Stoped my first cbt..

hi, I need some help and advice, I wouldn’t say I failed my cbt I had to stop it as my nerves and anxiety got to much for me last month when I had my cbt, I felt like i was all tensed thru out the whole day, and then the road bit came and I just couldn’t go on the road so I had to stop it, but I now have a 1 on 1 on the 1st of next month I would say I’m still nervous but any advice and tips? I’m 35 and feel so silly tbh but I have always wanted a bik.. any help would be much appreciated:-)

9 minutes ago, Dajbosson86 said:

Yea I ride a push bike to work every day, it’s control of the bike what I struggle with tbh, and it’s like I’m really stiff if that makes sense? 

Stiff is bad on a motorbike your fighting what it wants to do,  find a school that has a good sized training area and and pay for  practice. 

They have seen it all before, a good school should put you at ease and work on issues, as  a cyclist your used to being on the road and vulnerable, least with the motorbike your wearing more protection 😁 

Yea first cbt I did I was with another guy he was going good, but then I couldn’t go ahead with him :-( but I heard that that school had a sort of pushing u to do things rather then teaching u, so I found a company where I am doing the 1 on 1 now the instructor has over 35 years experience and the reviews are really good too. I feel like a tit as I’m 35 lol 

4 minutes ago, Dajbosson86 said:

Yea first cbt I did I was with another guy he was going good, but then I couldn’t go ahead with him :-( but I heard that that school had a sort of pushing u to do things rather then teaching u, so I found a company where I am doing the 1 on 1 now the instructor has over 35 years experience and the reviews are really good too. I feel like a tit as I’m 35 lol 

Some folk just take longer to settle in, I was fine with everything but was crap at u turn, once you get the coordination sussed you can concentrate on everything else

One trick I was told about when I was starting out is to make a conscious effort every now and then to relax your shoulders and arms. I was amazed how tense I could get, and it made a lot of different to ride with my shoulders and back more loosened up.

On 11/09/2021 at 21:08, Dajbosson86 said:

I feel like a tit as I’m 35 lol 

pfffft riding a motorbike isn't natural doesn't matter how old you are takes a bit of getting used to! don't stress it just breathe try keep relaxed, listen to the instructor and we look forward to your upcoming posts about how much you love it and can't wait to do your DAS 😉

• Like 2

On 11/09/2021 at 18:13, Dajbosson86 said:

hi, I need some help and advice, I wouldn’t say I failed my cbt I had to stop it as my nerves and anxiety got to much for me last month when I had my cbt, I felt like i was all tensed thru out the whole day, and then the road bit came and I just couldn’t go on the road so I had to stop it, but I now have a 1 on 1 on the 1st of next month I would say I’m still nervous but any advice and tips? I’m 35 and feel so silly tbh but I have always wanted a bik.. any help would be much appreciated:-)

Nowt to feel silly about.

Clear and calm head will sort all the riding tense issues. 

Practice deep breathing exercises before the road section and be careful what you eat and drink. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a similar age to you when I did my CBT and rode a bike a lot. The extra weight can throw you, as well as having to keep the power on pretty much all the time (unlike on a bicycle where you 'disengage the drive' for slow manoeuvres)

Don't panic, don't feel silly, it'll come. The right instructor will get you through.

I suffer with anxiety and would suggest, Identify the anxiety triggers then work on those with your instructor. Get that out of the way and you can then concentrate and learn the rest. Triggers could be U-turns - slow manoeuvring or what ever it is for you, discuss with the instructor and good luck 👍  

• 2 months later...
On 11/09/2021 at 18:13, Dajbosson86 said:

I know exactly how u feel!!! I am on meds for anxiety but when I first went out on road I was a wreck! I found kalms and munching a banana before going out really helped me! Good luck!!