Idle wild...

Guest lukefiori

Hey guys.

My 125 idles quite low, not sure what revs as no tachometer. But unless i give it throtle when startin to move in first it will cut out at idle.. How do I know what to set the idle screw to???

thanks

all bikes you have to rev to set off otherwise it would be dangerous as if you fell off or something then it would come to a stop and not drag you aong or run someone over.

Look on the carb(s) for a screw pointing sideways. Screw it in one turn when the engine is running to see what happens. If nothing happens, then put it back how it was or you may damage the engine.

Or use the adjuster on the throttle on the handlebars

all bikes you have to rev to set off otherwise it would be dangerous as if you fell off or something then it would come to a stop and not drag you aong or run someone over.

Look on the carb(s) for a screw pointing sideways. Screw it in one turn when the engine is running to see what happens. If nothing happens, then put it back how it was or you may damage the engine.

Or use the adjuster on the throttle on the handlebars

It's not really for adjusting the tick over, its for adjusting the slack out of the throttle cable so it doesn't rev its nuts off when you turn the handlebars! :wink:

you could make it tight though so the throttle is always on a little bit. That is only if you cant be arsed to fiddle with the carb

you could make it tight though so the throttle is always on a little bit. That is only if you cant be bum to fiddle with the carb

You could, but as soon as you turn the handlebars the revs go up, which could be a little exciting if your doing a u-turn :lol:

Idle screw on the carb, screw it all the way in then screw it out two and a half turns, check the idle speed if still not to your likeing then turn the screw a little more till its how you want it. 8)

Do not ajust at the bars.

What bike do you ride? And what carburetor does it have? Would be a little more helpful for the people trying to give advice.

You could of course turned the wrong screw.

Have you made sure you've turned the idle speed screw? And not the fuel mixture screw? It's an easy mistake.

The fuel mixture screw alters the pilot jet and the pilot jet controls your fuel mixture at idel to 1/8 throttle opening.

The idle screw just alters the speed. Which is what you want. Usually when you screw it in it speeds the idle up. By acting as a stop. When you screw it in it raises the throttle slid up. Increasing your revs.

Hope this helps. Give a shout if it doesn't :)

Edited by Triumph_Rat

mine has an idler screw on the fixing where the cable goes on the carb its made to be adjusted by hand so no tools needed, had to do this on mine , it sounds like what you are needing to do, can get a pic of mine teusday morning and post on this thread showing you what to look for on yours if it is simalar

I had this problem on my old rs50. To stop it i switched it on with the choke then i gave it a rev upto about 5000rpm and then switch the choke off immediately and the revs drop to about 1,500rpm untill a minute or two later when it goes up to about 2,500rpm.

You are letting your Motorbike warm up properly before riding it? If i don't do that on my bikes it will cut out.....

As already been said. Most carbs idle screw are set between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 turns out from fully screwed in.

Mikuni carbs are the ones thats easy to get the idle and the fuel mixture screws mixed up. The bigger knob/screw is usually the idle.

you should be doing all this when its hot. If you have trouble keeping it going when its cold, use the choke, thats what its for. All engines need to be warmed up before you adjust anything.

you should be doing all this when its hot. If you have trouble keeping it going when its cold, use the choke, thats what its for. All engines need to be warmed up before you adjust anything.

Sorry thats wrong alley.

You should set your idle up when the engine is cold. And fine tune it when hot. If it needs any adjustment atall when hot. Which is hardly ever. You should only ever use your choke for intial starting and getting a little warmth into the engine(enough so it idles with out choke). When in cold weather or cold engine. Depending on your bike and engine. You should never ride with choke on really. Doesn't do the engine good. And its dangerous. Bending down to push/switch off.

Edited for spelling mistakes.