Buying selling bank transfer v cash

onesea

I have come to the thinking that if buying or selling anything over a couple of £100 bank transfer is the way forward.

particularly if item is an easily stolen item pushbike, dinghy, motorbike part, tv etc.

We are all aware that you can only take £2-300 out of your bank cash at anyone time.

Most of us have internet banking… My routine:
1) Send a small amount £1-5 pounds, they can confirm the amount when received.

2) Send deposit if required (collecting later etc),

3) On collection send the rest.

Reasoning being if anyone ever questions the items history you have record of where you purchased it.

3 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Or paypal

For buying certainly but selling PayPal to good and giving your money away. There buyer protection is strong, have heard to many nasties.  
It has scratch that was not on the description…

Ive always either used bank transfer for cash for buying second hand bikes, Did so for the K1200GT (BT) F800S (BT) my second GS (BT) all previous bikes were pre internet and so bought with cash, The charges for PayPal transfers fall on the seller and they usually balk at that.

Edited by Gerontious

On 15/09/2021 at 08:02, onesea said:

For buying certainly but selling PayPal to good and giving your money away. There buyer protection is strong, have heard to many nasties.  
It has scratch that was not on the description…

yeah, but the paypal friends and family option negates any buyer protection, and fees, basically a transfer.

20 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Bank transfers are the way to go imo. I've had issues with PayPal in the past so prefer to avoid them. Also if the seller is reluctant to share bank details it might indicate a less than honest deal.?

I've never understood why (even legit) people are shady about bank details.  Having a sort code and account number doesn't give you access to anyone's bank, loads of customer services reps at your utility companies have your details anyway.

• Like 4

I bought my M3 with a bank transfer, went to look at it and paid a deposit, went back the following week and paid the balance by transfer when I got there. Turning up to an unknown persons house with a wad ful of cash is risky business.

I only use PayPal for buying stuff off ebay, given up selling anything on there, too much hassle.

9 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

I bought my M3 with a bank transfer, went to look at it and paid a deposit, went back the following week and paid the balance by transfer when I got there. Turning up to an unknown persons house with a wad ful of cash is risky business.

I only use PayPal for buying stuff off ebay, given up selling anything on there, too much hassle.

Ooh which m3? 

On 16/09/2021 at 09:35, geofferz said:

I've never understood why (even legit) people are shady about bank details.  Having a sort code and account number doesn't give you access to anyone's bank, loads of customer services reps at your utility companies have your details anyway.

I can easily set up a direct debit on your account using those details, and many people are amazingly lax at checking what comes out of their bank account each month.

It wouldn't stop me giving them out, as I'm like a hawk when it comes to my account. But Jeremy Clarkson found this out the hard way when he posted his bank details in his newspaper column claiming no one could use them maliciously 🤣

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

I can easily set up a direct debit on your account using those details, and many people are amazingly lax at checking what comes out of their bank account each month.

It wouldn't stop me giving them out, as I'm like a hawk when it comes to my account. But Jeremy Clarkson found this out the hard way when he posted his bank details in his newspaper column claiming no one could use them maliciously 🤣

Yeah but only legit companies are allowed to collect direct debits. My old company traded for 15 years, 3m turnover, had to jump through loads of hoops. And the money is always recoverable. 

I used Bank transfer when I bought the Harley . I got the seller to take me to a bank . Hand over debit card , say " Please give this bloke £4,200 " Seller hands over debit card . I get a bit of paper and that's it . Well almost ..........Then the seller says in a horrible mock foreign accent so all the bank can hear " Very good  , now I release your family "  Great .🤣

• Haha 6

On 19/09/2021 at 11:10, geofferz said:

Yeah but only legit companies are allowed to collect direct debits. My old company traded for 15 years, 3m turnover, had to jump through loads of hoops. And the money is always recoverable. 

I'd say it's pretty easy now, having gone through the process to set up a voluntary organisation to use GoCardless. As they effectively become the intermediary you don't need a Service User Number from your bank, and you can sign up as an individual. Prove you own the bank account you're sending funds to and et voila. 

In this case, the hoops you mentioned have already been jumped through by GoCardless.