E10 fuel

Philip

In theory it should be able to, places like America have been using E10 for over a decade. And it's a similar story in many parts of the world. Manufacturers knew it was coming for years, and designed their bikes for 5-10% ethanol blended fuel. As a result most bikes back into the mid-90's should be ok.

For the ones that aren't compatible, it's not necessarily the end of the story. Many will run on it fine, the issue lies with the fuel lines being made of a lower grade rubber. The effect this extra 5% has on them is huge, in a matter of weeks the flexible lines will be hard as rock, and it will soon clog the fuel system when they break apart.

To be safe, I've been telling those with carbed bikes to check their fuel lines first, and spark plugs. Then run a few tanks of E10 over the next couple of months and then check the condition of the lines/spark plug. If you see a sudden hardening of the line, or signs of excessive lean running, you need to replace the lines and rejet the carb. 

I really shake my head with E10. I won't go into it, but the amount of carbon it offsets has been made to look huge. 750,000 tonnes a year of CO2 sounds impressive but it's a tiny drop. Far bigger savings could easily have been made elsewhere with less disruption. But as usual, it's easier to leave the little guy out of pocket.

• Like 1