sure it won't be flapping as @Six30 is saying.

Make sure you clean it properly before the tape to get a good adhesion.

I assume your MOT is due shortly, ideally you have it repaired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Front Mudguard is a strange one. Not part of an MOT so it won't be checked however it is illegal to ride without one :scratch:

its not part of mot but its bad advice to say its not a part mot is interested in as some twat above has said... if its got a visible crack mot tester will look at it to see if its safe or interfering with wheel rotation

• Like 1

@Six30 absolutely agree. Just pointing out its strange how its illegal to ride without one but doesnt get checked on mot.

I'd be sorting it before mot if at all possible as its bound to make the tester get extra nosey :lol:

• Like 1

And they can't go searching for it so if an MOT tester wanted to be picky he could fail it 

5.3.3. Suspension arms, rods, linkage etc.

Some motorcycles are not fitted with rear suspension.

To fully access rear suspension components it may be necessary to remove side panels or the seat to carry out a full examination.

With mono-shock type suspension some linkage movement may be observed when the rear suspension is ‘hanging’.

On machines without a centre stand, suitable equipment must be used to raise the wheels clear of the ground, either independently or simultaneously, using an assistant where necessary. Pulling a motorcycle over on its side-stand is not recommended.

The machine should be jacked so that the wheels are hanging free.

Some fork arrangements rely on the bracing incorporated in the mudguard fixings to maintain their alignment. If a mudguard is insecurely fixed to the forks, it may adversely affect the handling of the machine.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

And they can't go searching for it so if an MOT tester wanted to be picky he could fail it 

this is why I give whatever vehicle I'm getting tested a good clean. Especially with a car I like to give the engine and bay area a good wipe down, cleaning all the fluid reservoirs etc so everything is nice and easy to see. 

The aim being to make it as nice and easy for the tester to do his job as possible so he doesn't get wound up at the state of it and think I'm definitely failing this twat 😆

• Haha 1

Just now, Tiggie said:

this is why I give whatever vehicle I'm getting tested a good clean. Especially with a car I like to give the engine and bay area a good wipe down, cleaning all the fluid reservoirs etc so everything is nice and easy to see. 

The aim being to make it as nice and easy for the tester to do his job as possible so he doesn't get wound up at the state of it and think I'm definitely failing this twat 😆

Its not the vehicle you need to worry about :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, exportmanuk said:

On some bikes the front mudguard is also a brace between the forks to help stabilise the compression of the forks.  If your is one that uses this then it may fail.

It's a Suzuki GZ125 K8 2008?

When I answered this question I considered a couple of things. Firstly. The mudguard is NOT part of the MOT parts checklist. Nor does it play an active role in the front suspension. I looked at the parts fiche, before posting.

803139400_Screenshot2021-08-28at18_18_21.thumb.png.64c69050a9804ae0c7c2a3d9e1e1726e.png

The crack is clean and there has been no displacement, so adding complications in the answer about wheel rotation seemed pointless. Mostly because if this was something that had happened it would have been mentioned. There would be a very unpleasant noise that is unmissable.

At worse this fault might attract an advisory.  As a fault that is not part of the MOT test.

Now, if it were to fail. then the OP has 10 days to rectify the problem before a free retest expires, so why panic about it? Put it through the test and see what happens. A failure will concentrate the mind. But, a pass will just mean you have rather more than a 10 day window to rectify the problem.

Its a shame the OP didn't post this question a little earlier as one sold on eBay earlier this week for £25. I checked that too, on the offchance that a replacement was readily available.. the easiest answer of all: 'Replace it with this...'

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

When I answered this question I considered a couple of things. Firstly. The mudguard is NOT part of the MOT parts checklist. Nor does it play an active role in the front suspension. I looked at the parts fiche, before posting.

803139400_Screenshot2021-08-28at18_18_21.thumb.png.64c69050a9804ae0c7c2a3d9e1e1726e.png

The crack is clean and there has been no displacement, so adding complications in the answer about wheel rotation seemed pointless. Mostly because if this was something that had happened it would have been mentioned. There would be a very unpleasant noise that is unmissable.

At worse this fault might attract an advisory.  As a fault that is not part of the MOT test.

Now, if it were to fail. then the OP has 10 days to rectify the problem before a free retest expires, so why panic about it? Put it through the test and see what happens. A failure will concentrate the mind. But, a pass will just mean you have rather more than a 10 day window to rectify the problem.

Its a shame the OP didn't post this question a little earlier as one sold on eBay earlier this week for £25. I checked that too, on the offchance that a replacement was readily available.. the easiest answer of all: 'Replace it with this...'

"No, it’s not a part the MOT is interested in " then you say "if it were to fail" , why would it fail if mot is not interested in the mudgaurd ...make your mind up....

other people can offer advice , better advice than yours i might add....  classic back peddle :laugh:

You could plastic weld it from the inside with a kit off amazon. It basically melts staples into the plastic to reinforce the material, to be tidy you then melt the ridge of plastic this creates to seal in the staple. If you get it tight, the crack might become invisible in all but super close inspection.

You might get an MOT tester make a comment to you, but I doubt he'll fail it on that. I put a CBR600F through an MOT last year with a cracked mudguard and he just asked if I was aware of it, new one was already in the post.