Shutterbugs help please!!

Tiggie

My birthday is coming up and I've decided for my present I'd like a camera ( Mrs tiggie can't think of anything to get me so gave up and said I could choose!!) 

Not looking to spend loads as it will be my first DSLR so I'm looking at +10 year old entry level including a lense with a ceiling of £200

I've seen plenty of canon 450d's going for approx £150 with an 18-55mm lens which look quite acceptable and I'm gutted as I missed out on a Nikon d90 (without lens) on eBay which sold for £130 and it only had 8000 shots taken 😭

Any suggestions on what to look for are welcome. I'm not planning on shooting sports, probably more landscapes, squirrels in trees etc.

Nikon D3200 is what I have and can't fault it, not very bulky lightweight and was originally sold as kit with 2 lenses 18-55 and 55-200 two batteries and some other bits and pieces few on ebay at the moment around your budget :thumb:

+1 for the Canon ! Been using them since AE1 and find they are robust, efficient and better value than some other well known brands.

Also should you ever need repairs they don`t turn their noses up at older models that weren`t top of the range.

Take your time and find something that works for you.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers people. It'll probably come down to whichever deal looks good. As @Fish said, they will all be able to do more than I can anyway!!

leaning towards the canon 450d at the moment mainly due to there being a good amount of them floating around eBay with low shutter counts.

while on the subject I'll post these pics I took earlier in the week with my phone. I'm quite impressed with the camera on it, seems to do a nice job of close up stuff.

PXL_20210909_135040050~2.jpg

PXL_20210908_080139536.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Canon 350D which is about a billion years old. It's survived a healthy career exploring numerous abandoned tunnels, mines, buildings etc in some harsh conditions so I'd go with Canon.

Some girl took the piss out of the shutter sound which was very mechanical compared to her swish Nikon which I found a little rude.

She was otherwise very nice.

Edited by Mr Fro

20 hours ago, Bender said:

Just make sure you do t get stung 😂 

My phone has 3 lenses, I have no idea which one it used for Mr wasp, who I might add was very fond of chicken. 

20210907_174054.JPG

Silly boy. That's clearly a female wasp. Maybe you need to use one of the other lenses?

• Like 1

Slight curveball but dslr is dying and mirrorless is taking over. 

You could pick up a Sony nex 5 or 6 in budget or if you can stretch it a little then a Sony a6000 is achievable. 

These lenses will be compatible with newer body’s should you wish to upgrade down the line. 

I was once told by someone much more knowledgeable than me on this topic that when it comes to Canon vs Nikon, areas of photography where the Nikon outshines the Canon, the Canon is still second best out of the other options of camera. But when it comes to areas where the Canon is best, the Nikon is often far from second place. Sort of saying that the Canon is the overall best model.

I had the 450D (American version called the Rebel T2i) and it was a fantastic camera. Before that I had the Canon 300D, which really felt stone age in comparison. I've also had a few cameras from Nikon, Olympus, and Panasonic, but the Canon's always felt best. 

I'm currently using a Canon 700D, had the old 450D not been pinched I'd have probably still had that now. 

I have a lot of 35mm stuff, Al canon, but as it's film it's not worth anything now so would be hard to sell to upgrade to digital. I also used to develop my own film, unless it was for slides, but no longer have the kit or place to do it and I'm not sure shops still do it