Looking for 125 cruiser.

Ok, but I guess you're expecting the "why not buy a secondhand Jap bike instead?" thing, so here it is: why not buy a Honda Shadow? You'll not regret it.

I had the 250 virago in 1995 great build quality. They still use the 250 engine in the lexmoto vendetta and the bullit 250s.

However if I had to chose a modern 125 it would be the cb125f for practicality with the new eps engine really frugal on the fuel or the zontes g125 for styling and nice 15bhp liquid cooled engine buck the trend of cheap Chinese seem really good quality the 310s are nice machines too.

9 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

My personal preference would be the UM ( even though finding parts is a problem at the moment ) because the riding position is more comfortable for me compared to the Michigan ( personal opinion ), mainly due to the ape like bars unlike the UM which has flatter bars so your arms are pretty much level, but bars can be changed so not much of an issue, also not keen on the footplates much prefer the pegs.

There are plenty of chinese cruisers about you have the Sinnis Hoodlum, Hyosung Aquila, Lexmoto Michigan as mentioned, there are some new stock of UM's arriving within the next couple of months which have several different styles of cruiser.

Having owned a UM for 2 1/2 years I can confidently recommend them, yes I have had a couple of problems mainly the mechanical seal but I did rectify that, but that was the only major problem I had with it, I have had no electrical problems, no engine problems, and most importantly no rust problems and it hasn't melted from being in the rain.

I do all my own servicing and maintainence on it to make sure it is done and it is regularly washed and polished.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dynax said:

My personal preference would be the UM ( even though finding parts is a problem at the moment ) because the riding position is more comfortable for me compared to the Michigan ( personal opinion ), mainly due to the ape like bars unlike the UM which has flatter bars so your arms are pretty much level, but bars can be changed so not much of an issue, also not keen on the footplates much prefer the pegs.

There are plenty of chinese cruisers about you have the Sinnis Hoodlum, Hyosung Aquila, Lexmoto Michigan as mentioned, there are some new stock of UM's arriving within the next couple of months which have several different styles of cruiser.

Having owned a UM for 2 1/2 years I can confidently recommend them, yes I have had a couple of problems mainly the mechanical seal but I did rectify that, but that was the only major problem I had with it, I have had no electrical problems, no engine problems, and most importantly no rust problems and it hasn't melted from being in the rain.

I do all my own servicing and maintainence on it to make sure it is done and it is regularly washed and polished.

UM seem quite Solid I know the scrambler is based on the derbi mulhacen which was a good bike. The hyosung seem nice and solid too. I'm guessing now is a good time to pick up some of the last euro 4 125s as a lot of the new 5s are a lot more at around 3k. 

8 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

UM seem quite Solid I know the scrambler is based on the derbi mulhacen which was a good bike. The hyosung seem nice and solid too. I'm guessing now is a good time to pick up some of the last euro 4 125s as a lot of the new 5s are a lot more at around 3k. 

They are a solid bike and the build quality is pretty good, they are heavy though and would benefit from having the full 15BHP engine allowance than the 12 it currently has, but saying that it pulls well uphill and will cruise happily at 60-65  but I am not that big or heavy compared to some who might have an adverse effect on performance.

The UM's used prices did go up because of the lack of availability and some did cash in, but I kept mine because I know it and have full confidence in it and I just love it, It rides and handles perfectly and this is why I have so many conflicting battles with myself regarding the licence and doing the tests, it just fits all my needs or at least the majority of them.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 08:40, bonio said:

It looks very shiny and well cared for but just to put things into perspective , for another thousand pounds you could choose from a wide range of equally well looked after Harley Davidson Sportsters including many C or custom models if chrome is your thing . 

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

It looks very shiny and well cared for but just to put things into perspective , for another thousand pounds you could choose from a wide range of equally well looked after Harley Davidson Sportsters including many C or custom models if chrome is your thing . 

Ur right but for many money and licence is a limiting factor. My AT has no chrome I miss it in the summer but I'm glad I do t have it in the salty winters. I do like some of the latest Indian cruisers

19 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

Ur right but for many money and licence is a limiting factor. My AT has no chrome I miss it in the summer but I'm glad I do t have it in the salty winters. I do like some of the latest Indian cruisers

Indian cruisers. What’s the make and model please I will have a look.

Thanks