Noobie, need help identifying part.

Jack Plummer

Unbolt the bolty thing from the back of it and withdraw the springy, clicky thing.

Fit the main bit back on the hole & do up the bolts. Reinsert the clicky & springy bits (in the correct order) followed by the bolt. Don't feel compelled to prod the clicky thing in as hard as you can as it'll wear out the spinny, whirry components.

You may now enjoy a moment of smugness that you've reinstalled your cam chain tensioner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Mate, did you not read my post?

Yep i did but someone comes on asking a simple question and the thread ends up being full of needless drivel . So just in case the poster missed the answer to their question  within it i thought i would clarify it .

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

Yep i did but someone comes on asking a simple question and the thread ends up being full of needless drivel . So just in case the poster missed the answer to their question  within it i thought i would clarify it .

He also asked how to put it back, you were a bit lacking in that 😁 

• Haha 1

But if you then  know what it is , and you know what your bike is you can possibly  google replacing cam chain tensioner on xyz bike ? 

As some models have explicit instructions on how they are replaced etc so i would not instruct on a model i am not aware of ...

7 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Why did he take it out in the first place? Never really said I don't think. Taking random bits off machinery isn't generally considered to be a good thing.

Haven't you ever been a bit curious about what something does and taken it off for a peek?

I have. On occasion I even manage to put them back!

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

Haven't you ever been a bit curious about what something does and taken it off for a peek?

I remember the first time I took a drum brake apart for no reason other than to have a look inside.

A very panicky while later I'd managed to work out where all the springs and bits went back :lol:

Mr Fro's advice was spot on . If you withdraw a cam chain tensioner and then try to refit  it without resetting it and removing the spring , serious engine damage  will almost certainly result . 

• Like 1

And to the OP . Please ask which bolt is the oil drain plug before you do an oil change . That way you won't end up asking which order the spring and plunger goes back in on your neutral position detent stop . 

7 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

Good god no! I'm a mechanical disaster area and leave all such things to those mentally weird people who actually like taking things to bits and then trying to reassemble them. I can respect them for doing it but have as much enthusiasm for it as poking pins in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/09/2021 at 14:11, Six30 said:

why cant you get it back in ? looks easy enough

Because it's now fully extended . You have to take the end cap off , take out the spring and rod , lift the ratchet and reset the plunger , replace the gasket , bolt it back on , insert the rod and spring and finally replace the end cap . Failure to follow this procedure will result in serious engine damage . 

On 13/09/2021 at 20:21, fastbob said:

Because it's now fully extended . You have to take the end cap off , take out the spring and rod , lift the ratchet and reset the plunger , replace the gasket , bolt it back on , insert the rod and spring and finally replace the end cap . Failure to follow this procedure will result in serious engine damage . 

874FC775-7163-4F25-A34D-D94A36E97B6F.jpeg